Official ATX to MTX swap parts list with how-to

This may very well be one of the best threads in this whole forum! I've been investigating this project for some time and bschatz2 has just made a huge leap by posting his list. THANKS bschatz2!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, this is definately an awesome start. That is what forums should be all about, sharing useful info to help each other out. Thanks again. Just out of curiosity what is the estimated cost of the parts you accumulated for this swap?

Hey no prob man, I found everything I needed to know about this swap by reading through a million different threads so I figured I would just condense everything into one end all thread lol.. It cost me like 3k and a year and a half worth of saving / research.. this swap can be done alot cheaper though if you had to. Since this is such a big involved job, I wanted to go big so I went with a new lightweight flywheel, a new uprated clutch, a MSP tranny with LSD, and I took my tranny to a shop to be checked out, have the LSD welded, and to have the speedo gear installed which def added to the price. I bet it could be done for like a grand or less if your able to find a straight up parts car and didnt want to get so many new parts. But if you ask me, going with new parts now will save you money in the long run so yeah (thumb)

I just kept a watch out on the forums for part outs and what not and eventually I was able to find what I was looking for. Patience was key lol

for the two harnesses did you use the 5speed Protege/Protege5 harness and a MSP starter harness? I have the same setup as you. I just want to make sure i get the right harnesses.

For a starter harness, it shouldn't matter which type a car it comes from be it a MSP or just a Regular protege or P5, as long as it's from a 5 speed. As for the engine harness, you should be looking for a harness from DX, LX, ES, or P5. At that point, I'm not sure if you have a P5 with ABS or not, but I know ABS cars have a extra connector for an ABS pump which might cause a check engine light. Also, it might matter if the car its coming from has cruise control or not. Since my LX has cruise control and no ABS, I was able to find a engine harness from a guy with a 5 speed ES with cruise control and and no ABS. I didnt throw any CEL after the swap was done so it worked out for me.

I'm using a msp harness with the p5. I'll update with what's going on. As for the clutch switch, my car didn't come those two harnesses for te clutch pedal. As of right now, I'm trying to bypass the clutch pedal to allow me to start the car. This is basically the only thing preventing me from turning over the car.

I'm using a msp harness with the p5. I'll update with what's going on. As for the clutch switch, my car didn't come those two harnesses for te clutch pedal. As of right now, I'm trying to bypass the clutch pedal to allow me to start the car. This is basically the only thing preventing me from turning over the car.

Are you sure the two connectors aren't up near the fuse box? The connectors are incorportated into the dash harness and not the engine harness so they should be up there. Even the parts catalog mentions that the dash harness are universal between the five speed and the automatics.

idavli.jpg

So i got an amazing deal and i am picking up a mp3 with a blown motor. So i have all the little bolts and clips and misc stuff. Do you think that the mp3 engine harness will work. i do have a tiptronic now anybody run into different issues with it. Also gonna be upgrading the flywheel and clutch along with a short shifter. Any input would be great. Im not in a rush to do this swap cuz i have a car for a daily so i will also be trying to do a wire tuck at the same time.

mp3 harness will work fine. run it with the mp3 ecu and intake manifold so that you don't get a cell and have a little more power.

/\ What he said.. MP3's have a different intake manifold then the regular protege as well as no cruise control, so if you just swap everything over from the MP3 you shouldn't run into any CEL's.

Also with that tiptronic, you might wanna do a little extra research on that. When I was doing my swap, I saw some one mention you might need to swap instrument clusters as well, but I don't know for sure. Search the site and I am sure you'll find what you need though.

Bschatz2, that is the best auto to manual conversion walk through I have ever seen, so detailed great job man. I have been wanting to do the same thing since my auto is starting to act up more and more. Not sure if you know anything about the 1.6, I have never found a thing on people swapping it on the 1.6 , do you know if the actual transmission for 2.0L and the 1.6L are the same? I know the 1.6 is a 4 bolt and the 2.0L a 5 bolt but haven't found anything differentiating the two.

Also with that tiptronic, you might wanna do a little extra research on that. When I was doing my swap, I saw some one mention you might need to swap instrument clusters as well, but I don't know for sure. Search the site and I am sure you'll find what you need though.

I *think* the cluster swap is optional. From what I remember it is just so that it doesn't look weird having a stick and having gear indicators on the cluster.

To Protege6: I don't know too much about whats interchangable between the 1.6 and 2.0 so I don't want to give you any false information. I believe there are things interchangable between the 1.8 and 2.0 but I don't think that carries over to the 1.6.

To Sport23: That makes sense, could be just for aesthetic reasons to swap the clusters.

To Empire: Thanks man!

Back