Protege High Mileage Club

Did anyone check the timing belt?
If one or more teeth shear, the timing would most likely be off enough to cause some of the symptoms you describe.

On the way home today I saw the check engine light had come on so when I got home ( 20 miles ) I checked it out and I had the p0171 error code on my 03 protege today also. After checking it out I found the air intake hose had a bad crack in it at the opposite end from the MAF. I went to take it off and the whole thing came apart. Ordered another hose on line ( 20 bucks cheaper and with two day delivery works for me )

Last edited:
175k 2000 1.8 ES and the only issues I've had were weird things like the control relay, and occasionally not starting for no apparent reason.

Plus the occasional oil loss, no clue where from yet.

2000 Protege DX - High Mileage

any other high mileage proteges out there?

I've got my Special Edition, 2000 Mazda Protege at 279,xxx Miles. Basic maintenance, and most expensive repair was the cv axle. Runs great and starts every time!

Just rolled over 200k in my protege5...
uc

I also just sold my '01 Protege ES with 247k miles that is still running.

2002 Protege5 268,000 original clutch and CV joints Best car I ever owned. Bought it new. Uses a little oil, but runs and drives like new.

Sadly I had to say a final goodbye to my Protege earlier this year. 246,000 miles. Burned oil like crazy at the end
and I would have gotten it fixed but years of driving in the snow in Pittsburgh got to it. By the time I moved to Florida
the damage had been done.
I ended up donating it to the Southern Poverty Law Center, but I really miss that damn car.

Sadly I had to say a final goodbye to my Protege earlier this year. 246,000 miles. Burned oil like crazy at the end
and I would have gotten it fixed but years of driving in the snow in Pittsburgh got to it. By the time I moved to Florida
the damage had been done.
I ended up donating it to the Southern Poverty Law Center, but I really miss that damn car.

Yeah, when I got rid of mine, it was very bitter sweet. Loved that damn car.

Now that you're in Florida, you can go out and get a Miata :D

Yeah, when I got rid of mine, it was very bitter sweet. Loved that damn car.

Now that you're in Florida, you can go out and get a Miata :D

Hey Nik, you're still around!

You always had one of the nicest Proteges I'd ever seen.
I am looking for the right car and keep wavering between a Miata and an RX-7.

2002 Protege5 246700 miles. Starts first time every time. Rear motor mount is toast. Needs a new clutch now and 3rd gear is grinding.

Hey Nik, you're still around!

You always had one of the nicest Proteges I'd ever seen.
I am looking for the right car and keep wavering between a Miata and an RX-7.

Not really around anymore, only when I have issues with the wife's Mazda5. When I do come around, I surf a little bit :D

When I got rid of the Protege, I had bought a 2011 retractable hardtop Miata, and it was a total blast as a daily driver. However, the boys started to get older and I needed to become slightly more pratical, and I picked up a Mini Cooper S Clubman. Still a hoot to drive around, but not nearly as much fun as the Miata. I have a revised 3-year plan to have another Miata in the driveway as a third car.

Hi guys,

2005 Ford Lynx RS 2.0 FSDE (also known as Mazda Protege) owner here and its a love and hate relationship. Got the car last 2015 with 118,000 kms on it and spent a ton on replacing many parts but i love the feeling everytime i get to do these, i guess i really love my car. 146,000+ kms and mine eats up oil like crazy as well. I have just read the 59 page ( https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123700949-FS-DE-Oil-System/page59 ) about the FS DE's oil system but i have not seen from anyone's post who experienced a burnt oil smell from the aircon vents whenever i do spirited drivings. Any idea guys?

Thanks in advance!

Butch

Back