Flav's Mazda Protege5

good choice on the TWM, I've had mine for 2 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. Removing the old bushing was actually really easy, I did it with my bare hands in a couple minutes.

Yeah it really was a great buy. Do you have a weighted shift knob as well?

Update:

As far as weighted shift knobs go, someone on another board mentioned Blox racing knobs, they're about 420 gram's I believe, and go for about $50-$70 rather then TWM's $135+ So I think I'm going to go with one of their shift knobs.
Does anyone know what the thread pitch is for the protege? I believe it's 10x1.25mm, someone correct me if i'm wrong :)

here's the shift knob i'm looking at.

http://www.bloxracing.com/bloxshop/index.php?route=product/product&path=34_69&product_id=419

Update:

As far as weighted shift knobs go, someone on another board mentioned Blox racing knobs, they're about 420 gram's I believe, and go for about $50-$70 rather then TWM's $135+ So I think I'm going to go with one of their shift knobs.
Does anyone know what the thread pitch is for the protege? I believe it's 10x1.25mm, someone correct me if i'm wrong :)

here's the shift knob i'm looking at.

http://www.bloxracing.com/bloxshop/index.php?route=product/product&path=34_69&product_id=419

M10x1.25 is correct. Make sure the depth is correct, I bought https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) one but it didn't fit because the threads were recessed too deep into the knob. I ended up JB welding a sleeve nut into the the knob to make it usable. I suspect you won't have that problem with the knob you linked to.

The knob I have is also about 400g, it feel sooo much better than the super-light knob that came on the '02 P5s.

Thanks cheese,

Think I'll order this later when i get a chance to relax at work... I just remembered why i love my city when the students aren't here..

Last edited:
Decided against the Blox Shift knob seeing as eBay wasn't willing to ship to Canada.
Instead I went down to a local performance shop here and found this http://store.skunk2.com/accessories/shift-knobs.html
In and out the door for $80 taxes in.

In my opinion another must buy for any manual driver. This weighted knob really improves shifting, especially with this short shifter. I was finding that before I had this knob and just using the stock knob with the short shifter, I need to apply a little bit of muscle into each shift :p Where as this, it just feels right.

Highly recommend these items to anyone reading this!

I think next I may make myself a custom shift boot, we'll see.

Update:

Re trying the custom upholstered doors. Last time I did it, I wasn't as patient and chose a very "rice" blue.. this time I was more patient and went with a darker blue to try and match the car. Only did the driver door for now to test how I feel about it in a few days.

Anyone like it? Hate it?

Pics

0Yjl9.jpg

UvyAF.jpg

6awrI.jpg

Here's a recent pic from today. Seems like more people notice the car with a bike actually on it..
Door's are 3/4 done now. Got too dark to post some better pics. Also need to show off the new short shifter/knob.
My progress probably won't be going to far at the moment seeing as I was just laid off (fml)
Hoping that by this coming summer I'll be going Turbo, I love this car so much.. Just wish it had some pep to it, so Turbo it is.
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but 8-9 PSI is safe right? Aka not gonna blow the motor/tranny etc.

Anyways - here's the pic.

RcvF5.jpg

EDIT: Can a mod please change my thread title to PROTEGE and not BROtege.. That name wore off pretty fast..

what knob and shifter did you decide to go with?

8-9psi is safe on a forged motor, but questionable with stock rods. There are members that have blown their engines on the stock 6psi but others have run 9-10 without problems. Your best bet is to get all the supporting mods before you crank up the boost and a good tune or go forged haha

Last edited:
what knob and shifter did you decide to go with?

8-9psi is safe on a forged motor, but questionable with stock rods. There are members that have blown their engines on the stock 6psi but others have run 9-10 without problems. Your best bet is to get all the supporting mods before you crank up the boost and a good tune or go forged haha

Short shifter, TWM of course.
Knob, Skunk2 - 400grams.

As for supporting mods, are you referencing exhaust, cooling? As for tune, would the reflashed ECU be considered as a "good tune"?

Finally had the time to pop under the car last night to install the shifter bushings from TWM. Where have you been all my life?
To anyone complaining about stiff shifting, this is the answer. Maybe the combination of the short shifter, weighted knob. But as soon as I went out for a ride last night with these bushings.. like butter!!

Ps. Huge thanks to Briank_K for helping me understand my turbo situation much more.
Hopefully this spring I'll have it all together.

No update at the moment - with winter coming I probably won't be doing any modifications for a little bit.

Recently received in the mail some rally armour mud flaps (Thanks Rico) I'll be leaving my cheap canadian tire flaps on for the winter.

A project that I've been holding off of for awhile now is a projector set up, I never thought in the past that I would care much for it since I have HID's already.
But the projector set up just looks so much more clean, and the light output is so much more efficient.

I did some browsing online and found this kit, which I think would be worth the money - however if someone disagrees and has a good point, please let me know :)

(Warning: eBay link coming lol)

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

The kit looks to have just about everything I need, my question though is, in the pictures they provide I can't exactly tell how I would mount the projector into the housing - does the lens/shroud part come off exposing some mounting holes that I would put through my housing and then slip the lens/shroud over top of it to hide it?

Also - wtf are angle and devil eyes? I assume the angle eyes are halo eyes?

That's not bad either - the thing that was drawing me to the eBay set I posted was the devil/angel eye function.
In the set that you just posted though - what is that wire coming from the projector? is that the bulb already in it? :S

wire is for the solenoid that controls the high/low. and it does not come with bulbs unless you add them. you can also add the halos to these if you really wanted them..

For the price I'm probably better off with the BI Xenon set rather then adding halos to the other set, Thanks!

Last edited:
Subbed for some sexy midnight action. I like the black and blue direction you went. Much different than mine but I would drive the hell out of it!

You make me realize how bad I need some tint

i073hYBeqIYSE.jpg

Last edited:
Back