How much to paint a hood?

IggyPop

:
Titanium MSP
Yuh think? My titanium hood is looking pretty beat and has a nice ding in it. I found a primed hood on ebay for 175$shipped. I was just wondering how much you think to get it painted? Maybe I should just go carbon fiber. I dunno.

Last I saw a quote for mine, it was ~$250-$300... That's a high end quote from an insurance adjuster. After a non-liable accident, I ended up getting a CF hood for less than $100 on top of what it would have been for an OEM hood + paint.

yeah, paint from a dealership should run you about 300, but that may include prep and priming. 250-300 is probably a reasonable guess.

Last I saw a quote for mine, it was ~$250-$300... That's a high end quote from an insurance adjuster. After a non-liable accident, I ended up getting a CF hood for less than $100 on top of what it would have been for an OEM hood + paint.

Yeah, I'm finding CF hoods for 450 shipped. Any suggestions of a good reliable place to get one from? I have never seen a CF hood in person. So I don't know if it looks ricey or classy. Sometimes I think when people do CF all over their car it looks a little silly. just my opinion though.

Yeah, I'm finding CF hoods for 450 shipped. Any suggestions of a good reliable place to get one from? I have never seen a CF hood in person. So I don't know if it looks ricey or classy. Sometimes I think when people do CF all over their car it looks a little silly. just my opinion though.

Here's my front end. VIS CF Evo hood. I'm actually trading to a CG OEM CF hood this weekend, hopefully. I'm stoked :D

DSC00797.jpg

Here's a couple more close ups for you.

DSC00702.jpg

Light's kinda funny in this pic, but it shows the CF Weave pretty well.

DSC00697.jpg

Last edited:
I had my Gemini Composites reverse cowl CF hood sanded down, custom painted, and re-clear coated for $300.

PHood3.jpg

PHood4.jpg

PHood5.jpg

I got this CF hood sitting in back that is a bit faded and you can feel the weave. I've been wondering this same question. I really want fo install this hood but I have no clue how much it's going to cost to paint and/or reclear it. Do they just clear it or do they have to add epoxy or resin or something over the areas where you can feel the weave.
I actually considered painting liquid glass on it to see if that would fix it.

I got this CF hood sitting in back that is a bit faded and you can feel the weave. I've been wondering this same question. I really want fo install this hood but I have no clue how much it's going to cost to paint and/or reclear it. Do they just clear it or do they have to add epoxy or resin or something over the areas where you can feel the weave.
I actually considered painting liquid glass on it to see if that would fix it.

200 is about right for reclearing a hood at a decent shop.

maaco would be cheaper most likely....the trick to getting a good maaco paintjob is to find the painter of your car/part and tipping him before hand to make sure it comes out just right.

I really want fo install this hood but I have no clue how much it's going to cost to paint and/or reclear it. Do they just clear it or do they have to add epoxy or resin or something over the areas where you can feel the weave.
You can feel the weave on the CF hood you have? Yeesh .. that's pretty bad. My hood just had a little clouding in one spot -- but I figured that if I was gonna get any paint done, I might as well go nuts! ;) .. Anyhoo, mine was sanded down thoroughly, painted, and then got a few nice layers of clear coat. No epoxy or other stuff.

I would NOT trust Maaco, though .. Way too generic. Do some research in your area for a reputable body shop that you can trust with CF. It will cost more, but trust me, it will be money well spent in the end!

Rush, thats a beautiful hood.
Thanks! Wish I could say I still own it .. but I finally sold it almost six months after my MSP was totaled. I had a really hard time getting rid of it, and I bawled like a baby for about an hour after the new owner drove away with it, LOL.

let me tell you a little story that happened to my friend with maaco.

he took his car there cause he hit someone from the front of his car. the lip was ****** up. so insurance sent the money to them. he was driving by and saw they were trying to fit a regular protege bumper when they said they had a msp lip for the front. now while insurance had already sent the check they claimed they hadnt gotten it so the sent him to collection. then when all is said and done he goes to get his car and he says do i need to sign anything? they say no so he drives off. 2 or 3 days later they call him and say his car is stolen.

Thanks! Wish I could say I still own it .. but I finally sold it almost six months after my MSP was totaled. I had a really hard time getting rid of it, and I bawled like a baby for about an hour after the new owner drove away with it, LOL.

I totally understand this. Its hard for me to look at the condition of my car as it is now.

On a side note I'm gonna try and get this hood from XC, I forgot how much I loved that hood of yours...I might just have to paint it like that

Back