Crankshaft pulley holding tool

wanna3

:
2006 Mazda3i
As the title says i need the tool so i can take the old one off and put the sr motorsports one on, ive look everywhere and the only two places i found it is from rotundra and its too expensive, if anyone knows where i can get it cheaper or how i can SAFELY rig something up to prevent the pulley from moving or even refer to me members who have done this, thanks for the help.

If you have access to an impact wrench, it should remove the bolt without holding the pulley. Some electric impacts will work.

Another method that has been used on some cars is to use a socket and breaker bar, rest the bar on a solid part of the cross member, place a pad under the bar and be sure it will loosen the bolt. Disable the ignition so the engine will not start. Use a remote start switch ($5-$10 at most discount auto parts stores) to bump the starter. Starter motor loosens the bolt.

Clifton

Last edited:
no way im trying the second part, i may be able to get away the impact assuming the bolt isnt frozen against the pulley, but still the problem is when i get to put the pulley back on, using an impact wrench is not an option, and its highly advised not to use the cam alignment tool or the smaller bolt to hold the pulley while tqing it

Removing the bolt with an impact is no problem. You might try a strap wrench (not the chain type). OTC 7206 is a decent one. This should allow you to hold the pulley without damaging it. When I installed the SR Motorsorts pulley on my 3 I had the engine out which made it easier. I used a universal adjustable pulley holder (KD 41530). It worked ok but is difficult to keep it from slipping out of the holes on the pulley. I carefully kept the 6mm bolt in place to help with pulley alignment while reinstalling it but also had the flexplate on the other end of the shaft secured. Be sure to keep your cams and crank aligned while doing this procedure. There is no alignment key for the timing chain crank pulley so rotation of the crank may be possible so the special tool that screws into the back of the block to align the crank may be needed. The Ford/Mazda cam alignment tool is useful too.
Good luck!

yea that last person i talked to about it also had his motor out when he installed the pulley, iono, im having other issues with my ride, i might just sell the pulley along with the tools, 300 for everything sound good

Back