How to install seat covers on a P5

:
Mazda 3 Skyactiv Hatchback
I've had a few people ask me about my new seat covers and if I installed them myself. Why, YES I did :D

Here's how:

Remove the head rests. Pull the head rest posts out. You should be able to do this with your hands, but may need to pry them up with a screwdriver. I was able to pull all of mine except one with my hands... and I'm a girl :p
Remove the seat knobs on the bottom. One of my just pulled off, the other had a small metal clip that I had to remove first.

dsc02683.jpg

Fold the front seat forward and release the interlocking plastic clip. You can see one side of it in this pic. It runs along the bottom of the seat back. Use a pic tool or screwdriver to pry it apart at one end and the rest of it should separate easily.

Then peal the cover off by turning it inside out. Hold the foam cushion down as you pull the velcro off.

dsc02684g.jpg

The seat bottoms are held on by the same plastic clips on the front, sides and back. Reach under the seat and remove them all. The hardest ones to reach are the ones near the seatbelt. Those are also the hardest to get on when you are installing your new covers, so start there. Velcro is holding the center part down here as well. Remove the covers the same way, by turning them inside out.

dsc02685x.jpg

Here is what your seats will look like with the covers off

dsc02686.jpg

dsc02687b.jpg

Now that your factory covers are off, you can start installing your new ones.
Basically, just do the removal process in reverse. Start by turning your new covers inside out. Line them up over the head rest holes.

dsc02694r.jpg

Then work your way down.

dsc02695m.jpg

dsc02696dc.jpg

My new ones had a zipper at the bottom instead of the long clip.

I didn't get a photo of the seat bottom process, but start with the clip near the seatbelt. It's the toughest to get to and you'll need the slack. Then work your way around the seat.

dsc02689pu.jpg

Put the headrest posts back in and put the head rest back on. Fronts finished.

dsc02690lp.jpg

dsc02691m.jpg

dsc02692k.jpg

dsc02697.jpg

Rear:
Remove the seat bottoms. The covers are just held on by several plastic clips. Use a pick tool or screwdriver to remove them.

dsc02699k.jpg

dsc02700u.jpg

I didn't get any photos of the rear seat backs, but you have to remove the two bolts that hold the seat backs to the floor of the car. this will allow you to pull the outside end out enough to remove the hexhead bolt in the bottom outside end. The seat covers goes under it. My covers just had zippers that I had to unzip. The pull knob that allows you to release the seat and fold it forward comes off when you unscrew it. Remove the head rests the same way. The foam on the rear seatbacks really wants to come off of the frame, so be careful when you're pulling the velcro off.

dsc02703vs.jpg

Finished product :D

dsc02704o.jpg

I'll get pics of the bolts that you need to remove later.

Hope this helps anyone looking to save a few bucks by doing this install yourself.

Such an awesume and useful write-up! I have new bottoms for my seats because the moron that owned the car before me burned holes in them. I had been putting this job off because I didn't want to screw it up...your how-to will be very helpful!

Those look really nice!
I didn't know the protege's had their own custom seat covers like that.
when i read your thread title i thought you meant those universal wal mart ones :laugh:

Those look really nice!
I didn't know the protege's had their own custom seat covers like that.
when i read your thread title i thought you meant those universal wal mart ones :laugh:

+1. Where'd you buy those, and how much did they cost?

I've got an idea for this.
I read a how to on making your own personal shift boot where all you do is take the original one off and pretty much trace out a new one on whatever fabric you want.
so, why not do it on these seats?
I wouldn't mind making some personalized DC shoe's covers.
However.. im no expert what so ever on sewing.. haha...
might have to track down one of my female friends for this project...haha

I bought my covers off of another forum member and got an awesome deal. They are Katzkin. I think you can find them on eBay, but are $400-800 depending on fabric. I installed a set that I custom designed on my blazer from leatherseats.com. I talked them into partially sponsoring me and paid half price ($400). Not cheap... But they are worth it!

Yes, it is pricy. It was an upgrade that I was going to make much later, but when I saw them for sale on here, I just couldn't resist :D

They are worth the money... Even at the higher price.

as stated before, crazy how you did yours without removing the seats. i found it a pain so i just yanked mine out and did it. saved my back for sure! thanks again!

Back