rear shocks gone again at 52k

You should work safe, never trust the jack alone, use jack stands always backup the jack before crawling under the car. If you do not have them it is a good time to buy them now. A set of rams are also very useful.

stand.gif

0090021450cc3443dbk9.jpg

CarRamps_7383.jpg

Exactly! I was looking for a video or something that talked about properly lifting a car , etc.

For Example:: Jacks are to be used to lift and lower the car only, and not to hold the car while you are working on it, that is the job of the jackstands!

If you go buy a floor jack, get the longest lever that you can. I don't mean the handle. I mean the simple machine (i.e., lever) that actually lifts the car. That way you can get your jacks under the car on a higher setting and have more room.

I paid like $100 at Carquest for, I think, a 2.5 ton. It is super heavy duty and doesn't move very easily while you're jacking the car. It moves when it needs to, but it doesn't flop around like a little jack does, which is safer. After you do it dozens of times you will see that giving it a little push on your last lift will let it position itself perfectly and safely. Then put your jacks in place and let it down. I usually let the jack down until it is resting firmly on the stands, and then give the handle just a little crank to take some of the force off of the stands. That way you have both devices sharing the load and some redundancy. You have to plan the placement of the devices though because two stands and a jack in the front cuts down on room unless you think it out first.

That's just my technique though. Just be safe man!

Last edited:
Yes - sounds very much like the symptoms of needing new shocks. I've been happy with the Sensa-Tracs - and they have a lifetime warranty, but the Koni's with heavy duty valving sounds like solid idea too.

Tomorrow I will be replacing my rear shocks and rear bar. If that goes well, I will also try to put poly bushings and synthetic grease on the front bar. If everything goes well, I will post pictures in the evening.

Update ==> The rear shocks and rear bar were put on by someone other than myself. No pictures since I can't take credit for what was done. :( The nuts and bolts were so @#$%^&* tight that I had to get help.

Last edited:
Back