Speaker Sizes F/R

Wamys

Anyone know the speaker sizes in a 2011 Mazda 2? I can't find it anywhere. Most speaker size databases don't have it listed yet.

Anyone? I might take off a door panel tonight and check. I have a feeling they're 5.25"

I havent taken off a door panel yet so I am not much help on this.

-Derrick

162 cm is really huge! that is like 5ft wide speakers! they should bump!

im guessing he meant 16.2 ~~ 5.25''

Hey guys, I just swapped out my fronts with JL audio coax units and my understanding is they're 6.5". HOWEVER because of the unique design Mazda used in these (tiny Neodymium magnets, interesting basket design) new drivers are NOT drop in replacements... My shop had to use a 1" spacer ring, AND fabricate a new flange for the ring to bolt to (Mazda used a 3 bolt pattern in the OEM speaker frames) The frame of the door can get in the way of the basket on a new driver. Be sure you use a good shop. I'm quite mechanically inclined and even I opted to pay them the $50 install fee ;-)

Any more infoz on the size or how to bust open the door panel? I'm thinking about replacing the stereo and speakers but haven't made any formal move to tear anything apart. I can handle the head unit install I think but I'm not sure about the doors if it's a lot of modding.

If I'm going to pay for door insall, I'll just let the shop do it all and save me the headache.

EDIT: I keep coming upon 6.5" (F&R) but requiring modification to the vehicle. =(

Last edited:
I am interested in any additional info as well.... The crutchfield sight recommended slim mount 6.5" speakers, but I am not really interested in fabricating mounts or spacers....

I got two pair Kenwood KFC-1662S speakers. They are 6.5 and fit without any trouble according to the shop I took them to; they didn't have to drill or saw is what the fella told me. I chickened out on putting in my head unit (Kenwood Excelon KDC-X695) using the Metra/Axxess kit and let them do it all. I needed a band aid until I buy a bigger system. That factory one was killing me.

I'll take pics if someone will tell me how to get the door panels off the front and back. I didn't see any obvious places to start pulling.

Bump. So people are fitting 6.5" with spacers for sure? I'm gonna pull the trigger on new speakers soon!

Changed the front ones & fitted the rears as the TS doesn't have them as standard... ford speaker adapters...

Photo skip link to changing them...

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j372/cosh68/Mazda%20Speakers/

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

Hope this helps.....

;-)

I put 6.5 jl audios front and rears... you may need an adapter depending on what setup u go with but 6.5 will fit for sure

Changed the front ones & fitted the rears as the TS doesn't have them as standard... ford speaker adapters...

How did you handle the wiring? From what I can tell, nobody makes speaker wiring harness adapters for our cars yet.

Soldered these.....

C110416-63.jpg

to the end of the wires with the plastic covers taken off, heat shrink afterwards.....

IMAG0222.jpg

then push fit into the mating connector from the old speaker...

IMAG0223.jpg

tried finding a molex style one to suit.....

Shaun.....

Ah, that's pretty slick then. If I can't get someone to sell me their factory speakers (so I can use them to make my own wiring harness adapters) then I might try your method.

Did you say that some of the Mazda2 models only have front speakers? If that's true is the wiring for the rear speakers still present even without the speakers, in the same way that all fog lights wiring is still present on models without fog lights?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

For the Canadian-spec cars, the base GX trim comes only with 2 front speakers. The GX + convenience package has 4 speakers, and the GS trim has 6 speakers.

Ok I wasn't sure which model the car was as I bought it used. It had alloy wheels so I thought it might be a mid range model. Do you know if the car has the wiring in the rear doors for the speakers? Also the 6 speaker version are the extra speakers tweeters?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Back