Hi! Brand new here, looking to replace my trusty '88 Toyota truck with a Mazda5

turtlegirl

:
2008 Mazda5 MT; 1988 Toyota 4x4 XCab SR5, 2007 Toyota Corolla S
Hey! We outgrew our almost-classic Toyota 4x4 ten years ago when we had our first of three kids. But, we bought it new off the lot, we honeymooned in it, we have a lot of history and fond memories with it, and it's a great truck. I just don't know how anyone can own (and thus maintain) a house and not have a pick-up. But, alas, it had a small accident recently, and it seemed like that was the nudge we needed to say good-bye to Spunky. We still have it, it still runs fine, but we're looking to replace it with something more practical.

Which leads me to the Mazda5. I had been looking at the 5 several years ago, but decided on a new 2007 Toyota Corolla instead. Hey, we're all about fitting lots of things into tiny spaces I guess. I can get five people and three car seats (one rear-facing, one forward facing, and one booster) into that little car. Now, I'm looking at the 5 again. Even though I *can* fit five people into our Corolla, the kids are getting bigger, and more testy with each other on long road trips. The first thing I liked about the 5 was that it can come with a manual transmission. Then, I found it has pretty good gas milage for a van. Then, six seats, hey, we could bring a friend along every once-in-awhile if we want to. I'd prefer a used Mazda5 to save some money, but maybe with the new 2011's coming out, I can get a good deal on a new 2010.

So, since the truck still runs, and the weather is getting cooler (the truck never had a/c, and I'm in the SW desert), I have some time to find the perfect used Mazda5. As much as the stick appealed to me, I've read a few things about the clutch wearing out quickly, and I'm positive the clutch isn't nearly as easy to replace in a front-wheel drive low-slung vehicle as it is with our 4x4. So, maybe I should go ahead with the automatic. Besides, autos are easier to find on the used market, and I have a better chance at getting a moonroof with one, too! Anyways, I have some questions for those who know, and feel like babbling:

What's the deal with the "manual mode automatic"? Is this like shifting a normal automatic from first to second to drive? What's the fun in that? hee hee. Does it provide the versatility and power I appreciate in a stick?

Does the stability control and Traction Control on the 2010 really make a lot of difference? Do you think it's worth it enough to only get a 2010 instead of an '09? We have essentially no snow or ice here, but I could find myself on snowy and/or icy roads on our road trips.

Has the problem with the rear tires wearing down really quickly (seems to be common in '06's from my research) been fixed? Do the newer models still have a lot of road noise?

Did they ever find out why the exhaust was catching on fire in earlier models, and has that been fixed (I know, sounds silly to have to ask, but hey, seems like a reasonable thing to be sure of, right?)?

How long does it take to fix the recall on the steering?

How much room is there in the back for groceries with all six seats up?

Gas mileage estimates - are you getting anything close to that?

Is it really as fun to drive as people say it is? My husband doesn't want "to drive a box." Some other people we know who at least are familiar with the vehicle assure him it's fun, but I still have to convince him, I think.

After-market DVD players - if I can't find one with one in it, and we decide it may be a good idea for those three-day trips we make often enough, do they work well for the
vehicle?

Mazda5's are not very common around here at all. Used ones are tough to find, and even new ones aren't that common. When do you think would be the best time to buy a new one, and/or is there a better place to find a used owner-sale Mazda5 than Craigslist? I'm willing to travel a few hours for the right deal.

And lastly, if you're looking for a slightly-dented, well-loved and cared for '88 Toyota SR5, drop me a line!

Lots of questions, pick and choose your favorites to answer!

Thanks!

Katherine

Hey! We outgrew our almost-classic Toyota 4x4 ten years ago when we had our first of three kids. But, we bought it new off the lot, we honeymooned in it, we have a lot of history and fond memories with it, and it's a great truck. I just don't know how anyone can own (and thus maintain) a house and not have a pick-up. But, alas, it had a small accident recently, and it seemed like that was the nudge we needed to say good-bye to Spunky. We still have it, it still runs fine, but we're looking to replace it with something more practical.

Did you accidentally add a T in front of rusty? lol. Why not keep it for 1. Sentimental value, that car is basically your family now, 2. You're going to sell your family for a couple grand at the most? 3. 3% of the time you'll wish you had your truck. A little bump on a pickup shouldn't cause you to get rid of it.

