2007-09 Mazda3 and Mazda5s Recalled to Fix Power Steering Issue

I, too received my second letter. The letter stated the parts were now available....WRONG

I called the nearest dealer, which is in El Paso, Tx. I was told they didn't have the parts yet.
I was advised to call them later and see if they had the parts yet. So, I'll have to do that Monday.

I have decided not to return to Las Cruces where I bought the car because the last time
I had them change the oil, it took 3 hours.

I'll let y'all know how Rudolph Mazda in El Paso does, if and when they get the part.

Well I finally got my second letter right before xmas. So I called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for yesterday. I had to drop it off on Tuesday night and my dealer was kind enough to provide me with a loaner free of charge. They let me drive a 2007 MS3! This was my first time driving a MS3 and boy did I have a blast! What fun we could have with this power train in our 5's! It was great driving with a "proper" gearbox. I really enjoyed this car. I picked up my car late Wednesday afternoon and all was good, they even washed her up! So for me this TSB was not a big deal at all. I hope the rest of you have similar experiences.

You mean the 6sp manual? that would be great fun, but the current 5spd MTX is alot of fun too. I feel sorry for people who bought the 4 or 5spd auto gearbox, it just robs the car of it's zoom-zoom personality!!

BTW anyone have a link to the TSB?? We haven't got it here in Canada as far as I know? what model years are affected?

Last edited:
You mean the 6sp manual? that would be great fun, but the current 5spd MTX is alot of fun too. I feel sorry for people who bought the 4 or 5spd auto gearbox, it just robs the car of it's zoom-zoom personality!!

BTW anyone have a link to the TSB?? We haven't got it here in Canada as far as I know? what model years are affected?

Check these links:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...r-Steering-Issue&highlight=power+steering+tsb

Post #34 in this link:

http://mazdas247.com/forum/showthre...ering-failure-on-Mazda5-(TSB-06-002-09)/page3

Merged another thread with this recall thread.

Glad to see others getting this fix done.

wife took our 09 mz5 in for the PS recall fix, she says the steering feels a bit "tighter or more responsive" than before, but ours never messed up or the warning light never came on to my knowledge.

Hi, I've got a 2008 Diesel Mazda 6 having the same problem, do you know if there is the same recall for the Mazda 6 please? Can't find any info on the net. My local Mazda dealer said the steering sensors have gone and I needed a new steering column costing 2,200 excluding labour and VAT!!
Be gentle, first post!
Many thanks

Hi, I've got a 2008 Diesel Mazda 6 having the same problem, do you know if there is the same recall for the Mazda 6 please? Can't find any info on the net. My local Mazda dealer said the steering sensors have gone and I needed a new steering column costing 2,200 excluding labour and VAT!!
Be gentle, first post!
Many thanks

Not sure about whether or not it falls within the recall. It should have been the first thing your dealership checked, so I'd ask them. But I do know (because my '07 5 had a recent power steering failure) that the recall is specific to the issue of the coating within the high pressure pipes/hoses flaking off and causing a pump failure. Mine had to do with the power steering systems own electronic control module failing (could be similar to your issue) and so not part of the recall. Also since it was not possible to just repair or replace that module, the whole power steering system had to be replaced.

They quoted me something like $1500 to $1900 bucks for the job (can't remember the exact cost now), but then I asked them to check the local wreckers for a used one. The found one from a newer vehicle with less kms on it and it dropped the cost of the repair by about half.

Many thanks for your reply Wishmaster, I'm getting in touch with Mazda UK about it and have asked the same question over in the Mazda 6 forum.

Back