How To: Make an AUX input for FREE

Planning on doing this to my Mazda 5...

pinout is about the same I think, right?

Last edited:
So I just did the aux mod. Easy if you know some wiring tech. Sounds great cost me ten dollars for the connectors and a 3 foot input jack. thanks for the how to.

Can you use the steering wheel controls on the mp3 player after this has been done?

all this mod allows you to do is use your car's speakers instead of headphones. You can use it with any devise that has a jack for headphones...ipod, mp3, or phone. You can control the volume from the steering wheel but that's it. If you want to change tracks or playlists you have to do it on the device.
Hope that helps

I was going to buy a Parrot or IOPlay and install for about 200 - but then I saw this, and installed it myself. I fitted 2xUSB ports while I was at it for recharging and also fitted a jack socket in a housing in the upper compartment. I bought a sony headphone bluetooth adapter for 15 off ebay, attached it to the usb power and jack socket and now I have bluetooth music from my android phone - using spotify I can have any tune I want in my car - wirelessly. Thanks to this thread. You're a genius. Cheers mate.

Thanks!

I don't know why I waited so long to do this given I've got boxes of old computer parts always sitting around. I found a 4 pronged computer cable that worked along with a nice 3+ foot headphone cable (think old school, not ear bud cable), ran that underneath the shifter/cupholder area, drilled a small hole next to the charger socket in the center armrest area, and now all is good. Gigs and gigs of music from my Android with perfect sound reproduction. Nothing too elegant with my approach, but the charger and aux cable just sit in the armrest when not in use so no problems there.

hi all, i found this for older mazda stereos ('97 mazda protege)

Car Stereo iPod input

just wondering if this method will work for 2003 models (obviously the cd changer pinout is different than the link above, but i believe it to be the same as post #36)

he connects the acc 12v DC to the AUX pin by means of a switch with a 1Kohm resistor in series which fools the unit into thinking there's a line-in connected. does this make sense to anybody with respect to connecting the AUX in pin 13 to ground? what is the difference?

my stereo is the 2193 model shown here (without the tape deck):

2193.jpg

Last edited:
A few questions

Hi everyone. This looks like it helped a lot of people, so I thought it would give it a try. I'm pretty new to these kinds of projects... so forgive the basic questions.

1) I have a 2003 Miata with the bose factory stereo. Are the pins aligned the same?
2) Instead of cutting an earbud set, could I use speaker wire to make all of the connections?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks a bunch! Awesome info. I did this on my 2006 Mazda5 Touring 5MT and it works great.

Davicho - looking at doing this with my 2007 Mazda5. Have any Mazda5-specific pointers that are not included in this thread?

Ok just got the parts for this mod.....I got the 3.5mm stereo jack that worbit got.....It has 3 prongs. 2 on the bottom and one on the side. Do I just cut off the male part and wire the 3 wires to the jack?

Wow....Easiest mod I've ever done. Went back to radio shack and took back the stereo jacks and just both an extension with the female and male ends ( just cut off the male end ) and pretty much like coleman did. I was going to use my headphone jacks but they were really cheap and the wires werent shielded. The CD-ROM connectors made it even easier so Thanks Wannabe for the great write up and thanks for saving me at least $100. The extension cost me $10 for an 8ft piece which I really didnt need....I have 4 ft of it wire tied. I did notice that if I have the ipod plugged in to the charger and playing music I do get interference but I'm really not worried about it, I just wont charge it while I'm listening to it. That's why I have the luxury of the 6 disc changer/ FM radio while it charges.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the L716 Mod will allow this to work on a 2004 HU?

I went through all the steps but couldn't get the Tape/MD button to do anything, and only later discovered that it's a known problem on the 2004!

Anyone have any answers for this question??? I have an '04...don't want to go through all this only to find it won't work. lol

Also, is there any way to hook up a USB in this way, or do I need to buy a $100+ interface? I just need a simple USB hookup for my music....no MP3, no fancy iPod....JUST USB Flashdrives!

you'll need a way to control the music, so you need an interface. the aux input just simply plays the audio that comes through. radio controls ONLY control the volume.

Back