Coolant leak

Mybeauner

:
MAZDASPEED3
so this morning i was on my way to work and the car started to over-heat. I was about 3 seconds from work so I got there and was about 3/4 to the H so nothing to hot. Let my everything cool down for a bit and again the temp started to rise. I shut her down and took a look and found that my coolant resevoir is empty and I have a signifigant leak on the driver side of my engine bay. Still have not found the leak or what not but going to look on my break. Any ideas on where to look with only this info? Thanks.

Well if its on the drivers side then it could be the upper hose, it might be hard to see but I have heard of people blowing radiator hoses before..

When it's hot, the leak should be very easy to see/hear. Just listen for the hissing/bubbling/boiling sound and look to see where you see it coming from. Then replace whatever gaskets or hoses are leaking.

Thanks usMP3. I could here the hissing when I was in my can parked so I'm sure it will be easy enough to find.

Thanks usMP3. I could here the hissing when I was in my can parked so I'm sure it will be easy enough to find.

Np, same thing happened to me last week. Pulled into work last Tuesday morning and heard the hissing/boiling sound. Popped my hood to see coolant bubbling/boiling out of the gasket sealing the water inlet into the water pump. (argh)

I ended up buying a roll of water/coolant gasket material and cutting my own gaskets. Replaced most of the gaskets in my cooling system just to be safe. Figured if one went, the others were probably well worn, too. Granted my Protege is almost 10 years old... (lol2)

Be careful not to let it get too hot on your way home tonight. Blast the heat & take it easy. ;)

Last edited:
be sure to check the upper radiator hose, it is held in place by a clip known to fail. When the clip fails, the hose falls down, directly into the path of the fan blades. You can figure out what happens then........

super unique, i did check it ant it looks like a clip did fail but the hose melted and coolant was spraying everywhere. so i did fix it with hose tape and a slightly snug clamp to be safe. Thanks all!

Back