Clunk noise when I shift.

1slowp5

I hear a weird clunking noise from the drivers side engine bay when I shift. It only seems to come when I am getting on it. I cant find anything loose and not sure what to look for next.

Having the same issue right now. Mine is due to the engine mounts being torn near the rad and firewall. I would guess yours would be due to the same thing.

+1 to the motor mount. not saying it'll be the rear one but check all of them out. you'll be able to tell if one is torn or not.

+2 and +3 on the motor mounts...
+2 because a year ago the bolt on my driver side mount decided to come out.
+3 because now the clunk is back, bolt is fine, but the front and pass side mounts are thoroughly cracked.

Also check in the endlinks behind the front wheels. they had their own clunk last year when worn, but fine this year after replacement.

Yeap, my front motor mount is ripped. I guess I might as well replace them all. 125,xxx miles and counting. Time to look for a set I can afford.

Get it done sooner than later. I'm having to replace the transmission on my MS6 because my transmission mount was broken, and I didn't know, until I finally heard it clunking... replaced with an AWR mount and heard griding/whining, and now my trans is mangled and my flywheel busted. Transmission clunking around isn't a good thing ;\

Hopefully you've been going easy and haven't been driving with it for too long, but definitely get it fixed sooner rather than later.

tell me what you guys get quoted for the engine mount replacement.

i just got quoted $957 for a shop to replace all four.
i can do it myself but i was curious on what it would cost to have a shop do it.
i think almost 1000 dollars is ridiculous.

I'm going to have my dad's friend help me with the install. I ordered a set off ebay. Got a transmission mount, rear and front for $125 shipped.

$1000 sounds ridiculous.....~lest be real generous and say $250 for the parts...pass mount takes about 20 min to replace, front...maybe an hr if you have some rusted nuts/bolts, tranny...maybe anothe hr or 2. So, lest say this dude is charing you $100/hr labor, then he'd still have 4 hours to do just the rear.

also...1k is about 1/4 of the value of car, and its driveable of you replace it or not! also, all 4 are probably not shot.

I guess my parts showed up today. I wont be home til tomorrow. My dad's friend is going to come over tomorrow night and show me how to install them.

I went home for the weekend and got help installing the motor mounts. It went real quick and was not as bad as I thought it might be. The front one took about 10 minutes and was very easy. The transmission mount took about an hour since I had to remove the battery. It was easy though. Do not get me going on the rear (blarf)
Took about 2 hours, 10 smoke breaks and a few drinks with the family. It's fustrating to get in. First impressions, at start up the motor mounts caused a grip of vibrations. Now I have about 600 mles on them and they are not bad at all. I was told they would take about one week to break in.

Still having a clunk noise. I changed out my MM and still have a clunk noise when I take off or brake hard. What could it be?

Still having a clunk noise. I changed out my MM and still have a clunk noise when I take off or brake hard. What could it be?

Are you certain that all the bolts related to the tranny motor mount (4 on the transaxle, 4 on the chassis) are tightened down to at least 65 ft.lbs?

tell me what you guys get quoted for the engine mount replacement.

i just got quoted $957 for a shop to replace all four.
i can do it myself but i was curious on what it would cost to have a shop do it.
i think almost 1000 dollars is ridiculous.

1000?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
are you KIDDING ME!
i hope they give you a massage, foot rub, and an open bar while you wait for those monkeys to finish taping your car with a wrench.
that's way to much to replace some motor mounts :S

1000?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
are you KIDDING ME!
i hope they give you a massage, foot rub, and an open bar while you wait for those monkeys to finish taping your car with a wrench.
that's way to much to replace some motor mounts :S

I tried to figure it out, but unless it takes them 5 hours I don't understand that price.

Code:
Mazda MSRP for the mounts:
 Front:  $53.75
 Rear:   $88.95
 Right: $184.59
 Left:   $93.49
Total:  $420.78

Their price minus Colorado state tax (2.9%): $957.00 * 0.971 = $929.25
Their price for labor: $929.25 - $420.78 = $508.47

Let's assume $100/hr for labor since it's a dealership.

Time to complete the job: $508.47 / $100/hr = 5.08hrs

I bet I could do it quicker :)

Can you tell I'm bored?

Back