couple questions on the MP3 ECU

Looks like my thread got a little messed up when I originally posted it..so I'll re type my questions..

1. Does it matter what year the MP3 is?
2. Is this just a plug n play chip?
3. When I do install one, I need to run octane?
4. Can I go to my local jun yard and just rip out the chip out of some Mp3?
5. If not, where can I get one/how much will it run me?

And any other helpful info that you guys have would be nice too, thanks again.

Mp3 ecu?

Looks like my thread got a little messed up when I originally posted it..so I'll re type my questions..

1. No, all MP3 years will work.

2. You replace your existing ECU with the MP3 ECU.

3. It's recommended to run 91/93 octane for the most gains but it's not necessary.

4. Yeah, if there are any MP3's in the area getting one from a junkyard is fine.

5. SpicyorangeMSP on here can flash your existing ECU for $150 plus shipping.

so i can just replace the ecu in my 2000 with one from an mp3 or simply have my old ecu reflashed? is this a simple plug and play? what are the benefits?

MP3s were only made in 2001 and there were only 2000 ever made IIRC so you're best bet will probably be to get a reflashed one from spicyorangemsp. And the reflash is for 5 speed cars only.

How about the immo? Will my old car key work with new ecu?
the ecu swap doesn't effect anything but advance your timing for 10ho bump and if you don't use prem fuel you're kind of defeating the purpose of the swap and you'll prob getting some pinging

1. MP3's were made in 2001. Only 2001.
2. Just replace your current ECU with the MP3 ECU, switch to premium fuel, done.
3. Yes... you need to run octane, just as with any petrol car. Run premium (91+ octane) or you will ping and get detonation with the MP3 ecu.
4. Good luck finding an MP3 @ the junkyard. There were 1500 released in the US.
5. Check the f/s forums. SpicyorangeMSP has the ability to reflash a normal 3rd gen MTX ecu to the MP3 flash. It's $150 + shipping.

The mp3 ecu will only work a a 2.0 engine, the 2000's came with the 1.8, so it will not work in your car unless you swapped the engine.
so i can just replace the ecu in my 2000 with one from an mp3 or simply have my old ecu reflashed? is this a simple plug and play? what are the benefits?

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but this answered some of my questions and left some unanswered. My MP3 ecu has an issue of throwing P0031 no matter what, diagnosed it completely. That is the only issue however, so would flashing this ecu fix the issue or is this an issue with the internal hardware components short-circuiting? AND if that is the case, is there any possible way to replace the components inside of the ECU to fix the issue? I tore it apart halfway but stopped because of the sealant glue i didnt want to tear up. Thanks and sorry for reviving.

It says it's an o2 sensor. Did you try replacing it or making sure it's there? Did you change your header?

I dont want to seem rude, but I am 100% positive it is the ECU. I have two MP3s and replaced one with the other that runs perfect and the same code come up. That was after checking pins 93/94 for full continuity from the sensor and also buying a new sensor for it, as well as tracking the wiring back from the ignition coils and ground points on the vehicle as well. I located an 03 MSP ecu Im going to use and ive been told its direct plug and play, because the BCM determines the VIN. Just wondering if flashing the ECU would fix the issue of having the constant P0031 code show up... or if its internally fried. Cant tell how to check for that but a few of the pins read OL for connection with pin 93.

Back