rear shocks gone again at 52k

We need someone smarter than me to figure out if the shocks used on the Volvo V70 can be used on the 5. I think they use the same overall suspension, but I believe the 5 uses the shocks from the 3 which is much lighter. I'm wondering if the shocks from the V70, which weighs about the same as the 5, will simply bolt on. Whether they match the spring rate is a whole 'nother deal.

I got verification from my parts guy that the volvo S40 bilstein struts and rear shocks will fit the mazda 3, and so they will a mazda 5. Don't know about the V70.

But now i think that even getting the bilsteins may not fix the situation because the damping rate will be similar to OEM (Mazda3 that is). I don't know if it's a good idea getting ones that crossfit a mazda 3, because the rear OEM dampers on the 5 might be different from the 3. I just don't know.

I am planning on installing my SPC campber kit hoping to resolve this issue once and for all.

Just got back from a 1500+ mile road trip. Drove the whole way back with the right rear shock blown. Could definitely tell with the bounciness of it. Vehicle has only 20k, so will be contacting the dealer come Monday.

Thanks for the clarification klepto. I couldn't remember the correct model of Volvo that shared our suspension. Seems like it could be a promising lead.

The platform is shared with the 2004-present S40. The earlier S40 was Mitsubishi based. Bilsteins tend to have significantly more compression dampening as well as increased rebound dampening over a stock shock. Our 5 desperately needs something better than the 60K OEM shocks that are on it now.

Volvo Bilsteins are $698 and Mazda5 Konis are $658

How do people like the Konis?

So the struts & shocks can be interchanged between the S40 '04+ and the Mz5? Have you done this?
No offense, but I won't take the word of a parts guy.

So the struts & shocks can be interchanged between the S40 '04+ and the Mz5? Have you done this?
No offense, but I won't take the word of a parts guy.

I wouldn't take it as 100% truth but I think it is likely. The S40 and the C30 are built off the came global C1 platform. Same with the European Ford Focus. I can imagine the suspension hard points are the same for all models on that chassis and likely share general suspension components such as control arms, links, etc... Main differences being component lenght or bushing durometer.

I just checked the Monroe website. They list different part numbers for the S40 and the 5 for both front struts and rear shock. The rear shock for the 5 is a 5607. For the S40 is a 5617. They do not have dimensional data for the 5617 to compare but the picture looks the same. Part number for the front is similar also. They might have the same physical dimensions but with valving differences. I'm going to call Monroe and ask.

Monroe technical support advises that the mounting for both shocks are identical. However the lenght is slightly off. The compressed lenght for both shocks is nearly identical. The extended lenght for the shocks on the 5 is approximately 3/4" longer than the shocks on the S40. Looks like for stock or even slightly lowered apps, the S40 shocks are probably OK to use. Not sure about damping though. You'll just have to test that out yourself....

Last edited:
I just looked at the Bilstein fitment guide and they list the same part number for the HD and Sport line for the front struts on the S40 and the Mazda3/5 so they are directly interchangeable.

Most of the other vendors such as Monroe, KYB, etc.. show different model numbers for the front struts. Their product images show that they do indeeed look identical but the different numbers are likely due to the valving differences. Having driven an S40 on a few occasions as a rental the suspension does feel firmer than the 5.

I'm thinking if you can get an OEM strut/shock off an S40 for dirt cheap it might be worth a try. I woud probably just get a set of Bilstein Sports or Koni instead.

Regarding the rear it seems the only real difference is the extended lenght on the shock for the S40 is about 3/4" shorter. It is likely the S40 has a slightly shorter unloaded spring lenght so they reduced the extended shock lenght to keep the spring from unseating when fully unloaded. (like when the car is up in the air on a lift).

Looking at vehicle specs also the 5 only weighs 140lbs more than the S40. It also shows the 5 with a 57/43 front/rear weight distribution. I couldn't find anything on the S40 but the Volvo C30 (very similar, 150lbs lighter) has a weight distribution of 62/38 front/rear.

Basically the 5 is a little heavier with more weight on the rear. I doubt the OEM S40 rear shocks would help. However the Volvo appears to be a pig on the nose. Their stock front struts might be an improvement.

Just throwing this out there. No real evidence yet.

Subscribed: Just had the driver rear shock replaced under warranty on my 2009 Touring with 14,500 miles. I was blown with oil all over it. I had been noticing both a clunking noise and strange sideways bouncing behavior on that side for about 4000 miles but didn't confirm the issue until I switched my rims for winter. No impact or other accident that could have caused the failure. I hope this isn't going to plague the 5 as a design flaw :^(

Mazdas shocks are garbage, don't just look here at the 5, look at every other car they have and see how everybodies shocks are breaking.

Gmac

Add me to the list, 44k miles, passenger rear is now leaking. I will be putting in the Sensa-Tracs for this car, people on EdmundsTalk have reported good results. Mazda definitely should have enough data by now to realize this is a problem.

Last edited:
monroe sensa tracs are a popular replacement for the Ford Sport Trac SUT (G1 version anyway). I put those on my 02 Sport Trac and they handled well. The ST is a heavy mid sized truck, and it rode/handled well with the Sensa Tracs.

Yep - Just Replaced Two Blown Shocks at 57k Miles...

anyone else's 5 eating rear shocks? First set went at like 16k, or 26k, now the second set is blown at 52k.

of course the 100k bumper to bumper extended warranty I bought doesn't cover them.

I'm a little displeased.

...I've driven cars almost three times the distance on one pair of shocks. The guys at my garage asked it I had the car fully loaded and went over a pothole (the answer was no) - but both shocks were dripping big time when the put it up on the lift. Replaced them with Monroe Sensa-Tracs. Hope not to have to make a claim against the Lifetime Warranty they supposedly have.

I've had a set of KYB GR2s on my wifes 5 now for around 2 months. So far no problems, and we did take it on a 9 hour each way drive over thanksgiving to see my inlaws. It was actually pretty nice driving it thru the hills of WV. Thumbs up so far.

i am at 56K miles now and i have not had my shocks replaced. how do i know if they need to be replaced? my mechanic will just put in the stock ones when he decides that they need to go. i would rather install the ones that you guys are talking about.

Back