In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Latest recommended options for Aux input?

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    '07 Mazda 5 & '05 Mazda 3i

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    163

    Latest recommended options for Aux input?

    I've owned an 07 Mazda5 for about 4 days now, and I've been reading up on what options are available to add an aux input on the car's stereo.

    The car it is replacing has a custom single-DIN bracket that I installed, and put a Sony HU in with Bluetooth and aux. But, my wife kind of likes the Mazda stereo (especially the steering wheel controls), so I'm not looking to gut it out and replace the whole thing just yet.
    It seems like there are some options for installing some sort of auxiliary port accessible with the unused "media" button... that would be ideal! However, in all my reading on this forum, it seems a lot of threads are out of date, discussing products that are no longer available (AuxMod?) or hard to find. Or perhaps there are just more modern and easier mods that I haven't stumbled upon in my research yet (something called GROM? Not sure what that is...).

    I'm hoping someone here can help me sift through all the info and lay it out for me straight- what are the most recommended CURRENT ways to add an aux input to the stock stereo?

  2. #2
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Illinois (U.S.)
    Posts
    729
    You can add steering wheel controls to the major brands of aftermarket radios. What is the model number of your Sony head unit? The adapter would be the PAC SWI-PS, $70 at Crutchfield and around $40 to $45 on eBay.

    As far as your question goes, I have no idea. Keep in mind that aux input is standard in the '08 model on up.

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    2005 Mazda5 1.8 MT

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    121
    http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/
    I use it in my 2005 Mazda5 and it has never disappointed me.

  4. #4
    Huh? What?

    '03 p5 and '89 4Runner; M5 (wife's)

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen, MD
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by deisz001 View Post
    http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/
    I use it in my 2005 Mazda5 and it has never disappointed me.
    Which one? The SKU224?

    I'm att he same crossroads. We don't use an Ipod or MP3 player, but our previous car had a Kenwood radio w/ a USB port right in front, we just streamed all music right off a standard thumb drive. IMO that is, by far, the way to go. No more CDs etc or a extra unit to have dangling.

    How is the interface/interaction with that unit? Do you get ID3 tags, track names etc on the HU display? I read one comment that one of the plu-in boxes just made it track numbers so you had to know/memorize the list, can't really search for stuff...?
    My weekend toy


  5. #5
    Registered Member

    2005 Mazda5 1.8 MT

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    121
    I have an old version (2007) which was then called AudioLink.
    On my version, no ID3 tags are shown on the HU, only disc and track number, so you indeed have to remember the track list.
    For me, this is no problem, since I mainly use the aux-input on the AudioLink to stream music from my R2H UMPC that sits on my dashboard.
    I don't know if the newer units support ID3 tags.

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    '07 Mazda 5 & '05 Mazda 3i

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat View Post
    You can add steering wheel controls to the major brands of aftermarket radios. What is the model number of your Sony head unit? The adapter would be the PAC SWI-PS, $70 at Crutchfield and around $40 to $45 on eBay.

    As far as your question goes, I have no idea. Keep in mind that aux input is standard in the '08 model on up.
    The Sony is a BT2500 (I think its discontinued now).
    I know the aux is standard now, I didn't realize the '07 didn't have it until I bought it. I was fishing around in the manual trying to find out where the blasted jack is because I remember seeing one at the mazda dealer on a new one. So disappointed to find this model doesn't have it!

    I suppose for another $50-$70 I could get the PAC adapter (nice find, thanks for pointing it out!), but then I'd also need a DIN mount bracket, Mazda-to-DIN cable adapter, and more time and effort I'd like to put into it at the moment (in my Sentra, I had a frustrating experience getting mounting brackets to line up with factory screw points). If there is no simpler way to just add a jack, I'll consider it, but I'm not leaning in that direction yet.

    Plus, I'd like to sell my old car with a stereo still in (factory stereo is long gone).

    Quote Originally Posted by deisz001 View Post
    http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/
    I use it in my 2005 Mazda5 and it has never disappointed me.
    That's cool, but I'm more interested in a straight-up 3.5mm aux jack than ipod controls (don't own an Apple-branded music player, thank-you-very-much! LOL). That box appears to have an optional aux jack if you pay a little more, but it seems silly to do that instead of a cheaper and cleaner install like the auxmod.

    What's really interesting to me is this post I stumbled upon which shows the cavity behind where the tape goes is actually a large empty space:
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showp...65&postcount=8

    Would be cool to have a 3.5mm jack right there, along with a little shelf to slip my player/phone/whatever into.

  7. #7
    Registered Member Wishmaster's Avatar

    07 Galaxy Gray AT Mazda5 GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Port Moody / Metro Vancouver / BC / Canada
    Posts
    401
    Not sure if you're still looking but the AuxMod website says they'll be available in 2 to 3 weeks. They work great, I used one in a 2005 Protege5 I used to have and it worked perfect.

