Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda3 Yellow Speed Coilovers!

2010 Mazda3 sport 5 door

Thumbs up Mazda3 Yellow Speed Coilovers!

I just received these today from the Guys over at Protege Garage. Yellow speed is a fairly unknown company but from what I've seen so far They make a top notch product. I'm very impressed with the quality!

Its seems to be a similar setup to BC's with the exception of the front spring perches have a torrington style bearing which allows the spring to rotate freely when you turn the wheel to eliminate the pop/clunk you usually get with coilovers. Another positive is the front lower brackets are machined from one piece of material in stead of having the end welded on (I don't remember which brand had that problem with the weld breaking at the knuckle?). Looks as though they have a good range of adjustment too!

I'll be installing this weekend so I'll update this with some more pics and maybe a few install notes.

CorkSport Power Series Exhaust // CorkSport SRI // 17x7.5 RPF1's // TWM Big TypeR Shift Knob // TWM Full Replacement Short Shifter // SRPracing pedals // Redline Goods Leather // Custom Made Stainless E-Brake Handle // TB Ground // Timing Advance // GT LED Tail Lights // Neffy Wrap Door Inserts // Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT // MS3 front brakes // MZ5 rear brakes // MSDS Header// DPtune ECU Flash // Coming soon... Cosworth MZ-1 Cams

P1kaChu Haz P4rts 4 yU0 Captain KRM P5's Avatar
    Donated: $15

2002 BJFW, 2007 BK3P, 1979 SA22C, 2005 BK3P

excellent photos sir. i've forwarded your email over to my suspension guru and we'll keep in touch about the best setup for your car. thanks for all the media on it!

wM61 The Infamous Torpedo 06zoomzoom's Avatar

Mazda 3 Hatch

Nice! Subbing for ride quality.

Sponsor: Street Unit Performance Inc.
    HKS/Racing Beat/Tein/DDM/Vibrant/OZ Racing/Mazdaspeed/Flex Innovations/PartsPlaza/SSG/Stoptech/Powerslot/Fluid Transfer Products, Inc.

spicy MSP

Congrats!!! Your going to love them.. I have nothing but great things to say about mine!!!

MAZDATEAM MEMBER= ZUKU26
    Clocked GT28RS, Split Second, YellowSpeed Coilovers, P.E.P 3" 304SS downpipe, Forge WGA, Perrin 3" catless exhaust w/ Corksport Polyurethane hangers, AWR MM, MAM Hard Pipes, SSQV, CXRacing FMIC, Corksport aluminum radiator, SPAL Slimline Fans, Magnum Cross drilled, Hawk HPS pads, Dunlop Direzza tires, ForceFeds Dual gauge Bezel and steering column pod, Dexter hood prop, Custom Vac Block

Quote Originally Posted by JDM Sam View Post
    I'm one of those people who see modding as a paint canvas not an investment. It's not a hobby, it's a way of life and passion.

Giant Penis Mobile

Are these not on the site?

spicy MSP

Contact Ken directly for them. He has been sending sets out to various people for fit and testing.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by zuku26 View Post
    Contact Ken directly for them. He has been sending sets out to various people for fit and testing.
    thats right. i've kept the product rollout very measured on these. really wanted to make sure they were superior to the BCs - and after putting them through the paces on several different cars, i feel they are.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

spicy MSP

I've never been in an MSP with the BC's or a car with coilovers for that matter. But I will say that I did do some research on the issues with the BCs and similar priced Coil overs for the MSP and all the negative things I read from other brands had been dealt with and corrected with the YellowSpeed. I can't tell you how happy I am with them. The wife even mentioned the stiffer ride. She didn't like it 100% but did say that the car felt more "crisp" while turning plus she is happy the clunk is gone. She is a non car person and has never driven my car. I havent taught her stick on purpose.

Mazda 3 Hatch

Ken, are these being tested on the 04-09 Mazda3's, sedan and hatch?

And the other question I have is, I know there is a problem that the BC Coilovers have with the front adjustable camber links. The hole where you adjust the front camber needs to be cut out to a bigger diameter to have complete access, is this also a problem with the Yellow Speed coilovers?

Giant Penis Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by 06zoomzoom View Post

And the other question I have is, I know there is a problem that the BC Coilovers have with the front adjustable camber links. The hole where you adjust the front camber needs to be cut out to a bigger diameter to have complete access, is this also a problem with the Yellow Speed coilovers?
    looking at the pics, you'll have to cut the hole for the camber adjustment on these too. I don't think you could have any sort of camber adjustment without cutting a hole on these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 06zoomzoom View Post

we haven't needed to cut a hole yet on any of the cars we have tested them on. the sets we offer do indeed fit your application and have been tested as such.

Mazda 3 Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Captain KRM P5 View Post
    we haven't needed to cut a hole yet on any of the cars we have tested them on. the sets we offer do indeed fit your application and have been tested as such.
    Oh ok awesome, good to hear! They look like a well built system. Not sure when I'll have the money for my own set of coilovers, but this set I am sure to keep in mind.

P.S. If someone that has these on a Mazda/Mazdaspeed 3, could you take a picture of the top strut tower, it would clear this up for the people that rather see and believe. haha

2010 Mazda3 sport 5 door

Should have them on this weekend if some one doesn't post a pic by then...

2010 Mazda3 sport 5 door

I installed them on Sunday. Everything went pretty smooth... took about 5hrs start to finish including messing with the height and test driving. Right now it is set as high as they can go and keep it a even drop. I'm going to let it settle for about a week or so before do some final height adjustments and get an alignment. Looks as though I will be able to drop it about another 1.5" to 1.75" if I wanted to... If not more!

The handling is amazing stays nice and level, well planted in the sharp turns and and steering seems to be more responsive. I have the dampening set at 14 clicks on the front and 10 clicks on the rear. Definitely stiffer than stock but not kidney bruising. Takes most bumps and dips well but watch out for the heaves an potholes they hit pretty hard now. I can soften the dampening up but I fear it will get too bouncy. I'll have to mess around with the setting and find the sweet spot.

Here is the pictures of the front and rear drop adjusted to the max height and after a few miles driving..... It was a bit chilly out and as you can tell it started raining I just wanted to get done and neglected to take install pics I'll take some proper pictures when I clean her up a bit and get some pics with the wheels off when I do the brakes this coming Saturday.

By the way the measurement from the center of the fender to the ground is set at 25.75" at all corners right now...

thanks for the write up and review sir

Quote Originally Posted by J'sMz3 View Post
    I installed them on Sunday. Everything went pretty smooth... took about 5hrs start to finish including messing with the height and test driving. Right now it is set as high as they can go and keet it even. I'm going to let it settle for about a week or so before do some final height adjustments and get an alignment. Looks as though I will be able to drop it about another 1.5" to 1.75" if I wanted to... If not more!

The handling is amazing stays nice and level, well planted in the sharp turns and and steering seems to be more responsive. I have the dampening set at 14 clicks on the front and 10 clicks on the rear. Definitely stiffer than stock but not kidney bruising. Takes most bumps and dips well but watch out for the heaves an potholes they hit pretty hard now. I can soften the dampening up but I fear it will get too bouncy. I'll have to mess around with the setting and find the sweet spot.

Here is the pictures of the front and rear drop adjusted to the max height and after a few miles driving..... It was a bit chilly out and as you can tell it started raining I just wanted to get done and neglected to take install pics I'll take some proper pictures when I clean her up a bit and get some pics with the wheels off when I do the brakes this coming Saturday.

By the way the measurement from the center of the fender to the ground is set at 25.75" at all corners right now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast