What's a good 2.5" downpipe to get?

pomidor

Contributor
:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
Currently, I have a stock MSP turbo with 'mostly' stock exhaust. I'll be replacing the exhaust soon, but before I so so, I'd like to start by picking a downpipe to buy.

I don't yet know if I'll be needing a full down-pipe (S and J pipe) or just the S-pipe. It all depends on what exhaust I end up getting later on. But I want to star finding out what downpipe options I have.

So I'd like to ask for some input from those of you who have some aftermarket MSP downpipe/knowledge experience

The downpipe criteria I'm looking for:

1:
Better exhaust flow than the stock downpipe.
(I'm guessing this criteria will be met by any aftermarket down-pipe for MSP)

2:
2.5" exit diameter (I'll be looking to get 2.5 exhaust in neat future)

Nice to have:

3:
Downpipe with a flex-pipe...maybe?
(I saw a downpipe online which looked like it had a built in flex-pipe. Maybe I misinterpreted the bulge in the piping as a flex-pipe. But if such a configuration exists, it might be a bonus if it doesn't come at too much of a added cost)

If you do have a downpipe recommendation/opinion do let me know if you're referring to the "j + s pipe" or just the "s-pipe"

{pomidor}

2.5... I think your only real option is Corksport. There were only a hand full of venders that made a DP for the MSP, MAM made a few 2.5 and 3" DP but they are no longer in business, GHL Made a divorced 3" they are no longer in business but can be bought I believe from some venders,
and of course the P.E.P 3" DP but as you can see the only real option you can still get new which means great option of used is the CorkSport.
Best case scenario is find a used piece Corksport so you don't have to worry about which exhaust or midpipe you have to mate it with.

Best case scenario is find a used piece Corksport so you don't have to worry about which exhaust or midpipe you have to mate it with.

when you say "used piece", you mean the whole Corksport exhaust?

no, the CS downpipe is an OEM replacement. you can use it with whatever you want. ion, GHL, and thepope540 are 3", meaning you should have a 3" exhaust to make it work correctly.

Yeah Corksport recently updated there design to make the DP all one piece, to the midpipe, which limits the which off the shelf exhaust you choose to mate to it.
The old design is like the Stock unit so it's 2 pieces. which means if you find an exhaust that has a "j" in the midpipe you don't have to use the bottom half of the Corksport DP

Yeah Corksport recently updated there design to make the DP all one piece, to the midpipe, which limits the which off the shelf exhaust you choose to mate to it.
The old design is like the Stock unit so it's 2 pieces. which means if you find an exhaust that has a "j" in the midpipe you don't have to use the bottom half of the Corksport DP

When did Corksport DP design change from the two-piece to the single piece?

On the old design, where's the O2 bung, on the "s" or on the "j" piece?

Here's the 2 versions as you can see the bung is on the lower section "j"

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• CS DP V2.jpg
    CS DP V2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,071
  • CS DP v1.jpg
    CS DP v1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,796
Last edited by a moderator:
How well would the CS DP (lets say: the one-piece) hook up to a custom-made 2.5" exhaust? Currently its a configuration I'm thinking of doing, but I have a bit of a concern with the CS DB being 2.4", while my custom exhaust will be 2.5" inch. The joining area between DP and rest of exhaust is where the spring-flex-hanger (I'm not sure what it's referred to exactly) goes.

Should I be concerned with possible exhaust leak with such a configuration?

Now, I should mention that the exhaust shop would receive the DB prior to them doing any fabrication of the custom-made 2.5" exhaust.

Corksport is great fit man. All their products are grade A. But aslong as the custom exhaust bolts up to stock. It will bolt up to the Corksport. It's the ONLY option for a aftermarket downpipe that is always being sold. All other companys are gone, or like the pope's 3", was a limited time.

Corksport, custom, or find a used one on the forum forsale are really the only way you will get a downpipe.

I had the stock MSP DP bolted to an aftermarket 3" exhaust without any leaks so you will have no problem with the coksport DP to an exhaust as long as the exhaust was built right and mounts to the stock s*** without ant leaks

I have a CS DP on 2.5" custom exhaust since may and it's good as hell man, no leak, perfect product.

Those are both the Corksport downpipes, the first version is the one piece and the second updated version is the two separate pieces. They are hard to find these days.

Crap. Yeah I acquired the first piece for about 10$ on offer up last year. If you know of anywhere to find it I'd love you forever.

I know someone that has the J pipe but I don't think he wants to sell it. I will ask. Otherwise like I said, they are hard to find. Best bet would be to put up a feeler on the facebook protege part groups. $10 is an amazing steal, you should be happy enough with that. That would easily go for $200 online.

That is awesome yeah the guy had no idea what it was and it looked well built to me. I appreciate you reaching out for me I just have been trying to get a suitable j pipe for it and really don't want to weld anymore without a flex pipe. I found a couple of tri bolt flanged pipes that don't have flex pipes and they were like 2.35in or something stupid when I actually put them on. I can tell the difference. Too much back pressure not good

Latest posts

Back