Wheel Vibration over 80mph

Redcallen

:
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT
I have a very noticable vibration in my steering wheel when approaching 80mph. Anything under 80 its fine. I have new front rotors, pads are halfway gone, and I've had my tires rotated and balanced about 2 times since i bought the tires about a year ago. I'm running 225/45/17. Could the tire width be the problem? Anyone know what it could be?

Last edited:
umm

did you have the car aligned properly,that could cause the problem

did you have the car aligned properly,that could cause the problem

Car doesnt pull to either side, so I have not had an alignment done. Do you think it would solve the problem? Its the only thing I haven't done. I was thinking about going back to stock tire size

Car doesnt pull to either side, so I have not had an alignment done. Do you think it would solve the problem? Its the only thing I haven't done. I was thinking about going back to stock tire size

Tire size doesn't matter. Sounds like your wheels are out of balance, but a bad alignment will do the same thing.

Check your steering tie rods. See if they are loose and check for tears in the boots.

Wheel bearings. Put your car on jack stands and try to "wiggle" each wheel back and fourth. If you find a wheel that does "wiggle" then it needs a new bearing.

Last edited:
Wheel bushings.

I think you mean wheel bearings... And by the time a bad wheel bearing would cause vibrations, you would hear it groaning, creaking and clunking 24/7, even @ 5 mph. Not just above 80mph...

I think you mean wheel bearings... And by the time a bad wheel bearing would cause vibrations, you would hear it groaning, creaking and clunking 24/7, even @ 5 mph. Not just above 80mph...

Haha thanks. That is not true though. They progressively get worse. Mine was vibrating when I drove over 100km/h for about 4 months until the day that it started grinding at slow speeds.

Try the jack stand method, even just to rule the possibility of it out.

Haha thanks. That is not true though. They progressively get worse. Mine was vibrating when I drove over 100km/h for about 4 months until the day that it started grinding at slow speeds.

Try the jack stand method, even just to rule the possibility of it out.

Fair enough. it's definitely worth checking, since it's so easy (and free) to check for.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I'll check the steering rods, and wheel bearings this weekend. I'll update with what I find.

I checked everything out....the rods are tight and there's no wiggle in the wheels. I did notice that the front left wheel has more weights than the right. The left has 7 7gram weights and the right has 5 7gram weights. I also noticed that the clip weights on the backs of the 2 wheels are different! I guess i need to get them rebalanced??

have you hit any pot holes lately? I hit one in Downtown atl and I didn't notice anything until I got home. I thought the wheels were out of balance but found out that I had a warped rim. So I bought my buddies rims. Get them balanced, and if the tech is good, he will notice that the wheel is not round.

I checked everything out....the rods are tight and there's no wiggle in the wheels. I did notice that the front left wheel has more weights than the right. The left has 7 7gram weights and the right has 5 7gram weights. I also noticed that the clip weights on the backs of the 2 wheels are different! I guess i need to get them rebalanced??

Dam....completely forgot about that, definitely check that.

dude 100% you wheel bearings change both in front . just pick up you car if you could move your tires side to side its you wheel bearing trust me . it just get gets worse. what there only what 50 bucks a pop

dude 100% you wheel bearings change both in front . just pick up you car if you could move your tires side to side its you wheel bearing trust me . it just get gets worse. what there only what 50 bucks a pop

Post #12

I manage a tire shop and deal with this every day. First step is to get the wheels/tires on a balancer. idealy it would be a road force balancer. it will cost extra to have your tires road force balanced but this will certainly reveal ANY vibration due to imbalance, out of round, or otherwise mismatched wheel/tire combos. not all tire shops have this equipment so it may take some searching.

as for the front end having worn out parts; you should be able to get whoever is doing the balancing to check your front end for free. they should also be willing to show you what is bad and what is good.

the alignment is a whole other story. the alignment itself WILL NOT cause your vibration. do not let anyone ever convince you otherwise. worn out parts/tires and out of round/balance wheels/tires will cause your vibration. my guess is they are simply out of balance.

My advice to most of the guys on this board is to find an educated and experienced tech that works on a variety of vehicles to take your car to. These cars aren't ferarri's or anything "exotic." They are unique and can present their own unique problems. I'm not saying that you need to have your "guy" fix everything for your or not be involved in the process, I just can't stress the value of an honest professional opinion and inspection.

You can choose to either invest a lot of time and money into tools and parts and try to fix things yourself - the learning curve can often be steep and expensive or you can save yourself a bundle and hire some help.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Back