protege5 steering wheel radio controls

:
mazda protege 5
is it possible to swap in a mazda3/5/6 steering wheel to obtain the radio controls on the wheel? i have been searching and found only a remote control to put on the steering wheel but i don't like it. i would rather have a OEM mazda wheel with the controls

I imagine it is possible as long as you run all the wring and have a hu that is compatible with steering wheel controls. I've never swapped a steering wheel myself but if I remember correctly the only real difference might be the grip size, the hub itself should be fine. If you're running the stock p5 hu I'm not sure if it will work with the steering wheel controls.

Very possible not that complicated i have a 2005 mazda 6 steering wheel in my protege 5.. And Love It!!

Attachments

• IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    618.2 KB · Views: 1,014
  • IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    598.4 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    548 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    531.3 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
Does it use the same factory plug used in the Pro5 or did you swap in the new "clock spring" from the Mazda6?

Do you have the use of all of the buttons on the Mazda6 wheel too?

Last edited:
Many units come with a remote these days. I wish someone made a bracket that would attach to the steering wheel which you could just snap in the remote. Would be a lot cheaper and easier.

my main concern is the airbag, the controls wouldn't too hard.
are the plugs the same? will it still trigger with the rest of the system?

Back