Review:Koni/h&r combo vs H&R coilovers

charlessss

:
MazdaSpeed 3
Well I have been searching and debating for months now on whether to switch out my H&R coilovers to a spring/shock combo. Reason being is that my commute gets a bit rough on some patches and mann it just sucks. SO after much research, and the help of Protege garage, I picked up the H&R springs and Koni shocks. I knew I was going to sacrifice some peformance for this combo, but wanted to the adjustability.

After about two weeks of driving, and letting the springs settle I wanted to compare the two on a daily driver/somewhat aggressive driving point of view. The konis are way much more comfortable vs the bilsteins on the H&R coilovers due to their rebound adjustability, especially on rouch patches. I have them set to a 2/2 setting and it is a perfect compromise. During Aggressive driving they feel planted on this set up, But I feel like I can stiffen them more. They are really comfortable on the softest setting, barely feel anything on the road. This is a perfect agreement between me and the wife haha, and our 1 year old. I recommend this combination if you wont see a track day ever, want something decently low, have a family, and use it on the daily like me.

Handling is where the H&R coilovers shine. They are truely impressive, and I had them paired with Hankook ventus v12 evos. I have been in a bunch of different sports cars, and this set up really made it a worthy opponent for some. These suckers are amazing in the handling department, I am even debating keeping them if I ever wanted to put them on again. They are so so for me in comfortability, never gave me problems, and great when on decent roads. I even slammed them and had the hankook 225/40 tucked, but can't find any pictures. They definitely can go low without making any custom adjustment to the suspension.

But damn it my commute sucks. I recommend this set up if you dont mind some harshness, and want to rip a new one on that unsuspecting sport compact right next to you. Just wanted to give a comparison between the two, and you really cant lose with either set up.

Heres a picture of ride height from the Koni/H&R/new advans combo:):

IMG_1139.jpg

did you or do you need new camber links? or does a regular alignment take care of it? I'm just wondering because I still have a set of H&R springs from the occ meet that I haven't put on and I was going to get the Koni's but didn't want to worry about negative camber.

Quiksilver05 you'll love the shocks.

did you or do you need new camber links? or does a regular alignment take care of it? I'm just wondering because I still have a set of H&R springs from the occ meet that I haven't put on and I was going to get the Koni's but didn't want to worry about negative camber.

Yea actually I did purchase a set of SPC camber links to be on the safe side if you dont want any neg camber. But I needed a bit more extra camber just to prevent rubbing.

Haha you can ignore my post on MSF. Glad you like the setup. You should try dailing up rebound to 75% stiff one day and see how you like them on a spirited drive. You may be pleasantly surprised.

One question - did you ever trim your rear jounce bumpers with the coilovers? That makes a HUGE difference in ride quality at lower settings.

Side note - if you want to offload the H&R's I'm in your area. I was looking to get another set in January to replace the MZ3 specific kit I have now.

I actually didnt even think about trimming them when I first installed them. This is actually one of the reasons why I am considering keeping them, but ill send you a PM. Ill definitely stiffen then all up one day and have some fun.

The Koni/H&R combo has a nice aggressive drop. And your wheel and tire size compliment it even more.

You really thought the H&R coilovers rode kind of harsh? I think H&R coilovers rode pretty nice for coilovers compared to a lot of coilovers.

Well if my roads on my commute wernt so crappy, I would have kept them on haha. They do ride decent/smooth on most roads though, just not the ones I do 5 days a week. If i get a different job next year, i may slap them back on if i still have them.

I don't know if it's the picture or the angle of the road, but you are way lower than me on my H&R
What kind of shocks are you on? These konis somehow lift up the front a tad more than the back... It could be the tire size/wheel offset that makes it look lower than it is.

Nice Man! Ive got RZ's too except 18x8. I recently went with H&R and Bilstein Sports, and love that setup......
Nice dude. Ive seen them, look great.

Last edited:
Yea actually I did purchase a set of SPC camber links to be on the safe side if you dont want any neg camber. But I needed a bit more extra camber just to prevent rubbing.

Good to know. Did you install everything yourself? If so how hard of a install? especially the camber links cause I haven't seen a how to on here for that

Actually I didnt install the camber links myself. I brought those to my suspension guy. I believe Ive seen a how to on another forum, but not sure which one sorry. A buddy helped me with everything else.

About 1.5," directly proportional to my drop. I made sure to cut them along the ribbed edge so they can be reintalled if I choose to raise the car again.

Back