AN7's Mazda 2 1.5 Sport - Greece

After the problem that i had withthe clutch that was slipping a friend of mine had for sale a 6-puck from another mazda that it is a direct fit.

6puck.jpg

Finally no more clutch slipping :D

2 vids from last night

i raced against an audi TT 1.8 20vt with induction, ecu remap and exhaust estimated around to 240bhp

It wasn't my day with the rev limiters

After almost 20k miles and a very abusive driving (i believe that 10k or more are WOT :p) the connecting rod of the third cylinder broke and did a big mess.

Now we know the limitations of the stock connecting rods.
For a super safe setup, 21-22kgm(151-159 ft) is the top like knight sports rotrex setup.
Mine broke at ~ 26kgm(190 ft)

Last edited:
Noooooooooo! Now there is no hope for the rest of us! We have nought but to eak out a few extra hp with exhaust and intake.

WHOA! I'm so sorry to hear about your car. It has been really interesting to read your build and see how you problem-solved your turbo setup. It seems like you may have expected a little:). I think it's safe to say that your car is major inspiration for turbo-madness in the coming years for all of us fellow 2 owners. I hope you have it running again soon!

yes, i was expecting it.
the important think is to have information of many things that someone should know when he will turbocharged the 2. For now, we learned about the connecting rods, next station, gearbox :p

It will be up and running pretty soon :)

Last edited:
That sucks big time but now I know what to keep an eye out for next year when I begin my turbo build.

Today I dropped the engine and tear it apart.

The broken rod(last in the picture) is the 3rd cylinder and and the bended one(3rd in the picture) is from the 4th cylinder.

lzn6.jpg

I found many bits from the broken piston tou all the other cylinders.(in the picture I've cleaned them)
yjjr.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Konstaninos, sorry what happened to your engine
At the moment that your engine is in these conditions, I would like to ask a favor
to take different measures in order to investigate connectig rods and pistons which we can use
- Volume of combustion chamber CC
- Piston height, taking the measurement from the center of the piston pin to the top
- Head Gasket thickness
- Deck height, taking the measurement from the center of the crank to the top of the block

I would appreciate if you can get this information

Today I dropped the engine and tear it apart.

The broken rod(last in the picture) is the 3rd cylinder and and the bended one(3rd in the picture) is from the 4th cylinder.

lzn6.jpg

I found many bits from the broken piston tou all the other cylinders.(in the picture I've cleaned them)
yjjr.jpg
Damn man that is a shame . I am sure u are rebuilding i suggest u go forged pistons this time or just drop the m3 1.6 piston in. I am guessing here but u left the COmpression ratio the same as OEM with the blown engine ?

Yes, stock cr, but the pistons were fine. the broken connecting rod smashed the piston of the 3rd cylinder. The cr had nothing to do with the boom. :p

Yes, stock cr, but the pistons were fine. the broken connecting rod smashed the piston of the 3rd cylinder. The cr had nothing to do with the boom. :p

the rod broke due to the high pressure in the combustion chamber, tell me something did u notice any break in the head gasket some place between the cylinders ?

The rod broke due to the torgue. If there was a problem with the CR the first thing to have a problem should be the piston.

No, the gasket was fine.

Back