double/sit-and-stand stroller behind third row...

dishe

:
'07 Mazda 5 & '05 Mazda 3i
I know this is a tall order, but I feel like it *can* be done!

We bought a "baby trend" brand sit and stand stroller, thinking that is most likely to fit behind the third row of seats (we usually leave one seat in the back up at least), and part of it juts out just too much to allow the door to close.

Looking at the mechanism and general size of the unit, I feel like this is actually possible, except that this particular model has a silly tray area that makes one end jut out too far from the wheels when collapsed, keeping it a couple of inches past the door frame.

There MUST be a more efficiently designed sit-and-stand or double stroller that would fit back there!

Someone on this forum mentioned a Joovy Caboose Ultra light, however I'm unable to find out locally to try.
Anyone else have any experience to share about fitting something back there?

I have a Peg Perego Pliko P3 Classico, at $399 MSRP (you might find one for less) it's pretty pricey but it folds down umbrella style and barely fits perfectly behind the Mazda 5's third row seats. One baby sits in the front, one toddler stands in the back. It's also designed to hold a Peg Perego rear facing child seat although a Graco one fits just fine with a minor little modification (a bit of chiseling to the safety lock kicks in). I bought a four year old model in good condition for considerably less than retail, although I would love to buy a brand new one in Java Brown. My only regret is that I only got this stroller a month ago. The Graco stroller was killing us.

I do not have a Mz5 (yet) but when I test drove it a few months back I took note of the back and 'think' the Joovy Caboose or Caboose Ultralight (basically the same) will fit with the 3rd row up. I've see the Baby Trend sit and stand and it does fold up quite bulky. I recommend the Ultralight not b/c it is lighter but b/c it has ball bearing wheels!

Suggestion, check craigslist for purchase and can test fit in the car! Be sure to post some pics.

http://www.ratedbymom.com/2010/04/spotlight-product-review-joovy-caboose-ultralight-2010/

I do not have a Mz5 (yet) but when I test drove it a few months back I took note of the back and 'think' the Joovy Caboose or Caboose Ultralight (basically the same) will fit with the 3rd row up. I've see the Baby Trend sit and stand and it does fold up quite bulky. I recommend the Ultralight not b/c it is lighter but b/c it has ball bearing wheels!

Suggestion, check craigslist for purchase and can test fit in the car! Be sure to post some pics.

http://www.ratedbymom.com/2010/04/spotlight-product-review-joovy-caboose-ultralight-2010/

Ah, so you're just guessing... I like the joovy more because it actually has a sit and stand style SEAT instead of just a mini-step for the kid to hold onto like the p3. But, the p3 is guaranteed to fit as someone has already done it (can you post pics, btw?).
With either stroller, no one nearby me has it in stock, so I would need to order it just to find out if it fits or not... :(
Starting to REALLY wish this vehicle were a tad longer...

Ah, so you're just guessing... I like the joovy more because it actually has a sit and stand style SEAT instead of just a mini-step for the kid to hold onto like the p3. But, the p3 is guaranteed to fit as someone has already done it (can you post pics, btw?).
With either stroller, no one nearby me has it in stock, so I would need to order it just to find out if it fits or not... :(
Starting to REALLY wish this vehicle were a tad longer...
Have you looked through the Mazda5 interior/cargo flexibility photos thread? Look through that (there are some great pics with measurements), measure your trunk and compare to the dimensions of a Joovy when folded to make an educated guess.

We are expecting our 2nd soon and Mz5 with Joovy combo is our plan of attack. Ive research both of these to death. I made and took (from other members) a few reference pics for you. Look at the size of the Joovy folded and look at the pic with the imaginary boxes in Japanese spec photo. The only measurement that is of concern is the unknown depth of the topmost part of the stroller (guesstimate ~7 based on scaling the pic) and the amount of space between the top most part of the 3rd row to the back of the trunk (someone should post this measurements and height of the back seat since I have not seen it anywhere). Might have to remove (unless you are willing to squish) the sun canopy if you want to put it in vertically. Or you can always put it in horizontally with one side of the wheels above the headrest.

I cant see why it wouldnt fit. But then again I am just guessing...

Attachments

• CabooseUL vs trunk.jpg
    CabooseUL vs trunk.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 545
  • Volume.JPG
    Volume.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 417
It won't fit.

It's not that bad though, with our Graco stroller we lost a seat, no big deal. We probably filled the car with six people maybe 5 times in the last year. And I figure when we have our second and the oldest gets too tired to stand, I can carry either one of them. As it stands right now sometimes he gets too fussy to stay in a stroller all the time so I end up having to carry him with one arm and push the stroller with the other.

I will take a photo tonight when I get home before I start packing for our road trip with five people to Edmonton. :)

It won't fit.

BOOYA!
Take THAT, DKaz!!!!!!!

