09 Speed 3 Blown Trans/clutch 20k miles dealer refuses to fix.

Blitzkrieg

:
2001 Blue MP3 Protege #394, 2003.5 Yellow Mica MSP #1201
Let me start this off by saying i purchased a brand new 2009 speed 3 gt in may of 09. It was purchased at Mazda of Milford in Milford ct as was the last 4 Mazdas i have owned excluding my MSP, I have never had a problem with this dealer or any warranty service needed for that matter until now.

The only mods i have done to my speed 3 are the dealer installed Mazdaspeed intake and Fiber Images carbon fiber hood, other then that my car is completely stock. So let the story begin..

Back in February of this year my car would randomly pop out of second gear, not all the time but mostly when making left hand turns. i brought it to the dealer to have it looked at and i was told they couldn't find anything wrong and they couldn't simulate what was happening. In April i brought the car back for the same issue only this time it would pop out of second gear if you hit the gas about half way or more, i was told it was a bad linkage cable and it was repaired and the car has been fine since..

well on Halloween i was on my way to the store when it started to pop out of second gear again and i noticed that it was very hard to get it to engage reverse. i continued to drive the car and was waiting to bring it to the dealer the following day. well the following day i was on my way to the dealer to drop it off for them to look at it when all of a sudden i heard a loud bang followed by a grinding sound sort of like when you grind a gear. I pulled over right then and there and was able to disengage it from sixth gear and pull over and see what happened or if the car was even drivable. i noticed that the only gears that worked was 3rd and 6th all other gears seemed to be non existent.

at this time i exactly 1/4 mile down the street form the dealer and i just drove the car the rest of the way there in 3rd gear. I made it to the dealer (Mazda of Milford) and told them what happened and left the car for them to look at it, this was on Monday 11/1/10. I get a phone call from the service guy mike on Tuesday that they are not sure what is wrong with the car but the transmission seems to have failed and states that they need to pull the transmission and see what happened. i authorized the repairs and wait to hear back.

I receive a phone call on Thursday 11/4/10 from Mike in service of Mazda of Milford and he states that someone in service took the car for a test drive and then returned with the car not drivable at all and that the slave cylinder has 0 pressure and now the clutch and flywheel are bad and need to be replaced and that no gears are working in the car, and he quotes me 8700$ to repair it.... Now wait a minute... Not only is the car only a year old but i purchased the extended warranty on the car even though the car is still well within the factory warranty period. Mike then goes on to state that because the car had now suffered a clutch failure and that i have the Mazdaspeed intake in the car (which was installed at the dealer) that my warranty is void and they will not fix it. I state that the car was malfunctioning when it was brought in but was drivable and now you are trying to return my car to me in underivable condition and your refusing to repair it. this goes back and forth for pretty much the whole day.

I contacted Mazda corporate which was no help at all and i contacted several other local Mazda dealers to find out that Mazda of Milford has put in the system my warranty is void. Today i went to the dealer to try and see if there was someone else i can talk to about this to get this problem solved. i spoke to Jason the service manager and he stated that due to the fact the car suffered a clutch failure this was the reason the transmission blew and now the transmission is no longer covered under warranty and that due to the extra horse power from to the intake the the clutch was unable to handle the power and therefor voided my warranty.... OK do i smell bulls*** or what???

i have never owned an automatic car, i learned to drive a car on a stick and i also never had clutch go on me ever, including my daily driven MP3 Protege with 160k on factory clutch and my beater rx7 with 156k on the factory clutch etc.. you get my point.

So now i have a brand new car that does not work or drive (though it was running and drivable when i brought it there) that has a voided warranty and on top of it they said if i dont have the car repaired or picked up by Sunday 11/7/10 i am going to be charged a 75$ a day storage fee.

At this point i have contacted the state attorney generals office the better business bureau and the ct state dmv office to try and get some form of justice here. I have no idea what i am going to do nor do i have the money to even fix it, and i think even if i did have the money i wouldn't fix it. i need to hear what all you Mazda people have to say about this horrific ordeal.

Last edited:
What was their responce for the factory intake that they installed that caused the problem? that 5 hp you gained is what messed up the clutch... haha

That is severely messed up. I think you're taking the right actions though by going legal. I would even get a lawyer There's no way they can say that intake caused the failure. Keep us updated!

You've got to be kidding me. The clutch FAILED exploded and blew out the tranny. You have service records about the car popping out of gear, I Factor intake( Mazdaspeed is Mazda factory option) An carries the factory warrenty. An they are tring to charge you for a tranny. Call Mazda till the fix it. If not Contact the Lemon law people( Breach of Factory warrenty). I have used them a couple of times.. Wife 07 SAAB( POS) Paid us $$ and we dumped the car.. An my 04 350Z ( Oil consumpion) replaced the motor.. But both of these dealers did nothing till I got a laywer from the lemon law..

Sorry man, I know what you are going though and it BLOWS

Back