2007-09 Mazda3 and Mazda5s Recalled to Fix Power Steering Issue

Good. Regardless of whether it's dangerous for me, if it alters the steering and makes driving more difficult, it could be very dangerous for very small, weak, or even really stupid people, which we have plenty of. The issue obviously was fixed if '10s don't do it. Do the right thing Mazda and fix it before the NHTSA forces you to.

Thanks for posting. THis is good news.

IIRC, if you look at the TSB that describes this problem there's no mention of the '06 there either. I believe the '06 falls under a different TSB number for this issue.

i know my 04 3 does it has failed on my wife a few times hopefully mazda will take care of us good luck to all the 06's hope you guys get fixed too

Tsuru, I'm just dubious about the ommision of the 06 model as I doubt there is a difference in the actual part. I've sent an email to Mazda and once I get an answer I will share.

I wasn't very happy about two things. That I had this problem happen to me, and that my dealership said if it becomes a problem, then they'll fix it. I think one time is enough when it's a known problem. I think Mazda should do a voluntary recall on their own.....

Transport Canada's Road Safety, Defects Investigation Division is currently investigating this problem. The information you provide may assist us.

In order to officially document your complaint, we request that you complete our on-line public complaint form. It can be accessed via the link below. Please include your vehicle's seventeen digit vehicle identification number (VIN), current kilometerage, a narrative of the incident or problem, along with all other pertinent and contact information. If you agree, please check the box that will allow us to contact the manufacturer on your behalf.
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDpp?Index

I read on the Mazda site that something like 35 reports had been made regarding the problem. If that is not a misprint with at least a couple of zeros missing then Mazda is a bold-faced lying sack of crap. You can probably find 350 3 and 5 owners just on this forum who have had the problem. This whole story really ticks me off. I'm glad the gigantic Federal bureaucracy that we all have to pay for is actually doing something useful for once and investigating the problem.

From the horses mouth ...

Message I got from Mazda:

"Thanks for contacting Mazda.

Please understand that this has been reviewed as far back as the 2004 models as that is when the Mazda3 came out. The only models affected in the investigation only involve 2007-2009.

Again, thank you for contacting Mazda.

Regards,"

Thanks for nothing Mazda; would it have killed you to provide more detail?

P.S. I've done a quick and very preliminary search for the power steering rack and pump to see if there is a difference between an 06 and the recalled models and can find none (same part numbers); Can anyone with more experience confirm that they are the same or point out what is unique about the 07-09 models with regards to the affected systems.

Message I got from Mazda:

"Thanks for contacting Mazda.

Please understand that this has been reviewed as far back as the 2004 models as that is when the Mazda3 came out. The only models affected in the investigation only involve 2007-2009.

Again, thank you for contacting Mazda.

Regards,"

Thanks for nothing Mazda; would it have killed you to provide more detail?

P.S. I've done a quick and very preliminary search for the power steering rack and pump to see if there is a difference between an 06 and the recalled models and can find none (same part numbers); Can anyone with more experience confirm that they are the same or point out what is unique about the 07-09 models with regards to the affected systems.

If I remember it correctly, there was a Bad batch of power steering pumps and there was a corresponding TSB which listed the VIN of the cars that needed the new parts. Mine was included and was promptly replaced by Destination Mazda when I called the service adviser about it. It took a couple weeks before the part arrived and I haven't had any problem since.

Here's a link to the old thread with the TSB.

http://mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123745861&page=3

Last edited:
http://wot.motortrend.com/6675895/r...called-to-fix-power-steering-issue/index.html

In June, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced a probe into power steering equipment on late-model Mazda 3 sedans and hatchbacks. Now, Mazda has issued a formal recall that extends to 2007-09 Mazda3 and Mazda5 models, totaling close to 200,000 vehicles combined.

The problem: Power steering failure, caused by rust contamination in pipes that connect the steering pump to the steering rack.

According to Mazda, if power steering fails, vehicles are still operable, but will require greater driver input. The NHTSA has received more than 30 complaints of loss of power steering for the '07 to '09 Mazda3. Three cases were linked to loss of steering control, which led to vehicle crashes.

The Mazda5 is a minivan based on the same platform as the 3 sedan and hatchback. A new model is on the way for 2011.

The fix: Mazda will replace the affected steering pumps and pipes.

Number of vehicles potentially affected: 200,000

Source: Automotive News (Subscription required)

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6675895/r...power-steering-issue/index.html#ixzz0wmwnRnSH

Guess I'll have to wait for the letter. I just spoke with my local dealership and my VIN is not listed as having an open recall. Does anyone have any links to official recall info, or are we dependent upon news articles for now?

My Mazda5 was built in September, 2008, so it will probably be affected. It's an '09 that I bought in February, 2009.

You can see the month / year that your Mazda5 was built on the sticker on the driver's side door jamb.

From a different article:

The Japanese automaker told the government the recall involved model year 2007-2009 Mazda3 and Mazda5 vehicles built from April 2007 through November 2008. The recall involves 215,000 vehicles in the United States and an additional 100,000 vehicles in Canada and Mexico.
So Canadian Mazda5s will (most likely) be recalled also.

I'm wondering if they also started the canister filters on Mazda5s built in December, 2008? That is, whether the type of oil filter the Mazda5 has can indicate whether it will be included in the recall?

I logged into my Mazda account yesterday and even though my car falls within all known ranges of affected cars, the Mazda site clearly stated that there were no recalls. Whatever.

Back