Alamo1's P5-T Build

Alamo1

:
Midnight P5 '02
Hey. I have been here a while but never introduced myself. I have had my 2002 Midnight blue P5 since December of '08. I love this little car and starting a job at a turbocharger shop in october of '08 has put the turbo itch under my skin.

So far I have done the mods in my sig and plan for a full turbo setup this winter. I just need to get myself a 4 wheel drive for these brutal canadian winters.

Pics to be posted soon.

The first install I did was to put in the Illumina's I got and to try the MSP springs that I had purchased off a local member. I was pretty disappointed with the springs so I found myself a set of Espelirs. They are much better. In the end I had changed out my suspension 3 times to get the result I wanted. Illuminas w/ MSP -> Illuminas w/ Stock P5's -> Illuminas w/ Espelirs. Granted it's not "SLAMMED", ride height and quality have greatly improved as well as removing the horrible wheel gap with my painted MP3 Wheels. I didn't take any pics of the car with the MSP springs on it because I had had quite enough that day.

And...if you noticed, I have taken off the Altezza's. I may put them back on if they don't sell.

This is the junkyard motor I pulled and I really am kicking myself for not grabbing the transmission. I still don't have any parts for the motor build but I'll put up some pics of the engine. I have tapped the windage tray and gotten the oil pump rebuilt by Doc B.

I had a guy that builds Diesel race trucks, and uses our turbochargers, come and measure the block. He told me all it would need is a cylinder hone and main align hone then it would be good to go for rebuilding.

Here are pics of the setup mocked up, almost ready to be bolted up.

Last edited:
Modifications:

Engine
Mazdaspeed Exhaust Manifold
Mazda OEM Intake Manifold (VTCS Delete)
Mazda OEM Polished Valve Cover
Pope 3" DownPipe
Custom 3" Straight Pipe Exhaust -- Added Vibrant Streetpower Muffler
Microtech LT10S Tuning Computer
WRX 440cc Injectors
GT2560R "GT28R" Turbocharger
TurboSmart Manual Boost Controller
turbolife Front Mount Intercooler
HKS SSQV Blow-off Valve
505Zoom Air Intake Box
DocB Customized Oil Pump
DocB External Oil Pressure Relief Valve
eBay Oil Filter Relocate Kit
Flashed MSP ECU #9 .... Thanks to SpicyorangeMSP (removed and sold)
Air Conditioning Delete
AWR Front and Rear Motormounts w/ Side Inserts

Drivetrain
Clutch Masters FX400 6 Puck Sprung Kit
FerdiTJandra Transaxle Bracing Plate
Welded MSP Limited Slip Differential
GTX 5th Gear
B&M Short Throw Shifter

Suspension
Tokico Illumina Struts
Espelir "Active Super Down" Springs

Interior
Alpine CDA-9885 Head Unit
Saab DIN 3 Gauge Holder
Custom Cluster 2 Gauge Bezel
Autometer ES Series Boost/Vac Gauge
Autometer ES Series Oil Pressure Gauge
Autometer ES Series Oil Temperature Gauge
AEM UEGO Wideband Air/Fuel Gauge
Saab Voltmeter Gauge

Exterior
3M Headlight Restoration
Side Moulding Delete
Mazda Fog Delete
Enkei Racinghart 17x7+55 -- Stock MP3 Rims
Sumitomo HTR Z II 215/45R17 Tires
8mm Wheel Spacers -- front
5mm Wheel Spacers -- rear

Still Requiring Installation
Stock block that STILL needs to be built
Pauter Rods - need big end resized
Arias Pistons - 8.5:1, 0.020 overbore, mismatched used set -- may just get some Stock bore Wiseco's
Garrett GT2871RS 0.86A/R Turbocharger -- Polished Cover

Parts Department - May be willing to part with for the right price
MAF Relocate Kit
MazdaSpeed Stock Downpipe
Stock Protege5 A/C System

Last edited:
i don't see a forged build in the plan - are you going to beefy-build it?

Do the reseach (there is a ton of info on this site) ;)

i don't see a forged build in the plan - are you going to beefy-build it?

Do the reseach (there is a ton of info on this site) ;)

Oh yeah. I plan to build it to the nines. The only issue is money. I have to wait and slowly get it going one step at a time.

Just got married in may and a honeymoon to hawaii killed the bank. I don't ever want to be in debt except for a house so saving is my only option. I have most of the turbo kit finished. Just lines and time to install, then low boost for now. I bought the Microtech off Neox so I have the ability to put down some serious power. I hate the fact that it will take so much time. I hope protege's haven't gone completely extinct y then.

Build the bottom end or boom boom come to town..........was the pic before the illuminas & espelirs?

yes, the after shot is coming. I have yet to figure out how to load more than two pics at a time.

Oh yeah. I plan to build it to the nines. The only issue is money. I have to wait and slowly get it going one step at a time.

Just got married in may and a honeymoon to hawaii killed the bank. I don't ever want to be in debt except for a house so saving is my only option. I have most of the turbo kit finished. Just lines and time to install, then low boost for now. I bought the Microtech off Neox so I have the ability to put down some serious power. I hate the fact that it will take so much time. I hope protege's haven't gone completely extinct y then.

That tends to happen. lol

Good luck with your build.

Only 7 more days till I get my truck. Then the Protege goes on blocks and gets some tlc.

Don't you worry, there will be lots. I may even try to swipe my wife's camera cuz mine is a piece of crap.(whistle)

Last edited:
subbing, good luck with your build and let me know if you have any questions. i would highly recommend going forged in the bottom end so you dont have to worry about being stranded later. check out my build as well!

sounds good. I am going to build the motor next year, going low boost for now. Thanks for the advice. (cool)

Latest posts

Back