spark plugs for 08 mazda 3, 2.5

Craiger52

What is the best plug for daily driving, and what gap should be used?
Anybody ever changed their air cabin filter in a mazda 3, 5 door?

I haven't actually changed my cabin air filter myself, but I had it done by the dealer. I guess it is a real pain in the butt if you don't know what you are doing. Check around I believe there is a thread on changing it.

i use the mfg recommended ngk ix iridium plugs...they should come pre gapped

and i dont know about the air cabin filter

I read a thread on changing that filter if I recall it sounds like a serious pain. Dash or center console removal I believe.

From what I gather it isn't the whole dash, just some covers down at the bottom of the center council on the passenger side. There is very little space and it is hard to get at. My filters were seriously dirty at 30,000 miles. I had mine changed when I had my car in for other maintenance.

well im bringing mine into the dealer tomorrow for some routine maintenance, so ill ask the tech how to do it when i talk to him

First off, your factory plugs should be good for at least 75k miles, and unless you do some serious miles, I'm guessin' yours don't need changing... yet.
And after some extensive research, part of which you are doing now, I too would recommend the OE NGK plugs. You won't gain anything anyway, and putting non-standard plugs in could cause more trouble than they are worth.

The cabin filter, though I don't have one in my '04, is extracted through the RS lower console cover. The glove box must also be removed or at least released to get to it.
Glad I don't have one of these. You do have the option to just remove it though if you wanted to, just as I could install one... and save yourself the extra bucks every year or so. Those things are pretty expensive. The best price I have seen (aftermarket of course) is almost $30 ea!! Must be that gold thread they lace into it. :D :D :D

Last edited:
yeah you have to remove the glove compartment to get to the cabin filter, but check with the dealership, mine only wanted $60 to replace it, so i just went ahead and did it

You don't HAVE to remove the glove box to replace the cabin air filter, it just makes the job a lot easier. If you're small and/or flexible you can do it pretty easily without removing the glove box -- I did. Took about 45 minutes start to finish, working slowly and carefully.

Back