Official ATX to MTX swap parts list with how-to

I hear you man, especially since you know that wiring has been bipassed before by others you just need them to chime in and tell you how lol.. When you get it done on your car, you have to let me know so I can add it to the how-to for how to get by the clutch wiring on tiptronics

Okay will do for sure! I am at the point where I just want it done tho lol I will try and get some pictures and stuff, share with people and to document the craziness of this :p

damn u guys are extremely helpful lol but, i have this mechanic in town who replaced and forged my new motor because i blew the old 2.0l it came with originally and when he gave it back to me he told me my tranny was going out so thats when this thread caught my eye! but i figure like this if he can rebuild my engine and but it back in and ect then hed have no problem doing this swap for me.....problem is wrecked 5 speed proteges or even p5's are pretty hard to come by in alaska, other wise i would have no issue getting a parts car perhaps if i look on CraigsList in canada?!?! ither way i have to get my auto tranny ither replaced with another auto or get a 5-speed because i dont know how much longer it will LASSSTT

Well if you are willing to pay to get it done then I'd say for sure get your town mechanic to do it. And go check out Kijiji, its like the Canadian CraigsList, might have to be patient and wait a bit for one to pop up but it will be worth it for sure! keep us posted

thanks for the support i will keep you guys posted.... as for now only thing i did was get some transmission stop slip and leak s*** and it worked the first day but now it seems to be doing the same

So I attempted to swap the car from auto to 5 speed this weekend and things went incredibly well and we thought we were gonna have the car running by saturday night when we ran into serious problems. We could not get the tranny to mate with the engine and I have no clue why (N) We called it a night and tried for a few hours on sunday before throwing in the towel and taking it to a shop. I am dissapointed I couldn't finish it myself but it was my first time attempting anything like this so considering everything I am pretty cool with it. The shop is gonna check my work that I have done so far and then attach the tranny and I will finish the rest off!

2002 protege 5 with cruise and abs just like mine, and pretty much lack of knowledge haha shop will have there part done by friday, car will come home and be finished by the time night falls (Y)

Been a while since I have been on, sounds like you should finished with your swap by now? How did it go?

Yup its all done and has been up and running without issues for a week. Had some gauge cluster issues that I fixed pretty easily. Just forgot to ground out some wires (I always do for some reason). I love it, still getting used to it tho, and in hind sight the Fidanza flywheel could probably have been left out. Its nice but for a daily driver its somewhat unneccessary, the Mazdaspeed one would have been a better option. But TWM SS is on the way! Just need to get a nice shift boot and some pedals.

p.s. I attempted to put in my MP3 ECU today and it caused my speedo to not work, and my gas gauge to act up. I am gonna try some stuff tomorrow tho cause the difference is amazing.

I hear you on the Fidanza man, it takes a lil while to get used to. But otherwise thats sweet you're done and problem free! What did you end up doing to bypass the clutch pedal wiring thats not on the tiptronics?

Talked to Circuit, I wouldn't have been able to do it without him thats sure. I just cut out the Neutral Safety switch from my parts car ran some wire to the engine harness where there was a wire that matched in colour. Spliced it and then grounded out the other wire and voila! Started up first try. I am still finding time to do the connector for the cruise control if not I may just delete it, I hardly use it.

And I gotta thank you man, this how to was vital in doing this swap. I pretty much did it based on the parts list you had and got my basic knowledge from reading it over and over making sure I had everything. It literally would not have happened without this. (Y)

Sweet! That sounds almost too easy to be true! But awesome it worked. I went out on a limb when I did this swap since I was gathering information from a million different sources, but now that you were able to get it to work, I know that this how to is good enough to guide others to accomplish this too without stearing anyone in the wrong direction. Plus its good to know how to get the swap to work on all proteges, tiptronic and not. Thanks man! And good job! (thumb)

Thanks! and yeah I am real happy with it! Excpet a new problem has arrived, my AC fan only works on 1 and its the hottest day of the summer out atm so I am gonna have to play with it this weekend lol

so i am about to dig into this finally. i had a mp3 as a donor car ripped everything out of it. i am going to be using the mp3 ecu and intake mani in my car. i have a tiptronic so i guess ill find out bout not having those plugs under the dash. but what problem did you have with the ecu that made the guage cluster not work and what did you do to fix it. i have about 400 into the swap so far before buying my fidanza flywheel spec stage 2 clutch and twm ss

It was a wiring problem, if you encounter it PM me and I will explain what I had to do to fix it. It was really simple but takes a bit of time to explain properly. Also wiring up the clutch is super easy aswell, when you are ready for it to be explained I will take pictures and give you the details.

BEWARE: Those who have tiptronic auto and plan to swap to manual have to swap dash harness also. (if you have done the swap already, then i stand clear from my statements) As i stated earlier in the thread that the cluster was not working. The manual engine harness was not mating with the tiptronic dash harness. Those who want your clusters to work need to swap both engine and dash harness.

The tiptronic dash harness has a few more wires than a regular automatic setup and the pin-out are slightly different.

I'm only speaking from experience and it's been over a year since i've done the swap. I got fed up with the cluster not working and that was the only thing that was not working. I didn't like the feeling of not knowing how much gas I had, nor what kind of RPM i was at. It kept me from doing mt street tune. I decided to locate a whole non-tiptronic dash harness to swap in and do it the right way. I just thought I put my experience out there.

Latest posts

Back