Flav's Mazda Protege5

Body is in pretty good condition. Considering I live in Ontario and its a 12 year old car. However, I did take it to a body shop this past summer to have the rust dealt with.

Here's a shot from Christmas

ZSHscZU.jpg

Looking good but you can keep that snow up there! lol

The Millenia PCV is supposed to be able to hold up to boost pressure, however unless you get the OEM millenia PCV it likely is the exact same as you already have. It isn't really much of an upgrade, you won't notice a difference and the car won't run any better.

^

Once I changed over to the millenia PCV I did notice that the smell of burning oil disappeared even when going hard on the car. Although now it's starting to smell a bit more like it might be the cat that's gone bad. (Great excuse to finally upgrade the exhaust)

Lately I have noticed my mileage is a bit funny. Funny how? Well.. After 180-190 km of highway driving (to work) that burns literally half a tank of gas. Within 6 months.. I have changed the fuel filter/pump as noted on this thread. The car has snow tires on now, and has a CAI on it. Any ideas as to why I'm getting such terrible gas mileage?

Wow that is unusually bad especially for highway. With 200 km city driving I still have 5/8 of a tank (little over half).

Have you done a tune up recently?

It's most likely the cold weather. Cold air=more power, and more power = worse fuel economy. I've noticed the same thing with my fuel economy. I get around. 550 kms a tank now where as in the summer I would get around 700 kms on a tank.

I finally have an update worth mentioning here. Today I took my car into a shop (I swear I only did it because I have absolutely no time or motivation to do it myself, I swear!!) to have my exhaust leak fixed. I also wanted them to fix the exhaust hangers that had rattled off leaving my exhaust bouncing around. But while I was there I decided "**** it, let's redo the entire exhaust" so, although its not very original.. I had them do a 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back with a magnaflow catback. It's definitely noticeable in sound and a little more noticeable in terms of powah. I still need to break in the exhaust which probably wont take long with my daily commute to work. I don't have any pics or sound clips yet, but hopefully I'll get something for you guys to look/hear within the week.

All and all, $300. If I'm honest, I'm not a huge fan of how it sounds. Gonna put a resonator in it to quiet down the sound.

Hey Flav , how much did you spend on fixing all the rust that was in your car ? I have the same problem with my MSP

I love looking at your thread as a whole and seeing how far your car has come:p I kind of feel I started out the same... not really knowing what I was doing. So glad I held back on a couple of tacky mods!

I've spent the past 2 hours going through every page of this thread. Beautiful car man! Do you still have it? JW cause of the big gap here lol anyways thanks for this dude! I got a lot of good info and ideas off reading all this.

I'm guessing either the car has been sold/wrecked or Flav forgot this thread exists? (shrug) Loved the way this P5 looked, nothing over the top, yet still looked great! Front lips add a nice "aggressiveness" to the car.

Here's a recent pic from today. Seems like more people notice the car with a bike actually on it..
Door's are 3/4 done now. Got too dark to post some better pics. Also need to show off the new short shifter/knob.
My progress probably won't be going to far at the moment seeing as I was just laid off (fml)
Hoping that by this coming summer I'll be going Turbo, I love this car so much.. Just wish it had some pep to it, so Turbo it is.
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but 8-9 PSI is safe right? Aka not gonna blow the motor/tranny etc.

Anyways - here's the pic.

RcvF5.jpg

EDIT: Can a mod please change my thread title to PROTEGE and not BROtege.. That name wore off pretty fast..

I know this is several years too late but if you're still out there what are the specs on these wheels and tires? Are you running any camber?

Back