turning on high beams turn off low beams on MSP, bummer!!

2088 MSP

PS!
Potential Scammer!
:
03.5 silver MSP
so i retrofitted my headlights with the bixenon morimoto's only to find out that my MSP automatically turns the low beams off if you are trying to flash somebody or if u switch to Highs.

any input on how to fix it?

Well isn't it one bulb so when u turn the highs on the lows are gonna turn off they both don't stay on...if there was 2 bulbs maybe but evan at that they would switch....if im not mistaken that's whats supposed to happen

well at first i didnt really know or care about it and now i confirmed it, so what i'm looking for is a way to fix it. like is there a way to rewire it in the dash or under the hood? any inputs?

edit: basically i want to make the low's stay on when switching the High's on

you do know that in most all states its illeagal to have a 2nd set of lights or any aux lights on while you have high beams turned on? turning on high beams also turns off fog lights

DOES ANYBODY READ THE FIRST post anymore? its morimoto retrofits, meaning its a single filament HID's with a electric actuator in the projectors themselves, that moves the cuttoff line higher up thus giving you the Hi beam.

and even if you ignore that. i'm asking for input on how to rewire the lows to stay on. if you dont have any constructive thoughts, why posts at all?

edit: its a MSP its has a three prong headlight harness, 1 black ground, 1 red 12V low beam power, 1 red 12V Hi beam power. when you turn the highs on, the power stops going thru the low beam wire and goes thru the high beam wire, thus 1 flash sequence goes like this: turning off the ballasts, triggering the actuators in the projectors, turning on the ballasts.

and i want to change it so it keeps constant power to lows and just triggers the high beam power wire when i want to

Last edited:
Are you saying your Hi beams are not brighter than your lows? your cut off line doesn't change? I don't understand how the low beams could be off if the cut off line is the only thing changing when u hit the high beams. Can you elaborate a little more for the functional retards?

All questions are constructive. Maybe not to you, but chances are they will end up helping another Protege owner in the future(excluding blatent hate)

MSP --> One big plastic reflector bowl, one bulb. High beam effect is achieved with the actuator in the projectors themselves. when u trigger that actuator, it lowers a little piece of metal in there, and basically unrestricts the projectors to their full capacity, thus giving you the high beam.

edit: this thing:
but its not important, i just want to rewire the thing to keep the lows on all the time
MorimotoProjector--02.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still confused. If its one bulb with one beam being diverted, how can you keep the lows on with the highs? Aren't the lows still on since its just an actuator changing the flow of light? If you had p5 retrofitted headlights the idea would seem feasible, but wit sedan housing its a bulb limitation vs. a wiring issue I think.
Hopefully a more experience member will chime in.

Last edited:
I understand, but what I'm saying is that in your situation with your particular bulb it can't be done. I could easily be wrong though; if it can be done someone will chime in.

What 2088 MSP is trying to get across is that he has a bi-xenon retrofit NOT plug-and-play H4 HID bulbs. There is only one "filament" that remains on all the time. Switching to the high beams doesn't turn on a new "filament" it just changes the way the light is reflected.

What you need to fix your problem is a set of relays that keep the one bulb on at all times. I have seen the relay harnesses that should work for our cars here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/. The should have some sort of wiring harness that keeps the light on at all times and only actuates the solenoid for the highs.

Also, the above link has TONS of information about bi-xenon and retrofitting HIDs if you want to know more. (No, I don't have any business affiliations with them at all. They just have a good FAQ section)

Last edited:
damn and blast! i was hoping you wouldn't point to the retrofit source, i know they have that harness i dont really want to pay 30 bucks for a bunch soldered wiring i could do myself, but oh well.

Back