How To: Make an AUX input for FREE

This was so easy. I didn't use a CDrom cable because i couldn't find one in the junk at work so i used the cables that connect to the front USB port and power button of the computer. I only wish that the steering wheel controls would control the MP3 player/phone. Oh well easiest mod and didn't cost me a thing. Gotta love it. Thanks people. No if anyone knows a way to get USB to work like this i'm all ears.

Mine non bose stereo went fried when performing this mod ,, a big warning to everyone who has an non bose stereo .
I found a schematic for the non bose stereo , pin 13 is the ACC power ( accessorie power supply) connecting pin 13 to pin 1 ( ground)= short circuit !! .
so now I must find a new stereo .
I dont have the url at the moment for the schematics but you can find it when entering the makers partnumber its written on a small sticker on the actual stereo

Want to confirm (before I tear the dash apart) that this will work with my stereo:
2006 Mazda 5 with the 6-CD changer.
I was wondering if that connector on the back of the radio isn't the one that the 6-CD changer plugs into and I won't be able to do this mod.
I really want an aux input on my stereo. Oh, and a USB power port at each seat too!

i assume its the same indash 6 cd changer that my Speed6 has, in that case, yep, you will work fine.

Mine non bose stereo went fried when performing this mod ,, a big warning to everyone who has an non bose stereo .
I found a schematic for the non bose stereo , pin 13 is the ACC power ( accessorie power supply) connecting pin 13 to pin 1 ( ground)= short circuit !! .
so now I must find a new stereo .
I dont have the url at the moment for the schematics but you can find it when entering the makers partnumber its written on a small sticker on the actual stereo

interesting...you are the first person that has reported any issues with this change. maybe you have a different headunit in Sweden?

Just a heads up to everyone - this worked without a problem on my 2007 Mazda5

Next I will be trying my 2006 Tribute. Anyone had luck with that?

Last edited:
Hey, great thread! I had fun working through the process tonight, but could never actually get my stereo to switch to the new auxiliary input when I tried pressing the SAT and MEDIA buttons (wasn't sure which one it used). It just stayed on the CD mode. I made sure I had the two plugs in the right locations and connected my phone to play music from it. Any ideas about what I might be missing or doing wrong? I didn't have anything to solder with, so I just secured the connections with electrical tape, but I made sure the connection from the 1st to the 13th pin locations was true.

The only thing that should matter for the AUX/Media button to work is the 1-13 jumper. If thats not working for you, I would assume that the pin out must be different in your car. You said in your PM that you have a 3, correct?

Has anyone else done this on a 3?

Success! Even after looking at the diagram many times, I had the orientation wrong for the pins. Once I got the connectors situated correctly, the media button began working, so 3's can definitely use this guide.

...I'm jealous of all of you :/
I tried this mod a looooong time ago and couldn't get it to work on my Bose system in my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring. I still don't know what I did wrong!

Hi, Do you know if this mod will work with a 2005 Mazda 3? The back of the HU looks exactly the same. I tried doing this with the CD cable and 3.5mm male end off some old buds. Tested all my connections with a meter but no sound when I installed it. I did some more research online and found a different pinout which appears to be identical to yours but upside down. (I may be reading it wrong.) The power ground is in upper right hand corner followed by the 2 speaker connections and the signal ground, moving right to left. I've attached the link to the image.. Any help would be appreicated. Thanks!

attachment.php

yeah, upside down. The clip is on the bottom in the car.

OK, that's good news and bad.. I connected everything right! I figured it was safer to use your directions than guess.. :) Any idea why it won't work? Tested all my connections for continuity with no shorts... Thanks.

what part doesn't work? no audio? or no AUX/Media button?

Success! Even after looking at the diagram many times, I had the orientation wrong for the pins. Once I got the connectors situated correctly, the media button began working, so 3's can definitely use this guide.

was anything different for the 3?

Both, I have a "Tape/MD" button

hmmm. check to make sure your wiring is correct for the cd-rom cable (if using one) there was one person that told me the cable he was using had different wiring than my diagram (and normal cables), so make sure that the wires are connectign to the right pins.

O.K. did a little more research about the "Tape/MD" button... apparently that button functions with the input plug on the bottom of the HU and not the 16 pin plug on the back that everyone seems to use in this thread. Any ideas?

Will this work with a 2006 Mazda 3?

Hi all. This is like a great mod. Does anyone know for sure that it will work with 2006 Mazda 3?

O.K. did a little more research about the "Tape/MD" button... apparently that button functions with the input plug on the bottom of the HU and not the 16 pin plug on the back that everyone seems to use in this thread. Any ideas?

The Pinout on the back of the HU allows the Tape/Media button to be activated.

The stub-out on the bottom was for the optional Mini-Disc player available in the JDM versions. Jumping the pins at the connect activates the button and allows for the input.

The mod works, I used it but I was losing the right-side speakers so I moved to the Aux input that uses that stubout once they went back on sale and added a Groundloop isolator inline. I've had zero problems.

Latest posts

Back