Official ATX to MTX swap parts list with how-to

Are you sure the two connectors aren't up near the fuse box? The connectors are incorportated into the dash harness and not the engine harness so they should be up there. Even the parts catalog mentions that the dash harness are universal between the five speed and the automatics.

idavli.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. As for the statement. mine didn't come with it. myself and two of my other buddies (including Circuit) were looking for it. So instead we re had to re wire the harness to mimic the original setup for the clutch.

ATM i'm still currently having issues with the Cluster. The wires from the MSP don't match up with the p5 auto (tiptonic) harness. Many of the pins were very different from the msp engine harness to the p5 dash harness. XD still need to figure what's wrong with the cluster. I am using the MSP cluster now.

I had a feeling a tiptronic swap was a whole different beast, luckily I had the much simpler LX to work with. Good luck getting the cluster to work man.

Great thread! Its very helpful. Thanks a ton! I have a ATX P5 with tiptronic and I have a donor car on the way, I am thinking it will be alot easier than trying to collect all the parts in steps. But I was wondering if you guys think it would be possible to do without removing the engine? I can get a hoist but I am just curious....

It can easily be done without pulling the engine, you just need to use an engine hoist to secure the motor as there are three motor mounts that are attached to the transmission.

Quick question. Do you know if any 5spd DX's came with ABS? Im asking cuz I have ABS and live in NY so I cant have any CELs if I want to pass inspection lol

Also, how much did the tranny run ya and how much would you estimate for a non-msp tranny. The tranny is the only thing I havent figured out a rough estimate for yet ... mainly cuz I dont know where I would get one yet lol .... oh and roughly how much did it weigh?

Last edited:
Quick question. Do you know if any 5spd DX's came with ABS? Im asking cuz I have ABS and live in NY so I cant have any CELs if I want to pass inspection lol

Also, how much did the tranny run ya and how much would you estimate for a non-msp tranny. The tranny is the only thing I havent figured out a rough estimate for yet ... mainly cuz I dont know where I would get one yet lol .... oh and roughly how much did it weigh?

Hey man, I don't think the ABS will matter if you already have ABS on your car. That just means your speedometer is taking the speed from the axles, not the transmission. So even if you were able to get a pair of axles from a five speed that didnt have ABS, you could just bang the little metal gear off from your automatic axles and put it on your 5 speed axles.
As for prices, I got a sweet deal for a whole bunch of parts that I drove to pick up. I spent like 800 on a MSP tranny with like 50k miles, pedals, all the motor mount brackets, starter, and the hydraulic pieces. I would bet a regular tranny though depending on condition would be like 250-500 while a MSP would be around 600 to 1000 again depending on mileage and condition. And oh yeah, its like 70 to 80 pounds I'd guess, and cuz of that a PIA to get attached to the motor lol

Okay can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction on how to bypass the clutch to start the car? I have a tiptronic P5 and do not have the 2 clutch pedal connector pins on the dash harness.... I have the donor car so if I had to I could pull the dash harness and switch that to my car too but I am thinking that would be a huge PINA! Thanks.

soo i have a 2.0 lx and i was very interested in doing this but my problem is im a bit of a novice when it comes to things like this so would it be a good idea for me to try to tackle this my self? and if not would it be easier to buy the parts or get a donor car

and another thing i was wondering is if i got a manual tranny from a protege5 could i still do this or would it be something out of your realm?

The protege5 tranny would work for sure, and I think the best way is to get a donor car at this stage of the game cause you can pick them up for cheap. I am pretty sure sourcing out all the parts individially would be tougher and more expensive. Just like bschatz I had to wait a long time and do a lot of research and prep work, and I still have a pretty major snag that I have to overcome before I start tearing mine apart.

well iamthewheelman would you say it is very difficult swap because im not super mechanically inclined i got an idea but the only thing motor wise ive ever really done is take my valve cover off and replace some things under there nothing to pro status but i just don't want to jump into this and fukkk it all up because im really new to trying to do these things my self

and another stupid question would a 5 speed tranny from a 1999 work i know they are a 1.6l engine because i once had one but do they come in a 2.0l and if not would a 1.6l 5 speed auto tranny fit a 2.0l motor? i feel like nuuuube

No problem man, I honestly wouldn't know about the 1.6, a tranny from a 1.8L would work I am pretty sure tho. And if the car is your daily driver then make sure you do alot of reserch and get very prepared to make sure you have the time to do it. I am no pro either, so I would say your best bet is to find a parts car and tear it apart to get the parts you will need because that way you will see how everything goes and works, take pictures, use labels or what ever works to help you remember stuff. I finally got everything out that I need yesterday and at this point I just want it to be done, its a pain in the ass but as everyone that has done it will tell you, its worth it!

Hey Protege-fiend, I would say if you have a friend who is a mechanic, have them help out or it's probably gonna be a hard job to do and if you don't have all the tools and mechanical know-how. My friend is a mechanic at SAAB so he had alot of tools he brought home which made everything easier. The best part of the swap is its pretty much just that, a straight swap where you dont have to modify anything to get it to work. And I'd say a parts car would likely make it the fastest way to source parts, but when I did my thing I wanted to go new for a lot of parts like motor mounts, clutch, and flywheel so alot of the parts I would't have used. But with a parts car, you can at least resell what you don't need on the forum to get you some of your cash back.

I don't think you will be able to use the transmissions from the smaller motor engines, just the G15M-R transmission. I think the transmission in those proteges is the F25M-R.

How's your swap going iamthewheelman?

Well everything is out of the parts car and the Fidanza flywheel arrived today! Once the clutch comes in the only thing stopping me from starting will be the actual clutch pedal wiring. I refuse to let something so simple ruin this project because its gona quite well so far lol

Back