Transfer case leak or Drive shaft housing leak

altaski

On the passenger side you have the drive shaft. Follow in from front wheel to an aluminum housing with a seal. This housing is about 8-10 inches long. Follow it to where it bolts to the center transfer case housing.

I seem to have a leak between these to parts, transfer case center and axle housing. Can't imagine how it did that. Took it to the dealer early on when it was weeping and they said they wouldn't fix it as it wasn't dripping. Now it is dripping. Then was at 35k miles. Now is 83k miles.

Anyone had a leak here?

I had it too at around 40k miles. They've tried 3 times to fixed it(even Mazda engineer was involved) and at the end I got the whole transfer case replaced. This is well known issue with the first years of the model and as far as I know it is a very expensive replacement - sorry :).

i have a slight leak there. i've been waiting for it to get bad enough to take in. so, its the transfer case that I need to keep an eye on the fluid level eh? I wasn't positive where it was coming from.

leak pics

pictures of present leak

Attachments

• 110910.4.jpg
    110910.4.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 4,548
  • 110910.5.jpg
    110910.5.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 1,837
  • 110910.1.jpg
    110910.1.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 9,859
  • 110910.2.jpg
    110910.2.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 6,842
We had the samething on the transfer case, we were told that when they assembled the car that the fluid was put in before the gasket material wasn't setup. We took it in under warranty and it been fine since.

We had the samething on the transfer case, we were told that when they assembled the car that the fluid was put in before the gasket material wasn't setup. We took it in under warranty and it been fine since.

It takes 2 hours, minimum to have the RTV set up enough so it doesn't leak. I generally wait overnight when I do the sealant on transmissions.

Transfer Case Leak

Last week I went to a dealer and got the transfer case seals replaced per tsb 03-001/10. $794 Since I was under warranty when I tried to get it fixed, and the local dealer, Robberson Ford/Mazda said it wasn't leaking hard enough, then the law is it's covered until fixed. Now I'll be writing to Mazda and court if necessary.
I've had about four issue's go the same way. Mazda has been good about paying, but the hassle with the inept, lying dealers has been to much!

Back