Which leads me to the Mazda5. I had been looking at the 5 several years ago, but decided on a new 2007 Toyota Corolla instead.

Unfortunately I decided on a Corolla instead of a 5 back in 2008 myself. :( But it got killer fuel economy.

So, since the truck still runs, and the weather is getting cooler (the truck never had a/c, and I'm in the SW desert), I have some time to find the perfect used Mazda5. As much as the stick appealed to me, I've read a few things about the clutch wearing out quickly, and I'm positive the clutch isn't nearly as easy to replace in a front-wheel drive low-slung vehicle as it is with our 4x4. So, maybe I should go ahead with the automatic. Besides, autos are easier to find on the used market, and I have a better chance at getting a moonroof with one, too! Anyways, I have some questions for those who know, and feel like babbling:

A clutch can last for a few hundred thousand kms with a good driver and can easily outlast any automatic transmission, I don't know anyone here who's had a burned out clutch yet. Don't let that disuade you, the manual transmission in the Mazda 5 is top notch and once you drive it you'll be won over.

What's the deal with the "manual mode automatic"? Is this like shifting a normal automatic from first to second to drive? What's the fun in that? hee hee. Does it provide the versatility and power I appreciate in a stick?

It's ok, it takes awhile to get used to but basically it's a clutchless manual mode that lets you select the gears. You simply move the gear selector from D to the area where you can push one way to go up a gear and the other way to go down a gear. If you don't feel like manually switching gears anymore, just go back to D to let the car do it for you. It's not a bad system although you'll probably miss having a clutch and it is a bit cumbersome to use vs. a real H pattern stick shift so 80% of the time you'll probably leave it in D and just shift it yourself on the wide open roads or when you need to get the most acceleration.

Does the stability control and Traction Control on the 2010 really make a lot of difference? Do you think it's worth it enough to only get a 2010 instead of an '09? We have essentially no snow or ice here, but I could find myself on snowy and/or icy roads on our road trips.

I don't like these technologies, it's a poor alternative to driving with real winter tires and it will actually be a detriment if you're stuck in a slippery situation without proper tires. I would just avoid travelling into snowy areas if you're not properly equipped.

Has the problem with the rear tires wearing down really quickly (seems to be common in '06's from my research) been fixed? Do the newer models still have a lot of road noise?

Did they ever find out why the exhaust was catching on fire in earlier models, and has that been fixed (I know, sounds silly to have to ask, but hey, seems like a reasonable thing to be sure of, right?)?

My 07 has none of these problems. A lot of these problems have been fixed.

One day but they only affect certain 07 to 08s I believe?

How much room is there in the back for groceries with all six seats up?

Six to seven reusable grocery bags worth, plus there is space between the two second row seats to put even more groceries in if needed.

Gas mileage estimates - are you getting anything close to that?

Check my estimates. :) The 08+ are more fuel effiicient.

Is it really as fun to drive as people say it is? My husband doesn't want "to drive a box." Some other people we know who at least are familiar with the vehicle assure him it's fun, but I still have to convince him, I think.

Only a test drive will say but I will say one thing.... the Mazda 5 stock is HEAPS more fun to drive than my 2008 Corolla which I modded.

After-market DVD players - if I can't find one with one in it, and we decide it may be a good idea for those three-day trips we make often enough, do they work well for the
vehicle?

You can mount any behind the headrest or headliner mounted DVD player really. How fancy you want to go is up to you.

Mazda5's are not very common around here at all. Used ones are tough to find, and even new ones aren't that common. When do you think would be the best time to buy a new one, and/or is there a better place to find a used owner-sale Mazda5 than Craigslist? I'm willing to travel a few hours for the right deal.

Check your local dealers for new or used models, but you can get a Mazda 5 Sport for as little as $18k OTD.

And lastly, if you're looking for a slightly-dented, well-loved and cared for '88 Toyota SR5, drop me a line!

Where are you located? How much are you asking? lol.

Oh, and welcome!

