Busted Hatch Lift Support - Rust Strikes Again!

RABID_MP5

:
2002 Protege5
My hatch always sprung up OK, then one day it fell hard, a broken lift support almost taking out a tail light. Upon inspection I found that the thin area before the ball in the ball & socket joint had broken right there. Odd, I thought.

Upon looking at it, I'm pretty sure it was that the ball joints on the supports had rusted till solid. Then the lifting action torqued the metal to death. (The amount of motion in these joints is very small)

On the other one, I unbolted it and verified it was basically almost seized. I got it going with Blaster and plenty of movement. Then I greased it. (NOTE: I had noticed these rusting before and put a little spray lithium on them. It's NOT enough once they are really rusting)

As for the broken one, I was able to save the 30 bucks by drilling out the base piece, putting the stump in the hole, and running a zip tie over it to hold it in the hole. Back in business!

So you might want to take time and lube these. Even remove as I did if rust is apparent.

Thanks for the heads-up, I just checked my ball joints this morning and sure enough, both of them are rusted solid.

Another thing to fix :(

Back