Strange "swooshing" sound coming from the front drivers side?

:
2008 TR Mazdaspeed 3
Hey guys, was hoping one of you could pinpoint an issues I've been having with my 08 MS3. There is an odd swooshing type of sound coming from the front left side of the car. The sound is almost like a whole bunch of marbles rolling around in a cloth bag. It comes almost from underneath the car and sounds like it's coming out of the front left side. This happens when the car is first started (gives a brief sound when revving down from high idle), when taking off from a stop (especially when still feathering the clutch), and only really seems to happen then. I can rev the car to 1,500 rpms to replicate the noise. But the odd thing is, it happens when the car is sitting still (start up, free revving) and also when in motion (slow take off). I can also hear the noise when the car is revved up high (4.5k+). I only know this because when I took my exhaust video you can hear the noise when the car is revved up hard. This leads me to believe it's just a pesky heat shield or something of the like... I'll link my exhaust vid when I'm not posting from my phone so you get an idea of the sound. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance,
Tyler.

EDIT:
Here's the vid so you can get an idea for the sound (almost sounds like an exhaust leak here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqQBZALzMsA

Last edited:
I didn't hear anything out of the norm...theres to much wind noise in the video!

sounds like a loose baffle inside the exhaust, but that's just a guess. Doesn't sound like a shield cuz it doesn't ting.

I also have a strang sound coming from my front left. I wouldn't describe it as swooshing. More like a gargling wobbly clunky sound, lol. But it happens during take offs, going over bumps, especially at low speeds. It basically makes my car sound like a POS but it doesn't seem like it's affecting the cars performance. Interested what other people have to say cause it might help me out as well.

to me it sounds like an exhaust leak...comming from the back... not up front or... it could be that the springs that hold onto the mid pipe are loose and causing some flex , i do hear that sound though...

I like the mid pipe bolts idea... I'll have to look into that. The bolts going to the cbe are normal bolts because that is a flat flange... but the spring bolts on the DP are still there. Maybe it's just not making a great seal and the shaking from take off sort of rattles it loose.

Back