How many miles on empty warning light

slyzxx

:
mazdapseed 3
How many miles do you normally get when the light turns on for empty and which gas should i use. I just bought mine 2 weeks ago so i`m not sure.

Please search the forum, this topic has been discussed greatly. On highway, I get 280-300 miles with additional 40 miles of driving after the light turn on. 93 octane is required and I like kroger or Sunoco gas.

NEVER let it get to the point where the light comes on. Fuel pumps are expensive. Been there, done that. The O/M says 93

NEVER let it get to the point where the light comes on. Fuel pumps are expensive. Been there, done that. The O/M says 93

My 2008 owners manual on page 4-2, says "91 [(R+M)/2 method] or above" for the "2.3-liter turbocharger engine" (it also states that 87 octane can be "used temporarily for emergency purposes"). The highest Southern California offers is 91 octane at the pump (with 1 or two stations offering 100 octane Race Fuel).

The light comes on for me between 280-310 miles depending on my driving for that tank. Never heard of a problem with fuel pumps going out when if you fill up right after the light comes on.

Typically the light comes on with ~2 gallons of gas or more still left in the tank.

Last edited:
unfortunatly sometimes it does go on empty when the light comes on don't have a choice on the highway.

Agreed, NEVER run it down to where the light comes on. Fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel itself, and it's a tremendous amount of labor and cost to replace them, I know the one in my Camaro was about 900 to replace and that was with bare minimum labor. It's not worth breaking down, waiting for the tow truck, and paying out the ass to not put a few bucks in the car.

I wonder how you guys are getting 300 miles out of your cars per tank. I average 240. I got 300 when I drove to TN though but it was all interstate travel with the cruise control on.

I wonder how you guys are getting 300 miles out of your cars per tank. I average 240. I got 300 when I drove to TN though but it was all interstate travel with the cruise control on.

I with you on this I avg: 230- 240 before the light, and that only if I travel at the posted speed limit, 60 MPH and no 75 -80...LOL But I look at it as if I what a gas mileage range that is more then I'll end up paying more during fill ups. 11 Gallons is my normal pumped average..

I have gotten 428 miles on a tank of gas and 64 of it was after the light came on. I had a 2 gal gas tank in the rear just in case. Just wanted to see how far it would go! Summer Hwy driving, 68MPH average (cruise), had almost 1 gal left in tank at fill up. 31+ MPG!

I've gotten as high as 28 on road trips using the cruise exclusively, but never broke 30. These days most of my miles are interstate miles though. 75MPH sucks a lot more gas than 60MPH.

Yeah the most i've ever gotten was like 410, Mostly high way commutes travelin at bout 65 mph :) THe least I ever got was 250 -_- I drove my baby "spiritually" :)

I have gotten 428 miles on a tank of gas and 64 of it was after the light came on. I had a 2 gal gas tank in the rear just in case. Just wanted to see how far it would go! Summer Hwy driving, 68MPH average (cruise), had almost 1 gal left in tank at fill up. 31+ MPG!

Is your car completely stock?

Wow! Over 400 is crazy! The best miles per tank I've been able to get is 365.... and I thought that was f*cking awesome. Typically I'll get 340/tank (thats about 12.5 gallons). :)

Old post but I've never heard of a fuel pump going bad from low fuel levels. Thermistors? Maybe. But the baffles in modern fuel tanks do a good job of limiting inconsistencies. So the pump is always getting a consistent flow of gasoline down to the last few ounces.

Old post but I've never heard of a fuel pump going bad from low fuel levels. Thermistors? Maybe. But the baffles in modern fuel tanks do a good job of limiting inconsistencies. So the pump is always getting a consistent flow of gasoline down to the last few ounces.

The pump is cooled by the fuel. Repeated "run it on fumes" overheats and kills the pump. Like I said: been there, done that, to the tune of a $500 fuel pump in a Dodge van.

Back