Drain and fill the transfer case and differential

macattack

:
2008 CX-9 GT
Hi all,

I need to do this and have a few questions.

I can't see/find the drain for the transfer case (it does have one right?) I see a plug on the passenger side of the case but it's up pretty high, so I think it is for filling/checking the level. Anyone done this, or have a picture?

For the differential and the transfer case, do you fill till it drips out of the fill holes (I have the capacities but it's hard to measure when you pump the fluid in)--that's how every other vehicle I've done was speced?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc

There should be a drain plug at the bottom of the transfer case. If there is none there, it is possible that the only way to get the fluid out is to suck it out from the fill hole.

Correct fluid level is about 1/4-1/2 inch below the fill hole. I have filled it to the top and sucked out a little, or put my finger in far enough to lower the fluid enough to get it at the right level.

I thought I would reply to this old post because I have been looking for the same information. I too thought I would drain and fill the transfer case once I was doing the differential. Apparently though, Mazda thinks this is a bad idea. The 2008 FSM has this very stern warning:

"TRANSFER SERVICE CAUTIONS
- Do not perform overhauling and other servicing such as transfer oil inspection, adjustment, and
replacement. Adjusting the oil amount leads to over-fill or under-fill, which could cause oil leakage or
seizure of the transfer while driving. In addition, internal parts for overhauling are not available.
- A maintenance-free type transfer has been adopted. If there is a malfunction with the transfer unit, replace
the transfer as a single component."

I think that is the first time I've read a warning against "inspection." The 2010 FSM removes the stern warning from 2008, and it also describes a procedure for removing the fill plug and checking the oil level, but there doesn't seem to be any suggestion that this procedure should be carried out on a regular basis. Also there is no drain plug. So maybe it is best just to leave this alone? (I wonder if staring at the outside of the transfer case for too long also risks damaging it?!)

I haven't check but is the CX-9 transfer case the same as the speed6, if so then I don't see why not replacing the fluid.

I'm not sure, but I don't think they are the same. For example, I think the speed6 transfer case has a drain plug. I don't think the cx-9 has one. So you wouldn't be able to drain the fluid on the 9 - though you could probably use a suction gun to get some/most of the fluid out.

That seems a little odd to me. I might have to ask my dealer about this one. I just can't see how fluid in something with moving parts doesn't age...

That seems a little odd to me. I might have to ask my dealer about this one. I just can't see how fluid in something with moving parts doesn't age...

TK, have u got a chance to ask your dealer onthe transfer case oil?

Back