2011 Grand Touring

Gunga

:
2011 CX-9 GT AWD
Anyone know if they have changed the Tires on the 2011 Grand Touring.
Have heard nothing but negitave comments about the OEM Duelers.

Don't think so, but not sure about it.

It is a scam really.
Tire company such as Bridgestone sold Mazda the same tires for $100 each, and sell them at $217 on the market.
Most naive customers will replace worn tires with the same brand and model. That is when Bridgestone makes big money.
Bridgestone is not alone in this business model. The same practice can be found in many sectors, and by many brands
in the same sector (such as tires). Printer ink is another good example.
(Same Dueller H/L can be found on Toyota Highlanders as well)

What can one do?
Choose the best tires that fit your needs. Don't insist on replacing them with OE ones.

My boss just replaced the tires on his MB ML for $1400 total (same OE tires).
My new set of Spec-X only cost me about 1/2 that.
I am sure he makes more money than I do, so who care?!

Last edited:
Am looking to lease a 2011. Will be primary for winter use and was hopeing I don't have to replace the tires
in the 1st few months. That's way I was asking what tires the 2011 comes with.

I don't think that 's a good idea if you will be driving in snow alot.

I just mounted a set of Blizzak DMV1s to some Sport Edition KV5 wheels and I can tell by the tread pattern, sipes, and tread depth that the Blizzaks will easily outdo the 20" Bridgestones which have flat "blocks" of tread that will lose traction easily.

I ended up doing a -2 and going with the 18" wheels and taller tires. I'll snap some photos tomorrow. They actually look pretty good with the 5-spoke pattern.

I agree with Wisconsin Proud. If you do lots of winter driving, it is way better to have two set of tires/wheels.
One with snow tires for winter. The OE will do well in three other seasons.
Few (if any) all-season tires can beat snow tires on snow.

I've been running Blizzak WS60s on my company cars over the years (mostly GM front drive cars) and the grip is hard to describe. Don't forget the huge benefit of shorter braking distances as well.

I wish the DMV1s were not uni-directional, especially for heavier vehicles where outside tread takes alot of abuse. I acn usually get 4-5 winters from a set of Blizzaks. We'll see how the DMV1s hold up compared to the WS60s.

I agree with Wisconsin Proud. If you do lots of winter driving, it is way better to have two set of tires/wheels.
One with snow tires for winter. The OE will do well in three other seasons.
Few (if any) all-season tires can beat snow tires on snow.

Just looking for an answer to my question.

If you read this thread

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123785157-Just-Ordered-Yokohama-Parada-Spec-X

The last posts indicate basically no improvement over the oem tires except in snow which I would change to winter tires anyway.

I personally think there is always a bias against oem tires ON ALL MAKES. People just feel they can get something better to make them feel like they made an informed decision.

Face it, the cx9 is not a sports car! Any tire on a 4000+ lbs vehicle will wear out with spirited driving.

Just looking for an answer to my question.

Again, I'm just asking if they changed the make oe model od the 20" tires on the 2011 Grand Touring ?
Are they the same tires thar the 2010 had?

I am not interested in Snow Tires!

Again, I'm just asking if they changed the make oe model od the 20" tires on the 2011 Grand Touring ?
Are they the same tires thar the 2010 had?

I am not interested in Snow Tires!

Pictures of the 2011 wheels show a tire with the number 400 on them. My 2010 tires have this same number 400 on the sidewall. I can't read the actual name brand of the tires on the website but this is a good indication they are the same tires.

Actually, I think OE tires are great Summer tires.
Just don't perform well on snow, and it is a bit noisier due to bigger tread blocks.

The same Bridgestone tires remain for 2011, in both the 18" and 20" sizes. No change over 2010 and before, other than the wheel designs.

Mazda must have some sort of contract with Bridgestone on the tires.
Nothing probably will happen until next remodeling of CX9 at end of 2012
as 2013 model (6-year model is typical for lower volume vehicles, with
3-yr mid-model refreshing at 2010).

Back