Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: How To: Make an AUX input for FREE

Registered Member

1988 Mazda RX-7, 2006 Mazda5 Manual

Thanks everyone for the instructions on how to do this. I just attempted this weekend since the dash was apart to replace the blower motor, and it seems to be working well! I used the separate L- and R- connections (pins 4 & 6 instead of 7) for the left & right channel grounds, and it sounds very clear regardless of whether the phone is charging or not. I also added a USB port connected to the cigarette lighter for charging, and a pocket where the blank panel/cassette player would otherwise live.

Registered Member

Mazda 6, 2006

Can anyone please confirm that this works on the regular 6 (with non-bose), not the speed6. I'd hate to fry my unit

Registered Member

Mazda Protege5 2002

Does anyone know if the same will work for 2002 Protege5?

Registered Member

Mazda 6s 2004 3.0L V6

Quote Originally Posted by buba View Post
    yes I was right "assuming" that the ground would be pin 14. Unfortunately i forgot to clean the lens physically so the only problem I had today morning was skipping cd during driving on not flat roads. Then I put a self-made lens cleaner and cleaned the laser. The disk never skips now, finds track much faster and keeps it. I want to try to write a blank CD with 2 tracks. The first 70 min silence and the second 5 or 10 minute silence tracks and put the last i.e. second track on repeat mode. In this case the second track would be written on the outer bigger radius part of the cd and I think it would be "easier" for the laser head to read data. I will give a try tomorrow and post my results. Also I modified my old Griffin Road Trip FM modulator and took Ipod lineout from it and it is charging and playing the same time holding my ipod in vertical position switched in sigarete lighter. Also when i turn off the engine, Ipod stops automatically.

In any case, I want to thank you for a BRILLIANT idea. The difference is HUUUUUUUUUGE. I have JBL sub with pioneer amp installed and it delivers MUCH better power via AUX rather from FM modulator.

EDIT: CANCEL THAT it worked just fine
    A bit late to the game; but I recently acquired a decent 2004 Mazda 6, I'm attempting buba and Dragan's method at page 8 but mine has a Bose setup(no small side PCB):
    Link to album with some more details
    Top chassis:

Bottom PCB:

So where do I solder my wires to? Do I assume 14 like you? This reference makes it more confusing: http://forum.mazda6club.com/car-elec...se-wiring.html

Here's another reference: http://mazda-speed.com/faq/audio/

EDIT: I went ahead and soldered red/right to pin 15 on the lower PCB, ground to 14, and white/left to pin 13. Works like a charm, now to make blank CDs.
    Last edited by ascian; 12-11-2015 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Image links

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 6i

I just spent half the day trying to do this. Lessons learned.
    1. Don't use a headphone cable. They have Teflon, Kevlar, or whatever those strands are that refuse to get out of the way. And then you have to melt the enamel off the wires which never seems to burn off all the way. Use an extension cable or a thicker cable that came with PC speakers. They usually have 3 rubber coated wires LEFT, RIGHT and Shield (Bare).
    2. Don't go back and forth between the picture of the radio and the wiring diagram. One is upside down and it will confuse the snot out of you. Especially since one is labeled 1234 and the other is ABCD.
    3. Not sure why but when I pluged it in upside down my radio allowed media mode but had no audio. Not sure why that worked the way it did.
    4. I wired RIGHT to 3(2C) and LEFT to 5(2E) and split the audio shield between 4(2D) and 6(2F) and left 2G empty. This resulted in the LEFT and RIGHT being out of phase with each other which doesn't make any audio or electrical sense at all. I moved the pin from 6(2F) to 7(2G) and everything sounded fine.
    5. The shortest most difficult connector to plug in is the radio cable. the other one is for AC I think.
    6. I was delightfully surprised that the radio remembers different volume levels for each source.
    7. To pull the pins out of the CD audio cables a safety pin works best. It's sharp strong and wont slice your finger open.
    8. I soldered the headphone cable directly to the pin. I hate soldering two wires toghether it never holds well. I used an old IDE drive to hold the pins still while I soldered.
    9. IDE cables don't fit. The pins are distanced just slightly too small to just lop off the first 16 pins of a floppy cable. (that was the first hour of my frustration)

No one has posted pictures of their completed headphone adapters so here is mine. https://www.dropbox.com/s/msncn5gzpkcap3x/IMG_6390.JPG

I flipped the diagram, duplicated it, and added numbers to help clarify which pins are which. This orientation is with the radio and "FM75Ω" right side up. https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0pbjxyccqph453/auxcon2.gif
    Last edited by mattbatt; 12-11-2015 at 01:28 AM.

OG mazda owner~ xxxmonoxidechil's Avatar
    Potential Scammer!

If you have an 06+, id just spend the $2 shipped on a plug and play cable. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Mini-J...BWK57g&vxp=mtr

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by xxxmonoxidechil View Post
    If you have an 06+, id just spend the $2 shipped on a plug and play cable. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Mini-J...BWK57g&vxp=mtr
    Wow didn't realize it was that cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport
    19 x 10 Ace Alloy Convex
    235/35R19 Falken Tires
    Next Mod Auto Exe Lip Kit
    CP-E Intake Xcel CAI
    Turbo XS RFL BOV

Instagram 1wicked6
    My Speed6 # 06582
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/391065...edan-4d/page-1 <----for more pics go here
    Feature on loweredlifestyle.com
    http://loweredlifestyle.com/one-wicked-six/
    Feature on Evojm's Adventures
    http://evojm27.wordpress.com/2012/08...ed-6/#more-298
    Feature on Mazdafitment
    http://mazdafitment.com/2012/12/11/one-wicked-six/

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 6i

Well crap I wish I would have known... Actually in looking at the pic it looks like they tied vehicle ground to audio ground then to pin 13. That's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxmonoxidechil View Post
    Last edited by mattbatt; 12-15-2015 at 01:11 AM.

