Timing Belt and Water Pump: Labor?

Sven

Hello,

I have a 1997 Mazda Protege DX 1.5L 5-speed manual with a hefty 222,000 miles on her; runs beautifully with the recent replacement of an O2 sensor.

I really want to keep it--especially since it's running well--but I know it's due for replacement of the timing belt/drive belts. I should also probably get the water pump done at the same time.

Can anyone give me a decent ballpark estimate on what this should cost (esp. labor)?

Thanks very much.

--Sven

Hello,

I have a 1997 Mazda Protege DX 1.5L 5-speed manual with a hefty 222,000 miles on her; runs beautifully with the recent replacement of an O2 sensor.

I really want to keep it--especially since it's running well--but I know it's due for replacement of the timing belt/drive belts. I should also probably get the water pump done at the same time.

Can anyone give me a decent ballpark estimate on what this should cost (esp. labor)?

Thanks very much.

--Sven

I don't know how similar your engine is to the 3rd gen protege, but I was quoted $600-700 from multiple dealers and independent mechanics to replace the timing belt and water pump.

Thanks for the responses--I'll use this as an approximate range....

I was also told that it could use a new valve cover gasket set. I assume this should be done at the same time as the timing belt/water pump replacement.

Thanks again!

--S

I guess with a car this old, the problem is never as simple as it seems....

Anyway, I was getting ready to have the timing belt done (see above) when I got a CEL this weekend on a road-trip.

I ran the OBD2 scanner and it said "P0505: Idle Control System Malfunction."

Is it possible that the installation of the O2 sensor could have caused this (delayed) CEL?

If not, then I guess I had better take this into account when I decide whether to do the belt. Any ideas about what this could be would help me out a great deal. I cleared the code and will be taking it on another road trip this week to see if it lights up again.

Any help is very much appreciated (and sorry that I can't return the favor...).

--Sven

I guess with a car this old, the problem is never as simple as it seems....

Anyway, I was getting ready to have the timing belt done (see above) when I got a CEL this weekend on a road-trip.

I ran the OBD2 scanner and it said "P0505: Idle Control System Malfunction."

Is it possible that the installation of the O2 sensor could have caused this (delayed) CEL?

If not, then I guess I had better take this into account when I decide whether to do the belt. Any ideas about what this could be would help me out a great deal. I cleared the code and will be taking it on another road trip this week to see if it lights up again.

Any help is very much appreciated (and sorry that I can't return the favor...).

--Sven

Again, speaking only from the experience of a 3rd Gen Protege, this sounds like either your IAC valve is shot, or else the wiring between it and your ECU is damaged. I doubt it's related to your O2 sensor.

As for the valve cover gasket, you probably have to remove the valve cover to replace the belt, and after a lot of miles, the gasket gets hard and needs to be replaced. Pretty standard procedure on a timing belt job...

You're not still on the original belt, are you? :)

You're not still on the original belt, are you? :)

No, but the question caused me to dig through records to confirm it. Looks like the belt was changed at 125,000, so a little less than 100,000 miles ago.

As a footnote, the MIL went out this morning (it was a P0505 code as you may recall) without me clearing it...? Weird.

Thanks again for the help--she goes into surgery tomorrow so I'll be sure to let you know the outcome.

--S

Back