  8. #8
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3
    I have a 2005 M5 -

    I haven't taken the sterion out yeat, but was wondering what the connectin was on the back for the AUX?

    Is it possible to plug in a standard mic jack to it (for my phone or MP3)?

    Thanks,

    JP

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    '07 Mazda 5 & '05 Mazda 3i

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by hellojp View Post
    I have a 2005 M5 -

    I haven't taken the sterion out yeat, but was wondering what the connectin was on the back for the AUX?

    Is it possible to plug in a standard mic jack to it (for my phone or MP3)?

    Thanks,

    JP
    Its a proprietary Mazda connection, hence the topic here.

  10. #10
    Registered Member Davebert's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by hellojp View Post
    I have a 2005 M5 -

    I haven't taken the sterion out yeat, but was wondering what the connectin was on the back for the AUX?

    Is it possible to plug in a standard mic jack to it (for my phone or MP3)?

    Thanks,

    JP
    Hi JP, there is a hack to get the AUX connection that I have read for the Mazda6. I could not find any information to see if the 6's radio is compatible with our 5's. This modification tricks the HU to think it has something connected to the 16 pin connector back of the unit and the HU will route the signal from that connector, amplify it and then to the speakers. Once wired up one just have to press the "Media" button to get to work. I have compiled all the information and redid the wiring diagram so it will be easier to following. I think this very similar to what the AuxMod board is doing.

    There is a mod where you take apart the radio and solder wires onto the CD input. But with this mod you will have to have a external switch to switch between the 2 sources.

    Maybe someone has more information regarding these mods. The first one would be pretty easy to do and great for us with older HU's that do not have an AUX input. Here is the reworked wiring diagram, the only thing I added was a 100Ohm resister between 2A(Ground) and 2M(RES/AUX CONT) to limit the current instead of shorting a connection directly to ground.


  11. #11
    Registered Member wmzda5's Avatar

    mazda5

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto East, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    565
    HI Davebert, have you tried this mod successfully in your 5? If so please post some pics. I am also interested in having an AUX input, I should have done this long time ago when it is available.
    Jess

  12. #12
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Davebert View Post
    Hi JP, there is a hack to get the AUX connection that I have read for the Mazda6. I could not find any information to see if the 6's radio is compatible with our 5's. This modification tricks the HU to think it has something connected to the 16 pin connector back of the unit and the HU will route the signal from that connector, amplify it and then to the speakers. Once wired up one just have to press the "Media" button to get to work. I have compiled all the information and redid the wiring diagram so it will be easier to following. I think this very similar to what the AuxMod board is doing.

    There is a mod where you take apart the radio and solder wires onto the CD input. But with this mod you will have to have a external switch to switch between the 2 sources.

    Maybe someone has more information regarding these mods. The first one would be pretty easy to do and great for us with older HU's that do not have an AUX input. Here is the reworked wiring diagram, the only thing I added was a 100Ohm resister between 2A(Ground) and 2M(RES/AUX CONT) to limit the current instead of shorting a connection directly to ground.
    Confirming this mod does work! The only thing I didn't use a resister.
    I haven't fully tested for radio interference or whining noise from the engine, but I will once i change my headphone wires.

    my install:



    Wired up


    Installing






    Sorry but I don't have picture of it located near my shifter but once its in I will.

  13. #13
    Registered Member wmzda5's Avatar

    mazda5

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto East, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBlue_5 View Post
    Confirming this mod does work! The only thing I didn't use a resister.
    I haven't fully tested for radio interference or whining noise from the engine, but I will once i change my headphone wires.

    my install:



    Wired up


    Installing






    Sorry but I don't have picture of it located near my shifter but once its in I will.

    Phantom, may I ask what year is your 5? I would like to do this mod next weekend
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  14. #14
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wmzda5 View Post
    Phantom, may I ask what year is your 5? I would like to do this mod next weekend
    Mine is 07 Sports

  15. #15
    Registered Member

    '07 Mazda 5 & '05 Mazda 3i

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    163
    How does this fare with buzzing/interference?

    Would love to see some pics of where you mount the plug, btw... having some trouble figuring out where I'd like to do that on mine!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Options for adding an auxiliary input on the Mazda3
    By icspots in forum Mazda3 Infotainment
    Replies: 276
    Last Post: 11-17-2017, 08:14 PM
  2. Factory Radio Upgrade Options (plus MP3 options)
    By chuyler1 in forum Mazda6 Infotainment
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 02:19 AM
  3. Cat-back exhaust options - looking for quiet options
    By TheRealDefman in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 11:04 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
  5. *Input Needed* 300 whp Flywheel and clutch options
    By Bala in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 03:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •