Anybody done track days in an auto with manual shift mode?

:
2002 P5
After making the mistake of trading my last P5 for an 02 SI, I went to look for another. About that time I shattered two bones in my leg in a motocross accident. So, I got an auto just to get back to driving faster. Anyway, it has grown on me. I am liking not having to hold the clutch in while sitting in traffic. I guess I'm getting old. Back to the topic, I was wondering if anybody has done a track day in an auto. I know it doesn't shift fast like a dual clutch system, but it seems like you could just plan a second ahead and it would be alright. Another worry is how well the auto will hold up. No need to rag me for trading. I already know.

There are upgrades available for the P5 automatic transmission. Check out:

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/4f27ehome.html
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123666039-How-to-Change-your-Valve-Body
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123734179-Automatic-transmission-rebuild-info.

I would say the main thing to worry about would be heat. You would probably want to upgrade the transmission cooler first and switch to a high quality synthetic transmission fluid like Royal Purple.

Hayden/AMSOIL/Lentech............transmission one thing but I'd be more concerned about dryholin the mains when you have the engine oil all up against one side of the pan or another in turns. IMO, it would be just as easy to blow the engine as it would to blow up the tranny. If I was doin track stuff there'd be oiling system upgrades, tranny upgrades, engine upgrades, seat belt upgrades, suspension upgrades etc etc etc

Hayden/AMSOIL/Lentech............transmission one thing but I'd be more concerned about dryholin the mains when you have the engine oil all up against one side of the pan or another in turns. IMO, it would be just as easy to blow the engine as it would to blow up the tranny. If I was doin track stuff there'd be oiling system upgrades, tranny upgrades, engine upgrades, seat belt upgrades, suspension upgrades etc etc etc

Upgrade your engine because the oil is all up against one side of the pan? That's pretty goofy. That's what people say about doing wheelies on bikes. My last bike had 100k with plenty of wheelies. My last P5 had 180k and it had a lot of trips around the airport and Deal's Gap. I think the engine can handle a few track days.

With long high G right handed turns you WILL get oil starvation, especially if you are in the higher RPM's. Its a serious weak point in this motor among other things.

Upgrade your engine because the oil is all up against one side of the pan? That's pretty goofy. That's what people say about doing wheelies on bikes. My last bike had 100k with plenty of wheelies. My last P5 had 180k and it had a lot of trips around the airport and Deal's Gap. I think the engine can handle a few track days.
Yeah, it's goofy all right & that's puttin it politely...I'd say more like stupid ******* limp bulls***. Look around on here, not an isolated occurrence and not even track only thing either. Nothin to freak out over for most street action but definitely something I wouldn't ignore if it was gonna give it any track time.

Shoot a PM to Dave B, he has done a number of track days in his P5 and it is a ATX w/ Manual mode. He has had no issues with his car at all.

Yeah, it's goofy all right & that's puttin it politely...I'd say more like stupid ******* limp bulls***. Look around on here, not an isolated occurrence and not even track only thing either. Nothin to freak out over for most street action but definitely something I wouldn't ignore if it was gonna give it any track time.

Pleasant language. How old are you, 12? The other forums I go to don't talk to each other like that. Maybe I'll stick with the mature crowd.

Pleasant language. How old are you, 12? The other forums I go to don't talk to each other like that. Maybe I'll stick with the mature crowd.
Old enough that my skin is thick enough not to worry about anyone's opinions, language use, have a sense of humor, not police misssssspellingz or butchered grammar. Or how about 49, old enough to say what I feel and not give a crap who likes it or not. IMO, the underwhelming engineering on certain aspects of this engine is just as I stated. Guess I'm not "mature" enough to accept this kind of lame stuff as standard operating procedure for the money being spent on things nowadays. Sorry you took offense. I didn't take offense to your comment that my statement was "goofy", I assumed you meant the concept of that being able to happen. BTW, it's just as possible to be offensive, immature and vulgar without any use of profanity. Hoping it left no permanent scars. Whatever forums you frequent are your own concern, enjoy.

I've autox'd twice with mine.

Another issue to be aware of is if you don't have ABS you can run the risk of overspeeding your engine/transmission. As you know, when in manual mode, the transmission will automatically downshift for you as you come to a stop. Nice feature since the brakes are far more capable of slowing a car than the engine/transmission. Now imagine your on track coming into a braking zone a little too hot and lock up the wheels a little (I use to have a Saturn S-series that I tracked (laugh all you want....) so I know it can happen). The computer thinks the car is stopped and downshifts to 1st. Unless you ride that skid all the way to a stop, when you roll out of the brakes you'll most likely be at a speed faster than 1st is capable of. Does it snow or ice in Nashville? If so, try it out next time the roads are frozen- it's how I learned about this flaw.

When I autox'd, I did run it in the manual mode, but I knew of this potential issue and had my hand ready to slap it over into drive if the need should arise.

As far as upgrades to have a more track capable transmission, I'd definitely get an aux cooler and bypass the factory cooler in the lower radiator. I have mine bypassed and run it that way year round and I live in Colorado. Another good one is to get the Lentech Street Terminator Valvebody. I use to have it (probably still in my sig). It quickens the shifts (which also reduces heat). Solid upgrade. I liked it a lot.

As others have mentioned, oil starvation is a real issue on these motors. I'd probably run at least a 1/2 qt more of oil to help. If you stick to slippery street tires, you will be better off too since your corner speeds will be lower.

I do have ABS. You would think all the ones with manual shift mode would. Also, I put a transmission cooler on almost everything I own since I pull trailers a lot. I guess I'm going to try a track day. I've never been to the track in a car (except a parking lot course). If it's half as fun as a bike, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Back