Shifting problems

Ducko

Hello,

My 5 speed Protege5 seems to be pretty rough when I shift gears. The clutch feels fine but when I shift gears it seems a little rough and unlubed (pause). It doesnt have that smooth gel like feel when you shift gears in most cars.

Anybody have any idea why this may be??

I never did. Do you think thats what it may be? How much does that cost? Can I do it myself?

the "TWM Performance" shifter bushings are about $30 and you can do it yourself in about 30 mins tops.

are you saying the movement of the shift lever is rough? or are you saying the transmission feels rough during shifts?

if it is the former try lubricating the ball joint and the plastic bushings at the base of the shifter. white lithium is good for this application.

if it is the latter you could try draining and refilling the manual transmission oil. there is no recommended interval for this service but a commonly accepted interval is around 30,000 miles. there is a how-to along with some synthetic recommendations on this forum.

if it is the latter you could try draining and refilling the manual transmission oil. there is no recommended interval for this service but a commonly accepted interval is around 30,000 miles. there is a how-to along with some synthetic recommendations on this forum.

There is a service interval for the manual transaxle fluid (page 8-7 of the owner's manual), it's every 48 months or 80000KM (48K miles).

i dont know if its different for canadian models, there is no recommended interval in my 2003 owner's manual. there is only a section on how to inspect and fill the ATF. in the service manual there is only the Grade and Viscosity recommendations.

My shifter was feeling like that for a long time, and recently I've had someone just clean the linkage and now my car shifts so nicely! It may only need a cleaning underneath.

My shifter was feeling like that for a long time, and recently I've had someone just clean the linkage and now my car shifts so nicely! It may only need a cleaning underneath.

Cleaning is often not enough, my bushings were deformed and hard as rocks when I took them out (probably because the shifter sits right above the exhaust pipe).

How do you acess the shifter linkage to clean/lube it? Is it easily visible from underneath the car?

Yes, just jack up one side of the car pretty high and you'll be able to access the bushings at both ends of the change control rod. The important bushings are the ones right under the shifter, the ones at the tranny don't seem to effect shifting too much. It's a tight workspace because there's a heat-shield and and exhaust pipe in the way but even with my fat hands I didn't really have any problems.

WOW thanks so much guys. I REALLY appreciate it. My tranny feels fine its the shifting that feels a little rough. I like shifting standard cars when its like butter lol. Hopefully if I look into what you guys recommended I can get that ; )

Back