Metal on metal rattling sound? I've read to check brakes/end links?

So my Protege5 has been rattling for about 4 days now. A quick internet search this morning mentioned a number of things; end links and brakes. When I drove home after work I'm going to see if the rattle goes away when I have the brakes applied. Other then that, any other suggestions? I've even heard loose exhaust points.

Also, how bad is it to drive like this? I might not have enough money for another month for repairs....

Edit button wasnt working for me...

So looked up the stabilizer control link and alot of people seem to suggest it as a problem. I took a look at the service manual and it seems like a do-able fix. I will try to see if nots brake related but would you guys agree, it sounds like a stabilizer control link problem?

When my end links where bad they clunked. I had a terrible rattle that was caused by the exhaust heat shield being loose. I would check that first, because changing the endlinks requires cutting them off a lot of the time.

When my end links where bad they clunked. I had a terrible rattle that was caused by the exhaust heat shield being loose. I would check that first, because changing the endlinks requires cutting them off a lot of the time.

does the rattle happen when idling? a lot of rattles are because of the exhaust heat shields. i had one fall off 2 years ago... cured my rattle. now their is another one. i think it is a shield near my fan. maybe it too will fall off. rust does solve some things i guess.

No rattling when idling. Also no rattling on smooth roads. The only time it rattles is over bumps or potholes.

A good way to check if it's the endlinks is to take off the wheels from the half of the car that the sound is coming from and tugging on them. If there's any looseness in the ball joint then it's shot. To figure out which half of the car the sound is coming from just drive over a small bump until you hear the sound (the bump at the end of my driveway is what I used).

If it's not the endlinks, it could be a leaky strut or a strut mount. However, I'd listen to Rockin03mp5 and check your heatshields. Jack up one side of the car and poke the catalytic converter with a broom handle, if its heatshield moves it's likely the cluprit.

you sure its not just change in the ash tray or other something rattling inside the car? ive heard of that happening before too. lol

So drove it home and basically by brake pedal acts like an on-off switch for the rattling. What should I be checking? Brake pads?

So drove it home and basically by brake pedal acts like an on-off switch for the rattling. What should I be checking? Brake pads?

so, does it rattle when you put on the brakes? or do the brakes make the rattling stop?

also, is the sound from the front or rear?

so, does it rattle when you put on the brakes? or do the brakes make the rattling stop?

also, is the sound from the front or rear?

Rattling from the right-front tire when I'm not on the brakes. The slightest touch of the brakes will stop the rattles.

I'll be taking off the wheel Saturday, any idea what to look for? I have the pdfs of the brake system saved from the service manual in case you want to reference anything I should be looking at.

jack it up and hit the tire with a hammer. Have someone stand outside the car and listen as you drive slowly over bumps. Or just pop the wheel off and have a look around.

I had that problem on the right rear when I put Mazda3 wheels on. Like he bore of the wheel hub was a hair to small and wouldn't clamp the rotor against the hub even though the lug's were torqued. I ended up dremeling a little wheel metal out of the bore till it slid completely on and clamped the rotor down.

Back