IMAG0372.jpg

I'll admit, when we tried the store model we couldn't get it to fit. We bought it anyway because my wife really wanted a stroller our 3 year old could sit on while we push the baby, and we decided folding half the rear down was an acceptable compromise.

When we got it home, I tried again- not sure what was different this time, but it FIT, just barely, but the door closed.

Granted, the door met a little resistance while being closed, but not any more than I noticed with our snap-n-go frame being back there.

Will post a video soon...

Wow, I forgot how embarrasing it is to hear your own voice on video.
Not sure why it took me almost 3 minutes to describe what I'm doing here before I actually show you, but here is the fully assembled stroller fitting into the back of my 5, with all seats up!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E2XuGElXriQ&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E2XuGElXriQ&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Good to hear. (drinks)

Could you post a pic of the stroller vertically in the trunk with the sun canopy and car seat attachment removed to see by how much it won’t fit? Is the problem due to the stroller being too tall or is it too deep/thick between the 3rd row and trunk? Does it help at all if you take out the trunk floor cover or spare tire (thereby pushing the stroller farther down)? Just to see if it is worth removing the rear tire and carrying a can of fix-a-flat. Not ideal but doable for local daily use and throw the spare back in when going somewhere far. Anyone tried mounting the spare under (outside) of the car?

If the issue is with space between the 3rd row and trunk, is it possible to extend the 3rd row seat’s upright latch mechanism to lock a few inches more forward? It would suck for the person sitting in this seat but something’s gotta give.

Last edited:
Good to hear. (drinks)

Could you post a pic of the stroller vertically in the trunk with the sun canopy and car seat attachment removed to see by how much it won’t fit? Is the problem due to the stroller being too tall or is it too deep/thick between the 3rd row and trunk? Does it help at all if you take out the trunk floor cover or spare tire (thereby pushing the stroller farther down)? Just to see if it is worth removing the rear tire and carrying a can of fix-a-flat. Not ideal but doable for local daily use and throw the spare back in when going somewhere far. Anyone tried mounting the spare under (outside) of the car?

If the issue is with space between the 3rd row and trunk, is it possible to extend the 3rd row seat’s upright latch mechanism to lock a few inches more forward? It would suck for the person sitting in this seat but something’s gotta give.

I'm not sure I understand- vertically? Like, standing up behind the seat?
The slant of the rear seats means it would be slanted outward, the making it stick more and more out of the door cavity the higher it is. Not only would you be unable to close the door, but I would also imagine it would fall out as soon as you let go of it...

I'm not sure I understand- vertically? Like, standing up behind the seat?
The slant of the rear seats means it would be slanted outward, the making it stick more and more out of the door cavity the higher it is. Not only would you be unable to close the door, but I would also imagine it would fall out as soon as you let go of it...

Yes, standing vertically. I understand the 3rd row seats slant backwards, leaving a very narrow gap and am pretty sure it wont fit but curious to know how far off it is. If a few inches, I can think about looking into making a spacer/bracket (me guessing again) to make one of the seats push forward a bit more question is how much more. Also, removing the bottom panel and spare will add some space and change the dynamics of how the stroller fits inside. Just a though as this would make storage a bit easier.

Regarding falling out, cant you lock the wheels from rolling? I also have a horizontal cargo net that I can use to keep it in place.

See pic, obviously not scaled to size Assuming the height of the trunk cavity even accommodates the height of the stroller folded (minus car adapter and sun canopy)

Attachments

• mazda5_caboose.jpg
    mazda5_caboose.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 356
Yes, standing vertically. I understand the 3rd row seats slant backwards, leaving a very narrow gap and am pretty sure it wont fit but curious to know how far off it is. If a few inches, I can think about looking into making a spacer/bracket (me guessing again) to make one of the seats push forward a bit more question is how much more. Also, removing the bottom panel and spare will add some space and change the dynamics of how the stroller fits inside. Just a though as this would make storage a bit easier.
It actually doesn't offer you that much more space to remove the cover there. I really don't see how it could help much at all.

Regarding falling out, cant you lock the wheels from rolling? I also have a horizontal cargo net that I can use to keep it in place.

It will fall out simply from gravity alone. The angle of the seats would have a vertically-mounted stroller practically falling out before you even let go. Even if someone were to physically hold the wheels down on the bottom, the top would still topple outward.

I guess I could try it next time we go out with it, but I really don't see much use in it...

BOOYA!
Take THAT, DKaz!!!!!!!

Good to know! :) Hey I wasn't knocking, this is really great news. I may get one if I do really need a stroller and a half in the near future although it seems that my little one gets fussy sitting in the stroller all the time and would rather be doing this:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http://vid286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/DKazrolla/IMG_0349.mp4">
Direct Video Link

Well I did promise photos, not as cool as your stroller but it does allow for some cargo to be stored above. :)

090319b8.jpg

9a3fadf3.jpg

1c32ccbd.jpg

Back