Factory remote start kit

Anyone know if the keyfob that comes with the factory remote start kit replaces the original or is it supplemental? The kit I put on the 2004 Mazda3 for my wife years back come with a completely new fob that replaced the original. Was hoping it is still that way as I don't want a second fob on my keyring.

Supplemental. They are a seperate fob - no key. This is the only reason I haven't done this. If there was a switchbade key with the remote start I'd be all over it. No way I'm carrying around 2 fobs for 1 vehicle. Might as well go aftermarket and just replace the keyless too. We are just back in the habit of starting the car a few minutes before we leave. It was soooo nice to have in the winter time though.

I wonder if one of the remote start fobs for the older 3 kit could be programmed to use on the 5 kit? Would just have a key and a fob like any normal car.

When I put the remote start kit on my wifes 2004 Mazda3 it came with a completely new fob. the new fob had the door lock/unlock, trunk and start buttons on it. It replaced the original. Of course it didn't have the flip key but I'd be okay with that. Just wondering if that fob can be programmed to use with the current system. The fob's are bulky. I'd rather just use a regular key and have a smaller fob that two huge remotes.....

Back