Registered Member

2002 Mazda 626

Quote Originally Posted by mattbatt View Post
    Well crap I wish I would have known... Actually in looking at the pic it looks like they tied vehicle ground to audio ground then to pin 13. That's weird.
    Hi guys

I will like to know if this procedures will work for my 2002 mazda 626 stereo.

Registered Member

2005 mazda 6 s Hatch

hi, i'm using the ratshack connector. can someone highlight on how to jumper pin 1-13 using the connector.

thanks

Registered Member

2005 mazda 6 s Hatch

so I have 05 Mazda 6 but my cd changer will not load any CDs, with some CDs stuck in too. when i switch it to Cd it says no Disk. is this method going to work for me or any ideas.
    Thanks

Registered Member

2005 mazda 6 s Hatch

Stuck CDs

Quote Originally Posted by FrankCarrillo View Post
    OK, after some searching in the thread, I found a number of potential solutions which involve my soldering wires to the PCB board and playing a "silent CD" (Posted by Dragan and buba). Not sure I can follow those instructions completely - see my reference to my soldering skills... :-)

Has anyone figured out an alternate solution? Really frustrating that Mazda did not make the radio a little more flexible in being able to add a simple AUX input.
    Do you think this will work with my CD changer saying "do disk" with cds stuck inside it?
    Any ideas would be much appreciated

Registered Member

Mazda 6, 2.0 dohc 16V touring Kombi

Thanks to the OP and all who have contributed. I've used this info today to convert my 2004 non-Bose Mazda 6 touring to have an aux input using buba's blank CD method with Dragan's trick of soldering direct to the PCB. Reminder - do not try to short pin 13 on the back of the radio on a pre-2006 car! I'll add some pics and notes from what I learned, in case it helps anyone:

First pics of the stereo opened up
    image.jpeg

Lower PCB board (under the CD player)
    [ATTACH=TCONFIG]214661[/ATTACH]

Upper cd board (attached to underside of CD player)
    image.jpeg

Upper board after wires soldered:
    image.jpeg
    Pinout is the same as the (labelled) connector on the lower board. The ribbon cable is direct pin to pin after all. So from left on the top row you have audio right, audio left. On the bottom row the LHS pin is audio ground. Do use hot glue to anchor the cables before you solder them!

Ok, lessons learned.

- First, the tip to refit the gear knob is a good one, it does save scratching your trim
    - Second, the cup holders on the 2004 car don't have the plastic tabs referred to in the OP, you simply grab the whole unit including fascia and pull it up hard. Then squeeze the two tabs which lock it to the next panel (gearshift fascia) and release them
    - it feels so wrong to start pulling your car apart but I suffered no snapped clips or damaged plastics. Trust the instructions and use a bit of grunt
    - when removing the centre trim you need to unplug at the rear of the radio and the side of the radio, but the lower connectors can stay attached. You can unscrew and remove the radio without taking them apart.
    - taking the top off the radio doesn't require removal of any screws, just prize it off with a flat blade screwdriver
    - a magnetised small crosspoint Philips screwdriver will be very handy for removing the CD player, as the two screws at the front are buried deep
    - remember to thread the audio cable / cables thru holes in the case BEFORE you hot glue and solder them
    - I soldered to the top board (the one which is attached to underside of the CD player) and found this much easier than the lower board, as it's more accessible. Even though the lower board is the one which is labelled, the connections do of course make it through that ribbon cable in a straight line, so you can see easily enough where they appear on the top board.
    - use hot glue to hold the cable close to the solder connections, and more to anchor the cable as it leaves the PCB. Use a cable tie to strain relieve the cables as they pass through the radio case. You don't want to be taking the radio apart and resoldering because someone dropped their phone and gave the audio cable a tug.

I think that's it. It was a lot easier than I expected. Only hard parts were getting started on taking out the cup holders, and persuading my old windows laptop to burn a blank audio cd!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Mazda 6 2.0 TS TDI

Hi guys,

Apologies for digging up an old thread, i'm new here...my first post!

I've recently bought myself a Mazda 6 estate 2003...it's a runner for work but it's still in a very tidy condition and at a steal for £600 with 12 months MOT and no advisories, drives sweet as a nut...very happy indeed.

I'd like to thank the guys here for discussing this mod as it's helped big time, i'm all about the comforts and having the aux jack in my car is one thing I have to have...

What brings me here is after installing this mod, this was done by soldering the headphone cable or in my case a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack with one end cut off to the CD PCB inside the stereo. I've done that with the cable then coming out of the top center pocket (where the satnav would be if I had one) but also I've added another cigarette lighter socket which if tee'd of the original cigarette light and hid that behind the dash/radio with the USB charging cable also coming through the same hole in the center pocket, this then means I have a permanent phone/tablet charger without bottlenecking the 12v socket and no messy wires. I've done the thing with the hinge (YouTube - Galaxy Tab im Mazda 6 (sorry for advertising another website) for those who haven't seen this) with my Samsung Tab 3 and works/fit's/looks great, except one thing...I get a hum/frequency noise that get more high pitched with the engines revs but this only happens when it's charging if I disconnect the USB then it's goes away. I'm assuming this is some kind of ground issue...

Before I take my dash apart again to take a look which will probably be at weekend, I was wondering if anyone might have any idea's or even better a guarantee for the fix, again thanks this thread alone has been big help.

Mazda 6 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    what part doesn't work? no audio? or no AUX/Media button?
    Hello, need help for the same problem. I tried all combinations but no solution. I got Mazda 6 2002 and need help how to turn on AUX/Media button to show on display.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011