CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about antenna replacement options...

back in the P5!

'02.5 MP5, 5MT, SSM

Let's talk about antenna replacement options...

OK, some of you have upgraded to the CX-7 antenna or maybe the MZ3 antenna and I know some of you have even upgraded to the Acura RDX antenna. I'm considering replacing my stock antenna w/something shorter and more modern looking and would like to see your pics. I'd really like one of those ultra-modern aerodynamic looking, painted to match, 'nub' antennas, as seen on some of the nicer cars, ala Audi Avants, Beamers, etc.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Jeff

Donated: $10

2008 MX5 SE 33Y/2016.5 CX-5 GT 42M/2010 3i T 38L/2008 3s GT 34N

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showp...ostcount=10484

The other antenna you speak of is referred to as a shark-fin. I know a few GB's have been done on here for them but I think you can pick them up online....

Registered Member pasadena_commut's Avatar

Protege5 2003

Quote Originally Posted by JTF View Post
    I'd really like one of those ultra-modern aerodynamic looking, painted to match, 'nub' antennas, as seen on some of the nicer cars, ala Audi Avants, Beamers, etc.
    Those are for satellite radios, which use a shorter wavelength than AM/FM, so they can be smaller. Perhaps some of those have an AM/FM antenna of some type built into the fin as well, but I wouldn't expect the signal strength to be great. Of course, if you don't care about actually using the radio, you can remove the stock antenna and base from the roof.

Donated: $8.08

GT3076R Pro5

With the sharkfin antenna I lost about 25-50% reception when not in town

back in the P5!

'02.5 MP5, 5MT, SSM

Hmm...good point. Yeah, I'm not looking to lose any AM/FM radio reception.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 Mazda Protege5

Just go with a CX-7 one. I didn't really lose any reception when I installed mine. Plus they are cheap.
    2011 Mustang GT/California Special

back in the P5!

'02.5 MP5, 5MT, SSM

That's probably what I'll do. How much shorter is it than the stock one - just a couple of inches or more?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Marketplace & Spam Removal Moderator

2003 Protege5 | Black>Yellow

RDX antenna... lost no reception, from what I can tell. Around $15. Perfect fit.

2002 Mazda Protege 5

how hard is it to install a new antenna?
    234,XXX miles and counting

..-Performance: FULL Mazda 6 brake swap, Eibach Pro-Kit, Tokico Blues, MSP Racing Beat rear sway bar, Ford Escape front endlinks, 1.8 coil swap, Amsoil 0W-30, 626 oil filter, K&N air filter
    ..-Appearance: DaveB gauge rings, Black Bezel Headlights, red brake calipers, black rear valence, black 626 valve cover, black Altezza tail lights, Roof Rack delete, flush door locks, fog light delete, side molding delete, heat shield delete, Shorty Antenna, Mazdaspeed oil cap, Mazdaspeed door sills, blacked out interior pieces
    ..-Functional: Tribute nozzles, 6K 35W HIDs (..nuts), scangauge, 205/45/16 tires

Marketplace & Spam Removal Moderator

2003 Protege5 | Black>Yellow

Takes about 10 seconds to simply unscrew the old mast and put the new one on.

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by JTF View Post
    That's probably what I'll do. How much shorter is it than the stock one - just a couple of inches or more?
    It is quite a bit shorter, about the same length of the RDX antenna shown in pictures above. It is maybe 6 to 8 inches long, so compare that to your current one.

2002 Mazda Protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by azuelke View Post
    Takes about 10 seconds to simply unscrew the old mast and put the new one on.
    oh sweet! i was thinking i'd have uninstall and reinstall a bunch of crap. i didnt know it just unscrewed

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

323F

I got one of the shorty nub lookin ones off ebay. Reception still good and it's short enough not to hit the bottom of the surfboard whenever I roll to the beach with it on the factory racks. Lemme see if I have a pic..........

Here ya go.....(and yes, the wing has been removed, lol)

Contributor

2010 Mazda5 GT | 2014 Kia Soul !

I didn't have as much success with the CX-7 antenna so I sold mine and went back to stock. Reception loss was noticeable for a few stations in town, but this is obviously a YMMV situation. I wish I could've kept it since it does look better.

back in the P5!

'02.5 MP5, 5MT, SSM

I just measured my stock one and it's 20.25" long, from base! Definitely looking forward to installing an updated, shorter one. What's the price difference between the CX-7 & RDX and where would I buy the RDX, any old Acura dealership or elsewhere online?

Thanks,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast