Gear Shift fell into floorboard

faithin1

:
1994 mazda protege
In my 1994 Mazda Protege the gearshift sits on my floorboard. It is like a bushing or bracket or something that actually holds the gear shift stable and UP INTO THE CAR is gone. I can drive the car fine, I just have to pick the stick up and fumble around for the right gear. The bottom of the shift lever is actually sitting on the exhaust.

Anyone have any idea what this is and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Michelle

Last edited:
This thread is a little old, but.....

unfortunately no but this isnt the right forum for protege related questions.

check out www.clubprotege.com forums, they know whats up

This isn't the right forum for Protege related questions? I know this is a (mostly new) Mazda forum, but this sub section is for 1st and 2nd gen PROTEGES. Did you not read the rules about posting links to other forums? How is anybody here supposed to learn from eachother if they're being sent to other sites?

faithin1, if you've gotten this problem fixed, please post up what you found was wrong and how you fixed it. The knowledgebase on these forums needs to grow and I hope that you can contribute to it.

Necrothread bump; I'm having this issue right now and I used every combo of words I could think of to search 24/7 for repair info on a 1st gen Protege. Only two threads for this exact issue and this is one of them. I did check out the 'other' site mentioned and found quite a bit of info there on this problem as well as fixes.

I will post my fix-n-pics on both sites so the information can be shared to all Mazda owners.

Thanks for the vid Natey but I'm looking for a more solid repair. I've got some tips I'm exploring and will decide what's more mechanically sound to implement.

This thread is a little old, but.....

This isn't the right forum for Protege related questions? I know this is a (mostly new) Mazda forum, but this sub section is for 1st and 2nd gen PROTEGES. Did you not read the rules about posting links to other forums? How is anybody here supposed to learn from eachother if they're being sent to other sites?

faithin1, if you've gotten this problem fixed, please post up what you found was wrong and how you fixed it. The knowledgebase on these forums needs to grow and I hope that you can contribute to it.

I think he meant that clubprotege is more active and that OP is more likely to find help there rather then here.

on Mazdas247, the only section of this forum that is really active is the CX-5 section. however, I do agree that knowledge is somewhat lacking on this forum compared to the more enthusiastic BMW forums.

Got this issue fixed using a bracket I got from a dude I found on the MX-3.com site who's made them in the past.

Dropped gear shifter:

DSC03234.jpg

DSC03235.jpg

Bracket:

DSC03233.jpg

Installed:

DSC03237.jpg

I did not have to drop the exhaust but I did disconnect the extension bar assembly so I could R/R the plate the plate to drill the hole.

Back