Last edited:
The 2010s should be well sorted out. The '06s - and we have one - seem to have a lot of first-year issues, but they were pretty much well worked out by the '08s. The exhaust fire was only found in early '06 models. It was caused by sustained running of the vehicle in second gear while in manual mode. Transmission calibration and heat shield fixed the issue. The tire wear issue seems to have been addressed with the '08s. Having said that, even with the '06-'07 models, if you keep your tires properly inflated and your wheels aligned and rotated regularly, you'll get more mileage out of the tires, particularly if you get a good set of aftermarkets. We replaced our original Toyos at 28K, by which time they were noisy and hydroplaning. The Michelin Pilot Exaltos on our 5 have the same mileage, are evenly worn, have some tread left, and are still fairly quiet.

We had to replace the clutch master cylinder under warranty, but otherwise the clutch works fine with 56K miles. I'm not aware of premature clutch wear issues. I've never had a car with stability or traction control (and I lived in snow country for years), so can't comment there. Most people here seem to get the EPA estimates or better. We beat the estimates routinely. We did a 3500 mile round trip this summer, most of it with the A/C on and at 70-75 mpg, and averaged 28-29 mpg.

Concur with DKaz about the grocery bags. Actually, we once picked up my in-laws with all the seats up, and they had luggage with them. We still fit.

My wife didn't care for driving, period, before we bought our 5. She still brags about it all the time to all our friends. I still think it's far cooler than any other family vehicle on the road.

As much as the stick appealed to me, I've read a few things about the clutch wearing out quickly, and I'm positive the clutch isn't nearly as easy to replace in a front-wheel drive low-slung vehicle as it is with our 4x4. So, maybe I should go ahead with the automatic. Besides, autos are easier to find on the used market, and I have a better chance at getting a moonroof with one, too!
As said above, a preemie clutch repl. is news to me too. Manuals DO outlast autos in most scenarios, but regular trans fluid changes should get you past 200K mi w/o any issues nowadays. Touring models come with the moonroof, fog lights, body panels below the doors and little spoiler over the back window, but only the '06-'07 Tourings can be optioned w/the manual, unless you are in Canada.
One thing to consider is the ease of finding and then if necc, reselling the auto vs. the 5MT. Also the 5MT is geared FANTASTICALLY below 55 mph, but the taller final drive ratio means greater fuel consumption at AZ interstate speed limits.

Does the stability control and Traction Control on the 2010 really make a lot of difference? Do you think it's worth it enough to only get a 2010 instead of an '09?
I finally got TC in my Volvo. It hampers the fun sometimes, and I have never needed it for safety. The 5 handles so well, I don't see a need for it, even if the Fed says its becoming mandatory.
Road noise is due to the crappy Toyo tires. Also don't get the cheapo Falken directionals either. I have a new style BFG on mine, and they are no louder other cars I've owned. Avoid buying asymmetrical tires, since the wear from the performance camber settings will wear only the inside, and with std tires or directionals, you can flip the tires on the wheel to have the worn parts on the outside. I also recommend 3000 mi rotations for FWD vehicles.

My PS unit was replaced under warranty, but not part of the recall. I think the elec unit is a bit weaker than other hydrolic units, so try to minimize turning the wheel while stationary, as this puts the most stress on the PS pump. It was a same-day replacement, but I had to make an initial visit and come back when the pump arrived.

How much room is there in the back for groceries with all six seats up?You're NOT going to Costco! For trips, we got creative with storage, and for grocery trips, I go alone late at night now, so I can move things around as necc.

Gas mileage estimates - are you getting anything close to that?Imagine driving across town in Vegas w/o getting on the freeway or on the Strip: imagine getting 24 mpg in the winter (no A/C) and 20 in summer w/max A/C all the time. We only get 21 mpg @80-85 mph on I-8 tho.

Is it really as fun to drive as people say it is? My husband doesn't want "to drive a box." Some other people we know who at least are familiar with the vehicle assure him it's fun, but I still have to convince him, I think. Good thing is: its not a box. Its a Mazda3 with more headroom, more wheelbase, sliding backseats and a 3rd row. Persoanlly, I think its a pretty sexy-looking people mover, and I love looking at mine in the driveway and across the parking lot.

In Tucson, they are fairly common. Not Corolla common, of course, but more common than the current generation Dodge Durango and Nitros combined. More common than the Huyndai Veracruz, the Subaru Tribeca, and a mess of other less-common everyday-brand cars. About as common as the Chevy Equinox around here.

Thanks!

Katherine

Good luck with your search, and if Hubby hasn't driven one, get him behind the wheel somewhere curvy.

Back