How To: Make an AUX input for FREE

props on the mod, the 3.5 jack is very clean coleman. I'm prob going to do this on my 07 MS6 now :) Thanks wannabe and coleman. is that a usb as well that i see??

amazing thank you so much for this write up. Taking a trip to NJ in three months and dont have a casset player in the ms6 like the audi so i needed a new form of hookup and i hate the radio connections! I needed my ipod for the trip for sure, plus I have Pandora on my phone. Should have this done this weekend!

my solution ...

jack_1.jpg

jack_2.jpg

So you have a power adapter too for charging?

finished the mod this weekend and everything wors and sounds great. Thank you to everyone that contributed.

coalman- how did you make the usb charger? Is that tapped into the cig lighter?

i was thinking about just taking a standard car USB charger like this one and just tapping in a usb port. I already have a cigarette lighter splitter under my console.

in case anyone is wondering how to do that, just buy a standard cigarette lighter splitter, cut the male end off and tap it into the wires going into the stock lighter.

Ok, got a few questions here before going into this full bore.....

So I bought the D-sub connector along with a 3.5mm AUX port, some electrical tape, and a male to male 3.5 connector cable.

IMG_0359.jpg

I'm a completely n00b when it comes to this sort of thing, so I wanted to know if my first step is hooking up the old headphone cable to the d-sub connectors. Do I separate each cable to its own connector and then break them off? Also, what other cable will I need to jump port 13? I hope I'm a somewhat clear with my questions.......

wirecuts.jpg

Worbit,

I did this mod on Friday.

A few tips:
-You can use any small gauge wire to bridge #1 and #13
-You will need separate each connector. The pins on the back are very close together.
-Use a pair of needlenose pliers to pinch the connector ends together that slide over the radio's pins. If you don't, they are loose and fall off.
-I used shrink wrap on the opposite end of the connector where the headphone wire connect. I did this only because the connectors are so close together, if they do touch, there wouldn't be any signal crossing or arcing.

Other than that, it was a very easy mod. I got hung up on the radio removal because the regular Mazda6 with manual air is different than the MS6 with auto air.

It works awesome. Thanks for the to-do

Good luck.

i just did this mod... just now.
like Elite130, i shrink wrapped just about everything, i also used the pin method. if you can find a cd-rom audio cable it would seem easier. i used a female phone jack like Coleman.
located in the armrest next to the cig lighter.
googleing tip ring sleeve helps with the wiring if you dont know how to do it.

Thank you SOOOOO much!!! I just did this and it only took me about an hour. Sounds way better than my fm modulator.

YES!!!! I just did this as well! Sounds AMAZING and really brought my Bose system to life!

Last edited:
It is possible to wire both, ipod and sat radio to run off of the same port. It is explain in a similar thread at -----6club
I used this method on my JVC head unit of my F150, to wire an ipod adapter and a 3.5mm jack for my Droid.
The user @ 6club doesn't do the best job of explaining though.

I must add that the difficulty level jumps a few notches...
And so a few more supplies are added, most of which you guys probably already have:
Solder and Soldering Iron,
a few lengthy pieces of speaker wire(<=18 gauge) depending on the location of your jack.
heatshrink & matches/ lighter, ect...
A trip to radioshack...

Bump for explanation....

Last edited:
Ok.. I did this, but when my media source is plugged in (Phone, Bluetooth adapter, etc) to the car's power via the Lighter ports (Either one, front or armrest), I lose audio to the right side of the car..

Any ideas? Ground Isolation loop need to be wired in? This does NOT happen when I have just the 3.5mm cable plugged in and the source is not hooked to the power system..

I had no problems with this mod as far as installing it. I do notice that when I have it plugged into the cig lighter, I will get a very faint hissing sound.....nothing that turning up the volume cant fix :D

Ok.. I did this, but when my media source is plugged in (Phone, Bluetooth adapter, etc) to the car's power via the Lighter ports (Either one, front or armrest), I lose audio to the right side of the car..

Any ideas? Ground Isolation loop need to be wired in? This does NOT happen when I have just the 3.5mm cable plugged in and the source is not hooked to the power system..

This sounds odd, but signs do point to a ground issue. But the ground issue doesn't sound like its in the aux mod, it sounds like its internally in the device.
To test my theory, try plugging your device into the cig lighter and try listening to you music with headphones. If it looses sound to one side as well your device(or charger) has a ground issue. if it only does this when plugged into the aux port, then your aux mod needs a ground isolator.
But this still doesn't make sense to me. The two are really not that closely related at all. You probably have some poorly shielded wiring for your aux mod. make sure no metal or wiring is exposed or rubbing against something else. Your cig power wires might be too close to your aux mod wires, since its DC, current only flows when something is plugged in and accepting power. when current starts flowing it can cause static with poorly shielded wiring.
Another test is to plug in something completely random like a cig lighter flash light or cig lighter compressor and test the sound with your device not plugged into the power source.
I dont get this issue with mine at all, and my aux port is located right next to the cig lighter in the arm rest. and my GPS is always plugged into that one(accepting current for the led). and my bluetooth adapter is plugged into the one under the stereo. I used heat shrink shielding on my setup.
Let me know if any of this is confusing or you need additional help.

just finished my install today, took about 1-1/2 hours, i have a computer graveyard at work and was able to find plenty off connectors. awesome write up, great mod, super easy. make sure your wires are all connected good when you splice, i had a little issue at first with volume levels but fixed it. sound quality is great. cheers

FOR THOSE LOOKING TO DO THIS MOD. YOU CAN ALSO YANK THE WIRE FROM THE COOLING FANS (MOST FANS) IN THE COMPUTER BOX, THEY HAVE NICE ENDS THAT WILL PLUG IN.

Last edited:
Back