Alamo1's P5-T Build

I just wish that onlinemazdaparts would have gotten my order going sooner. Now ill have to pay duty on the whole thing instead of picking it up at the border on the way back from a weekend in great falls.

I just wish that onlinemazdaparts would have gotten my order going sooner. Now ill have to pay duty on the whole thing instead of picking it up at the border on the way back from a weekend in great falls.

Yeah Onlinemazdaparts is going through an ownership change right now so all orders were delayed. It took almost 12 days for mine to even process. Just the roof rack delete moldings. Btw sick build!

Geez it's been a while. Well, it's time for some more updates. Engine came out over the past month or so. Block, head, crank, cams and used Pauter rods are in at Precise Engine Rebuilders for cleaning and quote.

Today I found this while I was scrubbing my stock Pistons I found this.

16570675814_8b3b96f2fd_c.jpg
17167179096_67d0480298_c.jpg

On the compression test the two cylinders that were down about 20 psi both have broken pistons. Go figure. If anyone has any suggestions as to why this would happen let me know.

Last edited:
Geez it's been a while. Well, it's time for some more updates. Engine came out over the past month or so. Block, head, crank, cams and used Pauter rods are in at Precise Engine Rebuilders for cleaning and quote.

Today I found this while I was scrubbing my stock Pistons I found this.

17167179096_67d0480298_s.jpg

On the compression test the two cylinders that were down about 20 psi both have broken pistons. Go figure. If anyone has any suggestions as to why this would happen let me know.
Yep stock pistons that's why. You are lucky sir.

Yep stock pistons that's why. You are lucky sir.
These are in #2 & 4 holes. Shouldn't they all be like this? I know cast pistons are not that strong but from a diagnosis standpoint, I'm none the wiser. I'd really like to figure out why they didn't all do this. From the looks of it, they'd been running like this a while because of the build up between the broken section and the piston proper...

These are in #2 & 4 holes. Shouldn't they all be like this? I know cast pistons are not that strong but from a diagnosis standpoint, I'm none the wiser. I'd really like to figure out why they didn't all do this. From the looks of it, they'd been running like this a while because of the build up between the broken section and the piston proper...
I have not read your entire build thread but didn't you say you had a unmatched set of pistions? Also were all the oil squirters in the block still?

The pitting above the ring land is from detonation. I posted years ago where I had 3 sets of Arias pistons break on me, maybe you can dig up the thread for more info, but that's exactly what they looked like.

The pitting above the ring land is from detonation. I posted years ago where I had 3 sets of Arias pistons break on me, maybe you can dig up the thread for more info, but that's exactly what they looked like.

^^ word for word ^^

I have not read your entire build thread but didn't you say you had a unmatched set of pistions? Also were all the oil squirters in the block still?

I decided not to use the used Pistons I bought. These were the stockers. Oil squirters were in it. Stock engine had 280k kms and was turboed for about 60 of those.

Also I looked online and found some more diagnosis info, so yes, detonation. Probably from a number of factors including 87 gas, lean cruise and build up of oil from leaking valve seals. Oh well, she's gonna be built and dyno tuned when I get her back on the road. Hopefully I can get the time to make it happen this summer. New baby comes next week so time is not on my side.

Petro Can sells 94 now at select stations, and so does Husky but Husky has more ethanol. If you're looking for rods there's a set of Pauters on Kijiji here that the guy has had for ages I'm sure he'd make a deal.

Latest posts

Back