SmartKey Issues

So when the key is sitting in the car (running) and you open either the drivers' or passengers door, then close them, we get the red 'KEY' idiot light blinking, as well as the beeping. I thought this was only to happen when the key was OUTSIDE the running car? This will then continue to beep/blink if we drive the car. I have to turn the car off, then back on again for it to stop.

We switched keys thinking it was the battery in the regularly used key (not the spare), but same issue is happening.

Just wanted to see if this was a common issue, and if it's an easy fix?

Warrenty is almost up and have to bring in 'da 9' for the 'AC going on after turning car off issue' also.

If I open the doors while it's running, take the keys with me and close the door it does beep at me. I don't think it does it if i just open the doors and then close them while I'm still inside. Where are you keeping the key? Sounds like a trip to the shop...

So when the key is sitting in the car (running) and you open either the drivers' or passengers door, then close them, we get the red 'KEY' idiot light blinking, as well as the beeping. I thought this was only to happen when the key was OUTSIDE the running car? This will then continue to beep/blink if we drive the car. I have to turn the car off, then back on again for it to stop.

We switched keys thinking it was the battery in the regularly used key (not the spare), but same issue is happening.

Just wanted to see if this was a common issue, and if it's an easy fix?

Warrenty is almost up and have to bring in 'da 9' for the 'AC going on after turning car off issue' also.

I have had the same issue with the blinking key signal after starting the car and exiting then re-entering. The only way I can get rid of it is the same way you have, by turning the car off and back on. I have even driven down the road for 20 minutes with the key by the shifter and the blinking key indcator shows even after FOB battery replacement.

I have had the same issue with the blinking key signal after starting the car and exiting then re-entering. The only way I can get rid of it is the same way you have, by turning the car off and back on. I have even driven down the road for 20 minutes with the key by the shifter and the blinking key indcator shows even after FOB battery replacement.

Same here, but no beep. It happened when I stopped at a rest stop, got out while my family waited in the car, and came back. Annoyed the hell out of me because the red key was on, but it went away after turning off then on again. Not sure what it's trying to tell me. As far as I remember, I left the key in the car when I left, which is why I assume it did not beep.

Well, I guess I feel better that it's happening to others, however, no solution given. Have to figure out when to bring her in, but will update forum once I get the truck back.

Thanks everyone

Onr remote key fob is highly sensitive with other interference. I discovered that if you put the key fob and your cell phone on the same pocket it usually cause the fob not being detected. In addition, it also has a limited operational range for the buttons compares to other car brands.

I actually tried it when I got off work today.
This is the "normal behavior".
- KeyCard in pocket, inside cabin, start engine - no problem
- open the door - no problem
- leave the cabin far enough (2-3ft from driver's open door) - the red light blinks and beeps
- get closer to the cabin, the beeping stops - red ligh stays on
- get away from door again - still no more beeping
- get in cabin (close door or not) - red light go away
- able to start engine - no problem

Summary, the beeping sounds off only on the 1st leave from cabin. The beeping stops when the keyCard gets close enough to the door, but the red light stays until keyCard is well inside the cabin.

As far as I know, the SmartKey system determines the location of keyCard by comparing the strength of signals received from various sensors. Two among them are critical in this situation. The one (A) inside the front door, and the one (B) inside the center dash.
When signal strength received by (A) and (B) are roughly equal, the system determines the keyCard is inside the cabin (recall that the detectable range is only 2-3ft). When (B) detects no signal, or much weaker than what (A) detects, the system determines that the keyCard is out of cabin. The system pretty much employs the same approach to locate keyCard and allows certain request buttons to be active (on the doors and hatch).

Now, according the issue described by some of you, it seems like one of the sensors (either A or B) is unstable. By "unstable" I means it works when engine is off, but fails once the red light/beeps are triggered. Or the body control module (BCM), which controls the SmartKey system is wacky. Or, maybe your 12V battery is not holding enough charge or a loose connect of the terminals.
I would start checking on the easy ones and visit the dealer if all else fails.

Just my two cents....

Last edited:
I have / had the same issue in my 2007 CX-9.

I found out that when I have the USB loader from my TomTom inserted into the 12v plug in the center dash, the car starts beeping when I open a door.
And also the key light starts blinking.

If the USB loader is disconnected none of the issues appear.

Could it be that the electronics of the loader (switching power supply?) is interfering with the sensor in the center dash?

Last edited:
Back