alignment issues

leorules27

:
2002 mazda protege 5
I just installed tokico blues on my P5.
So after the alignment, i noticed that my car drifts to the right. It dosent pull, but if i let loose the steering, it tends to drift to the right. So shud i go back and tell the shop tht they didnt align it ryt. Or there cud be some other reasons.
I just installed new rims and i didnt balance them, but the previous owner said tht they were balanced.
So wat could be the reason,

If the tires aren't new they could be worn funny, try swapping the rear tires with the fronts. If that doesn't change anything take it back to the shop to get the alignment fixed.

Take a look at the white dot on top of the strut mounts. The dots should be mirror images of each other. I.e. if the driver side dot is towards the front and away from the car, then the passenger side dot should also be towards the front and away from the car. If they are not mirror images of each other, the shop screwed up.

Didn't you get a printout of the alignment? If the numbers look right then maybe something is wrong with your tires. Or maybe one of your brake calipers is seizing. Stop after driving for a while, put your hand near each wheel. If one or more wheels feel noticeably warmer than the others then that brake caliper is probably seizing. Lube it up and see if the problem goes away.

Y wud a seized caliper cause dis... Nways ill check it.
Yea i did get a printout, but i didnt look at any no.'s... Ill have a look
white dot??? Can u send me a pic.

Here's a pic. The dots are actually pink before fading occurs. Look at the top of the strut in the pic. The one on the opposite side should mirror the one in the pic. Towards the back of the car and out towards the sides of the car are factory positions.

323f_Ngin.JPG

Y wud a seized caliper cause dis... Nways ill check it.

Oh s***. I've finally figured out what this says :p

Anyway, a seized caliper will drag that wheel. It'd be like slightly putting on the brake. If one wheel is slightly braking and the others are rotating free then the car will pull to one side.

I suggest you check the numbers on the printout you got. Compare with this:
View attachment Alignment_specs.pdf - alignment specs from the Protege workshop manual.

If the numbers are out of whack, your alignment shop messed up. If the numbers are within range, you have other problems. Start with checking the calipers.

hey justin, i see ur P5 gives 33 mpg. I posted a thread for my bad mileage(Catalyic converter bank 1). You cud probably help me out, coz no one is replying to the thread

hey justin, i see ur P5 gives 33 mpg. I posted a thread for my bad mileage(Catalyic converter bank 1). You cud probably help me out, coz no one is replying to the thread

most of it's just driving style (i have a REALLY light foot...most of the time lol). also make sure you're tuned up and everything is working properly. also make sure all the crap is out of your car. I keep NOTHING in my car other than a few CDs and the spare tire and jack. when conditions have been right and i try really hard, I have gotten into the 40MPG+ range on the highway

Last edited:
try to check the tire pressure first... if it is ok then try rotate the front tires left to right.. if it is still pulling to the right then alignment is bad....but when start pulling to the left then the tires is bad....

Back